Apogee Comparison

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrianBeck

Reaction score
My first post on this forum, and I may get banished to ML hell for it, but here goes:

I have been casually looking about for speakers recently. I have had Quad ESL-63 for decades and have enjoyed them very much, but wanted something better in the (you guessed it) bass and dynamics department.

While on a trip to my hometown, Indianapolis, I spent a pleasant afternoon at Audio Solutions, a ML dealer. The CLX ART speakers were featured in their high-end room, driven by huge Classe monoblocks (M300, M600? - didn't write it down). A Berkeley DAC played digital files from a music server. A stack of subwoofers played behind and outside of the CLXs, but again I didn't think to document them. I sat down and spent some quality time listening to music selections that I know well.

The sound? In a word: Great! Detailed, civilized, good imaging, tight, focused, relatively uncolored.

But...slightly etched in the upper ranges. Not grainy or zippy, just that details were outlined. This magnified apparent detail. I have heard this before in lesser MLs. This effect is certainly not unpleasant. Truly great hi-fi, but, alas, this is not the way live acoustic music really sounds to my ears. It is akin to processing a high-resolution digital photo from a professional camera with a great lens in Photoshop, giving it slight edge enhancement. The result is snappy, but the slightly gentler original is closer to what's real. There were two other fellows at the audio shop that day. We traded times in the sweet spot. They thought the sound we were listening to was the best. I didn't argue. It was close to the best. Cables, amps, synergy? Could the CLXs have performed even better with other equipment? Heck, I dunno.

While on another trip a few days later, this time to San Diego, I stumbled into an opportunity to pick up a rare pair of Apogee Divas in as mint condition as they come. After settling on a very decent price, I bought them, figuring they'd be fun to play with and to see if my memory of how great Apogees could sound from decades ago would be validated today. This pair is later vintage, set up with the DAX electronic crossover. I figured if I didn't like them, I could flip them and move on. But - I ain't movin' anywhere.

How do they sound? Well, beyond anything I have heard in most ways, and I'm still experimenting with amps, cables and placement. I won't repeat all the Apogee Diva reviews that you can read on-line, but suffice it to say that I hear naturally vivid tone colors with smoothness unlike anything I've heard before.

Now to compare these Divas with the CLXs I'd heard a couple of weeks earlier: The Apogees use a true ribbon tweeter above 12kHz, about 6' tall and only 0.2" wide. It generates overtones that are about as pure and sweet as the real thing. No etch, no zip or texture, except what's supposed to be there (with great recordings, of course). Hi-Fi guys might say that the highs are subdued. I say not. When you remove all the little peaks, distortions and other nonsense that plagues most tweeters, you're left with the gentle air of the real thing. That is the first, and to me the most obvious, difference between the Divas and the CLXs, while noting that the highs of the MLs are really very good overall. Secondly, the soundstage of the CLXs is tightly focused between the speakers with pretty good depth, but I didn't hear much of an expansive sound stage. It's the old "window effect" that my Quads also have. The Divas billow forth music in a holographic way. It's really spectacular, but it not as tightly focused in the middle (yet, in my home) as what I heard with the CLXs. Someone once described the Divas as presenting music "here" while the other contenders presented music "there". Which is more "absolute" is surely open for debate. The lows, mids and highs of the CLX were all there (with subwoofer assist), but not as seamless as with the Divas. The Divas don't lend one to think in terms of "lows, mids and highs", any more than one would think of these ranges when listening to a live acoustic instrument. Nothing calls attention to itself in the Diva's spectrum. Yet well-recorded instruments do call attention to themselves in a most realistic, even breathtaking, way. I look forward to settling in on the right amps and other components to give the Divas all they need.

I say all this to reinforce the advice given earlier in this thread by a couple of folks to consider Magnepans, Soundlabs or Apogees before jumping into a pair of $25K CLXs. For this kind of money, one could buy a new pair of big Apogees from one of the Graz refurbishment companies or you could take the effort to find a used pair and do a refurbishment with the same people.

YMMV...

Brian

Welcome to the forum, Brian.

There is no way you will get banished to ML hell for your comments; we are very open-minded here.

It was very interesting reading your analysis. You are in good company as a much-respected character here called Justin left the fold a while ago and bought a pair of Apogee Duettas Signatures, which he prefers to the CLX. You may be interested to read his detailed thread on how he went about getting them refurbished by Graz, including getting Graz to paint them the same colour as his car! His ID here is User211. You can read his thread here:

http://www.martinloganowners.com/fo...gee-Duetta-Signature-Rebuild&highlight=Apogee

EDIIT: I just realized that the refurbishing was not done by Graz, but by someone trained by Graz.

Last edited:
I have spent a fair amount of time (and money) in Audio Solutions. Nice guys and a lot of nice equipment moves through there.

Thanks for the welcome Bernard and Hocky. The more I read in this forum, the more I realize that you guys are indeed quite open-minded to speakers other than ML. I have also seen User211 in the Apogee site, where the users are generally NOT quite so open-minded to other speakers ;)

My first post on this forum, and I may get banished to ML hell for it, but here goes:

I have been casually looking about for speakers recently. I have had Quad ESL-63 for decades and have enjoyed them very much, but wanted something better in the (you guessed it) bass and dynamics department.

While on a trip to my hometown, Indianapolis, I spent a pleasant afternoon at Audio Solutions, a ML dealer. The CLX ART speakers were featured in their high-end room, driven by huge Classe monoblocks (M300, M600? - didn't write it down). A Berkeley DAC played digital files from a music server. A stack of subwoofers played behind and outside of the CLXs, but again I didn't think to document them. I sat down and spent some quality time listening to music selections that I know well.

The sound? In a word: Great! Detailed, civilized, good imaging, tight, focused, relatively uncolored.

But...slightly etched in the upper ranges. Not grainy or zippy, just that details were outlined. This magnified apparent detail. I have heard this before in lesser MLs. This effect is certainly not unpleasant. Truly great hi-fi, but, alas, this is not the way live acoustic music really sounds to my ears. It is akin to processing a high-resolution digital photo from a professional camera with a great lens in Photoshop, giving it slight edge enhancement. The result is snappy, but the slightly gentler original is closer to what's real. There were two other fellows at the audio shop that day. We traded times in the sweet spot. They thought the sound we were listening to was the best. I didn't argue. It was close to the best. Cables, amps, synergy? Could the CLXs have performed even better with other equipment? Heck, I dunno.

While on another trip a few days later, this time to San Diego, I stumbled into an opportunity to pick up a rare pair of Apogee Divas in as mint condition as they come. After settling on a very decent price, I bought them, figuring they'd be fun to play with and to see if my memory of how great Apogees could sound from decades ago would be validated today. This pair is later vintage, set up with the DAX electronic crossover. I figured if I didn't like them, I could flip them and move on. But - I ain't movin' anywhere.

How do they sound? Well, beyond anything I have heard in most ways, and I'm still experimenting with amps, cables and placement. I won't repeat all the Apogee Diva reviews that you can read on-line, but suffice it to say that I hear naturally vivid tone colors with smoothness unlike anything I've heard before.

Now to compare these Divas with the CLXs I'd heard a couple of weeks earlier: The Apogees use a true ribbon tweeter above 12kHz, about 6' tall and only 0.2" wide. It generates overtones that are about as pure and sweet as the real thing. No etch, no zip or texture, except what's supposed to be there (with great recordings, of course). Hi-Fi guys might say that the highs are subdued. I say not. When you remove all the little peaks, distortions and other nonsense that plagues most tweeters, you're left with the gentle air of the real thing. That is the first, and to me the most obvious, difference between the Divas and the CLXs, while noting that the highs of the MLs are really very good overall. Secondly, the soundstage of the CLXs is tightly focused between the speakers with pretty good depth, but I didn't hear much of an expansive sound stage. It's the old "window effect" that my Quads also have. The Divas billow forth music in a holographic way. It's really spectacular, but it not as tightly focused in the middle (yet, in my home) as what I heard with the CLXs. Someone once described the Divas as presenting music "here" while the other contenders presented music "there". Which is more "absolute" is surely open for debate. The lows, mids and highs of the CLX were all there (with subwoofer assist), but not as seamless as with the Divas. The Divas don't lend one to think in terms of "lows, mids and highs", any more than one would think of these ranges when listening to a live acoustic instrument. Nothing calls attention to itself in the Diva's spectrum. Yet well-recorded instruments do call attention to themselves in a most realistic, even breathtaking, way. I look forward to settling in on the right amps and other components to give the Divas all they need.

I say all this to reinforce the advice given earlier in this thread by a couple of folks to consider Magnepans, Soundlabs or Apogees before jumping into a pair of $25K CLXs. For this kind of money, one could buy a new pair of big Apogees from one of the Graz refurbishment companies or you could take the effort to find a used pair and do a refurbishment with the same people.

YMMV...

Brian

That's a great story, I actually went the other way (from ribbon speakers (I had Analysis Omegas for 6 years) to electrostatic). I validate allot of the points you made about the Apogees. Personally I like the speed and the air of an electrostatic so I ultimately felt that was the determining factor for me. Over the years I have had Quad 63s, 988s, 989s plus ML SL3's and Quests.

Last edited:
Brian,

No home turf stuff here.

I have MBL's. Steve (Slowgeezer) has WP8's. As you said, Justin has App's.

We all share one common goal and that is enjoying the music and helping each other to do the same.

Welcome.

GG

Hey all,
i moved this thread to it's own thread... Would love to hear more people talk about how Apogee compares to MLs.

Those highs again...

A bit off my own topic, but I want to ramble a bit more about the reproduction of highs. To my ears, with most speakers, this is an area of significant departure from reality.

A story: I also own old Fulton J Modulars, big beasts with Fulton-modified RTR ESR-6 electrostatic tweeters working above 7kHz. These have been the best reproducers of the highest highs that I’ve heard in all my decades of audiophilia. Sweet, airy, effortless, atmospheric, but not calling attention to themselves in any way. No spit, zing, sizzle, grit or dryness.

Recently, a buddy and I recorded two large acoustic bands using B&K 4135 100 kHz instrumentation mikes feeding a souped-up Ampex ATR-102 (maybe good to 35kHz). We played back the master tapes on his J Modulars and were rather shocked at how close the reproduction was to the real thing, especially on top. The top octaves were stunningly close to what I'd heard live a few hours earlier.

A few days later, an audio acquaintance of his came to his place to hear the master tapes on the Js. His comment? “Where are the highs?” I think this illustrates a common perspective. When I hear live ensembles, I don’t generally think of highs or treble. In fact, when you hear a live string performance, you might at first think “where are the highs?” Sure, cymbals and percussive instruments might make you notice the highest frequencies, but many instruments sound softer live than reproduced. I think most speakers, high-end or mundane, get the treble wrong. High-end speakers tend to err on the side of giving you some added zip or texture to the highs, to let you know that you’re getting all the goods that you paid dearly for. If that floats your boat, then please enjoy it. Even my beloved Quads, which roll off in the top octave, add a tiny touch of “zzzzz” around 10kHz and maybe just below. This is hardly noticeable until you are reminded by hearing the live sounds of acoustic instruments. The Divas seem to get this part of the spectrum pretty close to right (as well as many other parts – although they don’t lend themselves to thinking in terms of parts of the sound.) Whether the Divas or the Fultons win in the upper octave or two remains to be seen as I tweak the system around the new Divas.

While some added texture on top seems to be a family trait among all the ML models that I’ve heard, included the big CLX, MLs should not be singled out for blame for having this common departure from reality.

Of course, the same high-frequency reproduction question applies to amplifiers and nearly every other component. You might have guessed, I’m a tube guy :D

Fulton J's

i used to own a pair of the Fulton J's and have been sorry ever since i sold them, this is the spekaer J. Gordon Holt felt the J's were the most natural sounding speaker he has ever heard. I was driving them with and Audio research D150 amp with there Sp3a Preamp. It was a sound made in heaven. thanks for bringing the J's back up it brought back allot of memmories how music should sound. I would love to come down to your place just to hear them again. thank you

Hi Brian - great posts - really enjoyed reading them. EDIT: just realised who you are from your Apogee forum posts!:)

With regards to highs - the reproduction is certainly different to MLs - and a new aquaintance who came round recently remarked "its what they do with cymbals...". He owns a very accomplished Audio Note system to which we connected my 211 based amps yesterday - but that is another story and a bit off-toic here.

They do get closeish to the original sound of most instruments. I think the term "Reality Audio" used by the UK refurbisher is very appropriate. They are alarmingly accurate transducers and they get closer to the "you are there" experience than many, many others.

Sometimes I feel there is only one way to teach them a lesson - to give them a good spanking so to speak. To put them back in their place as mere reproducers of pre-recorded music. How is this done? Plug the Les Paul into the geetar amp and let rip...:devil::rocker:

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum, Brian.

There is no way you will get banished to ML hell for your comments; we are very open-minded here.

It was very interesting reading your analysis. You are in good company as a much-respected character here called Justin left the fold a while ago and bought a pair of Apogee Duettas Signatures, which he prefers to the CLX. You may be interested to read his detailed thread on how he went about getting them refurbished by Graz, including getting Graz to paint them the same colour as his car! His ID here is User211. You can read his thread here:

http://www.martinloganowners.com/fo...gee-Duetta-Signature-Rebuild&highlight=Apogee

EDIIT: I just realized that the refurbishing was not done by Graz, but by someone trained by Graz.

That thread will probably come alive again when my new Duettas arrive in an estimated 6 weeks or so, Bermard. They are pretty much the best that the restorer can do to an original pair without recourse to extremely high grade new magnets. You will learn more soon...(wink) - but the spec is well beyond the original by some fair margin.

Very high efficiency Apogees are the reserve of Graz's highly priced totally new speakers, built from the ground up. Very, very few peole have actually heard a pair of these, including myself. One day, maybe...:) That is half the trouble - it is so difficult to actually hear a pair of tip top Apogees these days. In a sense I feel like a "caretaker" of what once was (albeit with a little contemporary care) - and I do have quite a few people round to let them experience them.

No speaker is everyone's bag but the Apogee designs are still worthy contenders for those able to assess a pair - or those prepared to take a risk.

Last edited:
There have been a handful of speakers over the decades that stick in my mind for having given me a glimpse of musical reality. I agree with Gordon; the big MBLs are on that list. The Js of course. The Quads, both types. The big Sound Labs, though dark flavored, had a certain magic. And then there was that revelatory evening spent in the late 80s in a West Palm Beach audio salon getting introduced to Apogee Duettas (IIs, Signatures?). I was captivated. Never heard anything like that before. There was a slight "silvery" coloration to the highs, but I now suspect that was due to the supporting gear, Krell amps and whatever else. Notably NOT on my list are the various Wilson models which always sound like "hi-fi" to my ears and the Magicos, which sound bland and blah to me. I've wanted to love Magneplanars, but somehow never connected with them musically. In fact last year I spent time in a New Orleans shop listening to all the Maggie's on top flight Audio Research kit. The top 20.X model was OK, but it amazes me how very different the Maggies and Apogees sound despite sharing similar technical approaches. In the Magnaplanar forums the Maggies are relentlessly thrashed by the Apogee guys. While I don't view audio as a competitive sport, I must say that I agree. The Maggie's can sound quite decent, while the Apogees can take your breath away. Magic pixie dust from Jason Bloom, I guess. I haven't logged as much quality time with the huge number of ML models. I did listen in depth to original CLSs but the famous glare was too much for me. The CLXs are much more refined and listenable, of course, and I would like to spend more quality time hearing them.

Brian - you're a tube guy, so you've gotta hear the CLX with some upmarket tube amps.... I bet you like them more that way.

What they will never be able to do is manage the extension, speed and weight of the Apogee bass panel in one speaker. Subs are regarded as mandatory by many.

If you can try and hear the Prodigy. That looks to me to be a great all in one design.

... you've gotta hear the CLX with some upmarket tube amps.... I bet you like them more that way.
If you can try and hear the Prodigy.

I certainly would look forward to that opportunity some day. For now I'm going to wrestle these touchy Divas into submission! I now have two Audio Research D-250 amps so I can bi-amplify with 4 x 250 watts of these space heaters. I'm modifying the DAX crossover with new opamps and supply improvements. My reverberant room needs some help too. Too little time!

Hi guys,

How do the Audio Analysis speakers compare to the App's?

I've heard the former but not the latter.

GG

I ran CLS for over a decade and loved them. I now have Prodigys that give me the panel magic with the bottom end missing from the CLS. I have a pair of Appogee Duetta with the Siganture crossovers, but alas, they are sitting in my shed. One of the bass panels is shot. Poor things have been out there for 10 years. It has been so long since I listened to them, my memory can't really do any kind of comparison. I do remember they were the most difficult load I ever saw from a speaker. More so than my CLS.

I do have a few other speakers too: Klipsch Jubilee, JBL C50 Olympus, and Mark & Daniel Maximus. Add to this DIY: large JBL/Altec horns and full range Fostex in a dual horn cabinet.

I certainly would look forward to that opportunity some day. For now I'm going to wrestle these touchy Divas into submission! I now have two Audio Research D-250 amps so I can bi-amplify with 4 x 250 watts of these space heaters. I'm modifying the DAX crossover with new opamps and supply improvements. My reverberant room needs some help too. Too little time!
While you're looking at new opamps, take a look at Burson opamps (sold by partsconnexion), which are built using discrete components. PC claims that it's a big upgrade.

Bernard, I appreciate your tip.

While I have been aware of Burson modules for some time, I have not tried them yet. I have already purchased several hundred dollars worth of OPA627 opamps, which I like very much despite their high (~$18) price tag. I use 2mA current-source "diodes" in the output stage to bias them to class A. I also have a large number of the "zippier-sounding" LME49710 (LM4562) opamps, but I will start with the known-good OPA627s. There are 40 opamp stages in the DAX (!). To use Burson opamps would cost me over $3000, they probably wouldn't physically fit inside, and a new power supply would have to be made to handle twice the current demand.

Eventually, when I get some time (hah!) I will do a vacuum tube DAX precisely duplicating the response of the original stages.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

GG

Biggest difference is the bass panel implementation, Gordon. Also, the Omegas frequency response appears to be blatantly tailored non-flat - as a Hi-Fi News review showed.

I prefer the Duettas, but I am biased:)

Hi guys,

GG

I would say the Apps have more dynamic, deep and transient bass but the Audio Analysis has a more refined treble. If I was ever to go back to panels I think I would go for a pair of rebuilt Divas considering they have a dedicated midrange ribbon aswell.

Last edited:
Back