Choice for Motion center?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crussader

Reaction score
I thought I was a few years away from being an ML owner, but I happened into Best Buy last night and they were clearing out the LX16s at $199. That was too good to pass up, and I bought 4 of them to use in a 5.1 setup.

The question is what to use for a center channel. I am debating between the Motion 30 and the SLM. Which would you recommend for a system that is used 99.9% of the time for movies?

given your directives, the 30 is the choice. The SLM is for challenging install demands with its extrememly shallow cabinet but will ulimately be limited in dynamics and bass response as compared to the 30. Good buy on the LX 16, a great little project that resulted in the 20, 40s, 30s based on those initial results.

The SLM is for challenging install demands with its extrememly shallow cabinet but will ulimately be limited in dynamics and bass response as compared to the 30.

Thanks for the response!

Makes sense, and is what I suspected, but let me throw in a couple of other factors:

1) I do have an install issue. Based on the cabinet I am using, the 30 would fit on a shelf about 4" from the floor while the SLM would fit on a shelf 13" from the floor. Does that make a difference in which to choose?

2) There is a cost difference. How much audible difference is there in dynamics and bass response? Are we looking at an obvious major difference, or something relatively subtle? I have been leaning toward the 30, but unfortunately I do have to consider what I am getting for the extra 30% that the 30 costs over the SLM.

Wtih 60% of movie sound on that center, i don't want to shortchange that. the 30 has a 5 degree slope on one side so you may place it low with its drivers angled upward to help with that scenario. Bigger drivers, more air volume internally over the SLM means it can be crossed lower and have more of a dynamic envelope. Granted we are happy with the SLM (go ahead and compare to some other more expensive slim types) but really can't be used below 100hz. Voicing will be good with either as we work hard to make them all as universal as possible for intermixing.

I have the Motion 30 and really enjoy it. I had the C2 beforehand and returned it for this one, I honestly think it's a better center all around. I have it matched to a pair of EM-ESLs and 4 Motion 4s.

I am in a similar situation, although I was planning to use the Motion 4 in the rears, and the LX16 in the front. I have a very challenging center channel situation, as I have a fireplace directly under the TV, which is already mounted pretty high. My center will have to go either on the mantle, or on an omnimount just in front of the mantle. I am thinking to use either the SLM in the former case, or the motion 6 in the latter (both are shallow enough to work). Which would be recommended to match? Note that its an open floor plan with a cathedral ceiling, so very challenging acoustics.

The SLM will now be the better choice because of bigger drivers/passive radiators. Both will have a practical bandwidth that is very similiar so budget and cosmetic will be deciding factors here. How about the 8? probably the best overall choice for cost/performance but it is certainly deeper than either of the others.

Back