Newbie, with a question

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,

I am new to the forum and have a question for any of you... I am trying a pair of the ML EM-ESL's in my upstairs system. It's a small room and I'm really happy with the sound from the panel portion. However I am having some problems getting the bass squared away. It still is sounding a little "wooly". I am going to add spikes but I was wondering if any of you have any experience with this model and if there are any similar problems and how you solved them.

Thanks,

Opie-Von

First off welcome to the club!

How big is your room? Carpet or hard flooring? If they are brand new it may take a few hours (50-100) to break in the woofers.

Maybe post a pic and get additional suggestions...

Churchill,

Thanks, the room is small (hence me trying the EM-ESL in there), it's a modest system. But back to your question. The room is 12x20 with 8' ceilings. The speakers are one of the long walls (they have to be). Medium pile carpeting in the room. One short wall is all windows btw. The speakers are broken in, I played them for 100 hours before carting them up to that room. I will post a pic of the room this evening though, that's a good idea. I know I'll get this sorted out, but so far I have not made any progress with getting the bottom end tightened up and though I would throw myself upon the mercy of fellow ML owners. Thanks again, Opie

Hi there, Opie

I'm new here myself, but I know what you mean when they sound "wooly".
I tried my Electromotions with a Harman HK990 when I first listened To them,
and that was not a good match. Even tried with and without carpet underneath and
decided To go "carpetless". Maybe that is not an option for you, but that's what I did.
Have you tried the speakers with different amps?

Flyboy

Flyboy,

Thanks for writing. I have not tried a different amp yet. Right now I have an Arcam AVR400 in that system. But I was planning on trying the Krell 300i integrated there once I get the bass sorted out. I know the spikes will help tighten up the bottom end as well. "Carpetless" is not an option for me in that room, sadly. Though the room is set up for Multi-channel most of the time we just listen to LP's on that system.

I found my ML speakers to be more responsive to the signal given than any other loudspeakers I have owned. When I started out I had an Onkyo AVR hooked up to ML Source speakers and was not in love or feeling the dynamics. I went ahead and ordered a tube integrated amp that hit them with 52 watts per channel and the panels really started pumping out the bass and gave me a very full sound that had great weight to the mid range. I could feel the floor vibration at lower volume levels than I could with the Onkyo

Projectormovielover,

I also have a PrimaLuna Prologue 2 integrated and do plan on trying that with the EM-ESL's, but not until after a try the Krell integrated. (I have too many amplifiers sitting sround the house).
Opie.

Hello Opie.I tightened up the bass on my Vistas, and also reduced the bass travelling down to the appartment below me by setting the Vistas on
12"wide x 18"long x 3"thick granite surface plates (used in machine shops to verify tooling straightness). They cost me about $85.00 each from a machine tool warehouse. Before buying them, I tried just setting my speakers on concrete patio pavers to make sure there would be an improvement. Give it a try. Not much ventured, and I think you'll be surprised by the result.

Julian

Back