Montis In Comparison With Summit X Advice

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harlequin

Reaction score
Good Day Martin Logan People ~ Harlequin calling :D

I have been mulling upon a move to ML's for a while now and I would be most grateful for any sage advice from members who have had experience of directly comparing the Summit X with the later model Montis .

I am reasonably informed of the physical differences between the two however I am seeking user impressions on how the two models compare audibly , especially with the same source equipment and media in use ?

I would also be grateful for any thoughts in respect of the practical , as I also would also be deciding between New panels with respective 5 year warranty against a Used pair with perhaps 3/4 years on the clock with the Summit X :think:

My thanks to any respondents in advance .

I haven't heard the Montis, but I'd guess they're pretty similar beyond the SummitX having a far more substantial bass section. I don't know what street price of the montis is, but I brought home a showroom demo pair of Summit X with full warranty for substantially under the Montis MSRP. Just something to think about.

Montis is very fine but best crossed over at 40 -70 hz to a good sub depending on the room. In that scenario they are superb.

In a 5 channel setup they really shine.

If you have a mid size room and no subs The Sx would be a good choice.

Panels are the same. It is the lower end that is different; xover and then the woofer section.

I got a good discount on my M but recent reviews may have raised street price.

J

Last edited:
The panels may be the same, but the Summit has a lower crossover point and a much more pronounced low end. Both should have a big effect on the sound. Best to demo both speakers if you can.

Thank you for your in-put gentlemen , Perhaps I shouldn't be so concerned about New vs 3/4 year old panels , Hmmmm .

Thank you for your in-put gentlemen , Perhaps I shouldn't be so concerned about New vs 3/4 year old panels , Hmmmm .

I would agree . . . as long as the Summits are reasonably priced. For a pair that is three to four years old, I would expect to pay half retail, or somewhere in the range of $7,000 to $8,000. If they are asking for much more than that, I would seriously consider the Montis.

I would agree . . . as long as the Summits are reasonably priced. For a pair that is three to four years old, I would expect to pay half retail, or somewhere in the range of $7,000 to $8,000. If they are asking for much more than that, I would seriously consider the Montis.

I wouldn't pay that much for used, no warranty summit x (although that is what they bring). I paid about $8800 for mine from the dealer. Search around, I bet that you will find a deal like that if you try hard enough.

Sound advice Rich , Unfortunately over this side of 'The Big Water' currently for the One careful Lady owner, Non smoker , Summit X , merely replace the $ with £ !!!

Last edited:
Sound advice Rich , Unfortunately over this side of 'The Big Water' currently for the One careful Lady owner, Non smoker , Summit X , merely replace the $ with £ !!!

OUCH! Didn't notice you were from London. Maybe you need to hook up with Justin and hear his refurbed Apogees. Could change your mind altogether about what to get. Or perhaps consider Quads, which don't have quite the markup over there that MLs do. I feel your pain!

I am in London too so feel free to PM me.
Marc.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

OUCH! Didn't notice you were from London. Maybe you need to hook up with Justin and hear his refurbed Apogees. Could change your mind altogether about what to get. Or perhaps consider Quads, which don't have quite the markup over there that MLs do. I feel your pain!

Probably a good 2 and a half hours drive... worth it though:D

Actually I recently had an ML owner over to buy my Descent - he also owns my old Ascents and some Requests. Ever since hearing my Aps he has been scheming - to build his own! He spent £4K on neodymium magnets recently. He really is serious about it.

His comment, post getting "blasted", was "I really don't think I like my loudspeakers anymore". Food for thought, anyway. But even Aps aren't perfect:D

TBH though it probably is best NOT to come round - they don't come quick and the restorer is knocking me up a very special pair. I don't want him being distracted!!!

I am in London too so feel free to PM me.
Marc.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Thank you Marc , most kind . I shall scribble out a PM later this afternoon when I return from a hospital appointment .

Spire?

Montis for ?.. May be hard to bargain now with those reviews.

J

I have the Spires now for about a year and went to The Show Newport last June and auditioned the Montis. I couldn't tell it part from my Spire since the panel is exactly the same. I aksed the ML personel as to what i was missing and they told me "Not much" ... and that's a direct quote from them. Though the Montis has an EQ'd woofer, i couldn't tell the bass from my Spires non-EQ'd woofer from various music samples they played... Long story short, IMO get the Spire for half price of the Montis, its replacement.

-David

TBH though it probably is best NOT to come round - they don't come quick and the restorer is knocking me up a very special pair. I don't want him being distracted!!!
The restorer is knocking you up? :) That is unimaginable on so many fronts. :ROFL:

Montis = Spire?

Love to think that's true. Sound achievable with Spires certainly has made me unmotivated to seek further changes!!! Despite wondering re Montis a while back ...

Planning on Kef LS50 for garden room project!!!! They're brill!

Well Folks , after much consideration I have decided upon neither model .

However , following several days successfully harvesting doner organs from Hitch Hikers for cash , I took the plunge at the Deep end and have acquired a pair of CLX's whilst also questing around for an Descent i .

My thanks to all respondents to my OP quandary .

R.

Last edited:
Nice! Please let us know your experiences with CLX.

Back