Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MiTT's 2012 RMAF show report

Default MiTT's 2012 RMAF show report

There is a huge line outside the front door of the hotel for this years RMAF, so I'm just wandering about waiting for things to clear out. I'll post similar to the last couple of years by capturing impressions real time on my iPad and then coming back later to add photos.

Hang on, here we go...

MiTT
    Tim Bingaman

All Music...All the time...Commercial Free...

If you want to see System 95 click here

Default Woo Audio

Since I'm still waiting to go get my attendee badge I just popped into the Can Jam area where all of the headphone gear is. First stop is Woo Audio where I just listened to their new WA7 integrated USB DAC and Headphone amp. Great industrial design and sound for only $777.00. Also on display were their new WTP-1 top loading CD Transport and WDS-1 DAC, both listed at $1199.00. Those of you who have seen the Woo Audio stuff before know how good it looks and sounds.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by MiTT; 10-13-2012 at 06:03 AM.
    MiTT
    Tim Bingaman

Default Sanders Audio

I'm sitting in the Sanders Audio room and I have to admit that these Model 10C speakers ($13,000 including Magtec amp and digital crossover) sound amazing. Dynamics are off the hook. No changes in appearance, and they are kind of plain to look at, but the sound is making me stay in the room for a good long time.
    Last edited by MiTT; 10-13-2012 at 06:05 AM.
    MiTT
    Tim Bingaman

Quote Originally Posted by MiTT View Post
    Since I'm still waiting to go get my attendee badge I just popped into the Can Jam area where all of the headphone gear is. First stop is Woo Audio where I just listened to their new WA7 integrated USB DAC and Headphone amp. Great industrial design and sound for only $777.00. Also on display were their new WTP-1 top loading CD Transport and WDS-1 DAC, both listed at $1199.00. Those of you who have seen the Woo Audio stuff before know how good it looks and sounds.
    Awesome stuff! Woo Audio was one my picks for best sound at RMAF a couple of years ago. Their tube pre and headphone amp, coupled with Stax electrostatic headphones, produced sound to die for.
    Rich

This comment is intended solely for educational purposes and should not be construed as conveying any express or implied warranty of fitness for any other purpose. Said comment constitutes merely the humble opinion of its maker and does not reflect the views of the MLOC or of ML, Ltd. YMMV. Trust your own ears.

Quote Originally Posted by MiTT View Post
    I'm sitting in the Sanders Audio room and I have to admit that these Model 10C speakers ($13,000 including Magtec amp and digital crossover) sound amazing. Dynamics are off the hook. No changes in appearance, and they are kind of plain to look at, but the sound is making me stay in the room for a good long time.
    Yep! Sanders' speakers sound heavenly in the sweet spot, small that it may be. One of the best electrostats available today, in my opinion. Glad you are having fun.
    Rich

This comment is intended solely for educational purposes and should not be construed as conveying any express or implied warranty of fitness for any other purpose. Said comment constitutes merely the humble opinion of its maker and does not reflect the views of the MLOC or of ML, Ltd. YMMV. Trust your own ears.

Default Joseph Audio

I'm looking for the Joseph Audio Pulsars, so was at first disappointed to see jthat they didn't have them in the Joseph Audio room. That went away pretty quickly though once I started listening to the new Pearl III, their top of the line speaker at $28,500.00. They were playing the Rutter "Requiem" from Reference Records when I was in the room and they sounded fantastic. I'm still on a quest to find the Pulsars and Jeff Joseph told me that they are on display in about three other rooms here at the show.
    Last edited by MiTT; 10-13-2012 at 06:08 AM.
    MiTT
    Tim Bingaman

Default Neat Acoustics and Zanden

Very good sounding Keb Mo playing from the Neat XL6 speakers fed by all Zanden electronics featuring their new KT-120 based integrated amp (I think I heard it was $22,000.00). The Zanden stuff is just gorgeous to look at, but you pay for it.
    Last edited by MiTT; 10-13-2012 at 06:11 AM.
    MiTT
    Tim Bingaman

Default Estelon

The Estelon XB speakers were capable of surprisingly deep bass given their relatively diminutive size. The highly sculpted cabinets were painted in a beautiful metalic blue that I'm afraid the pictures won't do justice.
    Last edited by MiTT; 10-13-2012 at 06:12 AM.
    MiTT
    Tim Bingaman

Default Hsu

Primarily known for their subwoofers, I was pleasantly surprised in the HSU room listening to their $149 HB-1 mk II stand mount speakers and the huge VTF-15F subwoofer ($699.00). Startlingly good sound for an absolutely bargain basement price.
    Last edited by MiTT; 10-13-2012 at 06:14 AM.
    MiTT
    Tim Bingaman

Default Carver

This room featured the new Carver Amazing Line Source speakers paired with all AMR electronics and the Carver Black Beauty 305 mono blocks. The speakers sell for $19,700 including an EQ box. The amps are $12,900/ pair.
    Last edited by MiTT; 10-14-2012 at 05:32 AM.
    MiTT
    Tim Bingaman

Default Emotive Pro

I wasn't aware that emotive had a pro line, but the Stealth 8 speakers ($1200.00) and DC-1 DAC ($699.00) sounded better than any previous Emotiva gear I've listened to. The speakers are powered by integral 400 W amps. Plug in a laptop and you're good to go
    Last edited by MiTT; 10-13-2012 at 06:19 AM.
    MiTT
    Tim Bingaman

Default Evolution Acoustics

This room featured the Plyback Designs MPS-3 CD player ($8500.00) and a B.M.C. APM CS 2 integrated amp, but the hot story here is the buzz of the audio world Evolution Acoustics MM MicroOne Reference 2 way speakers at an astonishing $2500.00 a pair (including stands). These speakers sounded equally good with Led Zepplin and Shelby Lynne and the fit and finish is amazing for the price.
    Last edited by MiTT; 10-14-2012 at 05:33 AM.
    MiTT
    Tim Bingaman

Super User

Default maggie

Tim is magnepan there? Any 20.7 around?

Default Aperion Audio

I continue to be amazed at how much good sounding inexpensive gear is at the show this year. Listening to Jacintha on the small Aperion versus Grand Bookshelf speakers I was absolutely blown away when I was told they cost only $600 a pair. The larger Versus Towers were equally impressive. At $1400.00 a pair.
    Last edited by MiTT; 10-13-2012 at 06:24 AM.
    MiTT
    Tim Bingaman

Default Lynx Audio

Well I finally found the Joseph Audio Pulsar speakers in an unlikely room. Lynx Audio makes a product called the Hilo that is essentially an analog to digital converter that takes the signal from any phono stage and converts it into a digital file via an interface with the Channel D Pure Vinyl software allowing you to listen to any of your vinyl on a digital device. Since Channel D only runs on OSX all of the Microsoft folks are out of luck, but I 'm running on both platforms so I'm pretty intrigued. It also includes a "reference level" headphone amp. Cost is $2495.00.
    Last edited by MiTT; 10-13-2012 at 06:26 AM.
    MiTT
    Tim Bingaman