New Center from ML: StageX

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonFo

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
ML announced their new center channel at CEDIA 2012, the StageX updates the Stage with a new folded motion tweeter replacing the previous dome tweeter for better tweeter to panel integration.

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/photogallery/gallery-new-speakers-cedia-expo-2012?image=2

02-martinlogan%20stage%20x.jpg

why ??..............is your Stage broke already ?? seriously, there's nothing wrong with your Stage !!

Not broken indeed but the tonality is different from my main Spires. It seems they claim the StageX is a much better match to Xstats than the tweeter in the Stage.

Not broken indeed but the tonality is different from my main Spires. It seems they claim the StageX is a much better match to Xstats than the tweeter in the Stage.

I would not expect a major 'match' to spires/summits just because of the new tweeter. Improved, sure, match, no way. When the L/R panels have radiating surfaces measured in square feet, a center whose ESL surfaces are a fraction of those sizes can never really deliver the same tonality, and much less the impact and power handling of the larger speakers.

Why not give us a real center channel thats going to at least keep p with the towers? I was hoping they would realize its the most important speaker for HT but obviously not huh. I wonder if there is a way we can upgrade our existing stage to be fitted with the new folded motion tweeter?

I'm with JonFo. The new tweeter may be a bit better match, but I don't think the tweeter is the main cause of the missmatch. Different radiation pattern, way smaller panel, all add up to missmatch. I complete redesign might get me to ditch my stage, but just swapping tweeters isn't a good reason to change.

Chuck

I would not expect a major 'match' to spires/summits just because of the new tweeter. Improved, sure, match, no way. When the L/R panels have radiating surfaces measured in square feet, a center whose ESL surfaces are a fraction of those sizes can never really deliver the same tonality, and much less the impact and power handling of the larger speakers.

I agree with this observation. There are some work arounds such as adding to more Stages in something resembling the Magnepan Tri-Center to increase the radiating area of the ESL. Another solution would be manipulate the center image with the surround processor which I can do with my Casablanca III HD, assigning more or less signal to the Stage compared with the CLX's. I would have hoped that ML would have produced a larger single unit with more radiating surface but I doubt that most home theater enthusiasts would be interested in such a product.

I would have hoped that ML would have produced a larger single unit with more radiating surface but I doubt that most home theater enthusiasts would be interested in such a product.

Why not? If the overall package is still manageable as a under/over screen unit, I would be very interested.

Doesn't the folded motion tweeter have a narrower dispersion pattern than a tweeter ? Nice score on that theta babydoc

The ML centers are all 3 way speakers and that make the difference. I had a Cinema and change the filter in a 2 way filter and the cinema match much better with mine Vista and later the Summits . Now I have a Logos with a Summit panel (2 way filtering ) .

i think ML could make an awesome center if they used a saddle-curve for the panel so that horizontal dispersion would be improved. Have no idea if it's even possible, though...

I never understood why ML stopped making the incredible and lage Theater i center channel! It is a perfect match to my SL3's in the front and in my personal opinion is the best center that ML ever made. In my eyes you can never go wrong with the largest panel you can get your hands on especially when it comes to the center. I think all of the smaller panels in the newer models is sadly due to the WAF and not for increased sound quality. Martin Logan's are supposed to be BIG, bad ass speakers, and not shrinking with every model year until they eventually hit Bose size ! (except for the CLX though!):rocker:

Let's hope that ML release a new center speaker to complement the CLX, in sound and in style !
Full electrostatic panel, large surfaces, etc.

I would immediately upgrade from my Theatre, which is already a great center channel.

I and others have suggested that the most likely alternative for 'big' centers is for ML to actually support stacking of an existing model like the Stage-X.

This would allow for economies of scale in manufacturing, while giving owners an option for a more capable center.

It would be nice if ML discounted the combo price of a 3 unit center stack and provide an impedance match block to enable a single amp to drive all three units.

With the more controlled dispersion characteristics of the folded-motion tweeter, and maybe even augmented by some clip-on wave-guides, a three unit stack of Stage-X's might be a good compromise in cost, size and performance vs an uber-costly one-off large center.

Of course, the best match for a CLX is yet another CLX as the center, and then place all three behind a big acoustically transparent screen.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back