$ is No Object Your Ultimate Amplifier for ML's...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I auditioned these at Shawns place DaVinci media with the CLX although they are by far not the most expensive I really liked the way they sounded and looked. I think 300watts per channel of mac tube power is all I would ever need. I beleive retail is $22,000.00 a pair

BTW they look way cooler in person just trust me on this one

Attachments

• mcintosh_mc2301.jpg
    mcintosh_mc2301.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 515
Last edited:
I forgot about this thread!! Here's my choice - a pair of ARC REF610Ts.

Attachments

• ARC_REF610T_top.jpg
    ARC_REF610T_top.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 502
I've got it! The Burmester 911mk. 3 345 watts/channel and can be bridged to twice that, but I can't play it loud enough to clip, so don't know that I need the second amp....

I'd seriously consider those ARC's if I didn't listen so much, too many tubes! Awesome amps though...

Attachments

• 911mk 3.jpg
    911mk 3.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 505
irect heated triodes

Direct heated triodes

Attachments

• HE-833MK2.jpg
    HE-833MK2.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 513
I am with Gregadd

Wavac 150 watt SET monoblocks must be something special.

I LOVE my cj's, but a friend has quicksilver 300b set monoblocks that sound superior to my ears. At 9 or 10 watts a channel though they are out of the question for stats.

The Wavacs though at 150 SET watts a channel should make stats sing like nothing else. I would LOVE to have a chance to throw them in my system for a listen.

very happy with the cj's but would love to listen to high power SET.

I'd seriously consider those ARC's if I didn't listen so much, too many tubes! Awesome amps though...

Well, the title is "Cost no object", so don't think about all the valves. What would you prefer........Burmester or ARC - come on Jeff!

This will warm you up

:bowdown::bowdown:
Well, the title is "Cost no object", so don't think about all the valves. What would you prefer........Burmester or ARC - come on Jeff!

best sound would be ML statements times 5,or 7.
amps easy ref600mkIII,new ones tubes exposed no good for HT,TIMES 5 OR 7
note need spare amps,i have 2,and they do break,so 2 times ref 300mkII,OR REF 210 MONOS.

Honestly, I like the Burmester stuff better, that's why I made the choice...

The 911 is pretty close in price to the 610. I had investigated their big 908 amp, but they told me that sonically they are identical, just more power. And with the bridging option, should I ever get a speaker that needs even more power, I can just get a second 911.

Honestly, my favorite high power tube amps are the CJ 275's (big bucks) and the Manley 250's.

I have a pair of Ref 210T's on the way one of these days and after hearing them at Shunyata last month, was very impressed.

But I don't anticipate leaving the Burmester camp for my own reference. I'm pretty hooked on the sound.

PS: I would really dig those 610T's if good tubes were plentiful as they were in the 70's and 80's.

I honestly don't know. But money no object allows a lot of possibilities. I'd probably do the following:

1) Get some insane single ended monoblocks made by hand to a spec agreed with the builder. Lots of wood and copper, custom wound transformers, exotic NOS tube types with loads of replacements and different tube types to try - including NOS Telefunken RS237s (211 equiv - rare as hen's teeth), 300B driver tubes, and probably a lot of AudioNote parts and ideas.

2) The same as one, but using the awesome Western Electric 212.

3) Talk to Chapter Audio, offer them unlimited dosh to build the best effort they could muster.

4) Get the established high end solid state contenders to submit designs - the best they can manage with costings and exotic finishes. Get them all built and submitted.

Then I'd just evaluate all of them - and give the ones I didn't like away to those MLOC members I felt I'd like to give them too!:D

Dream on...:)

Last edited:
An alternate view:

If money is no object, buy a Bose system for when you are at home. The rest of the time attend concerts in the most exclusive venues (Vienna, Berlin, Boston, etc).

An alternate view:

If money is no object, buy a Bose system for when you are at home. The rest of the time attend concerts in the most exclusive venues (Vienna, Berlin, Boston, etc).

If money is no object... you can do a bit better than the Bose, and include the gigs too!

The Ultimate Amplifier ~ Custom made...

I honestly don't know. But money no object allows a lot of possibilities. I'd probably do the following:

1) Get some insane single ended monoblocks made by hand to a spec agreed with the builder. Lots of wood and copper, custom wound transformers, exotic NOS tube types with loads of replacements and different tube types to try - including NOS Telefunken RS237s (211 equiv - rare as hen's teeth), 300B driver tubes, and probably a lot of AudioNote parts and ideas.

3) Talk to Chapter Audio, offer them unlimited dosh to build the best effort they could muster.

4) Get the established high end solid state contenders to submit designs - they best they can manage with costings and exotic finishes. Get them all built and submitted.

Then I'd just evaluate all of them - and give the ones I didn't like away to those MLOC members I felt I'd like to give them too!:D

;)I think this particular dream amplifier meets all of your listed criteria-and-then-some...

It's made by Ultrasound and it is called "Otello" a stereo amp. Their has only been one made and it was hand crafted to the owners spec's. Cost $600,000 (USD). It is the most expensive amp. I have ever found. :bowdown:

Attachments

• ultrasound_Otello.jpg
    ultrasound_Otello.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 304

4) Get the established high end solid state contenders to submit designs - they best they can manage with costings and exotic finishes. Get them all built and submitted.

Why bother, when you could have a pair of these bad boys (500 watt Class A dual chassis OTL monoblocks) and turn off your heat for the winter? Thankfully, separate banks of output tubes can be switched on and off as power requirements change.

ma3.jpg

Ironically, a customer of mine who lives in a rather warm climate might actually order a pair. It takes two people three months full time to build a pair, which helps explain the $147k cost...no gold plated faceplates, although anything can be optioned...

Last edited:
That's really sweet, Robin, but noooooooo... don't like that one. Why?

Well, don't like the shape, it looks to be full of EL84s (good, but not the best), the transformers can't be real (way too small), gold plated rather than copper etc etc...

In a lot of ways, I like amps that really seriously take the p*ss. That use the oldest technologies, measure in really strange ways in some arrears (that means bad technically), look way geeky, are handmade by one or a few people max, are good perceived value for money, are made of good quality components and make you think that you'd like to own one...

Then when you plug it in, all hell breaks loose and you're totally gobsmacked!

Now, how much does it cost?

Chinese 211s, nice copper top, good sized transformers, nice wooden chassis, hand built by one man (or was it his wife?:)), simple circuit etc...

Place your bid here...:)

Attachments

• ao.jpg
    ao.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 313
Chinese 211s, nice copper top, good sized transformers, nice wooden chassis, hand built by one man (or was it his wife?:)), simple circuit etc...
Justin, this comes up again and again in your posts - why do you like a wooden chassis ?

Okay, I know that my Koetsu has a wooden body, but that is an entirely different application, and I like it not because of the wooden body but because of the sound. If it were made of fish eyes and sounded as good, I would still like it.

That's really sweet, Robin, but noooooooo... don't like that one. Why?

Well, don't like the shape, it looks to be full of EL84s (good, but not the best), the transformers can't be real (way too small), gold plated rather than copper etc etc...

In a lot of ways, I like amps that really seriously take the p*ss. That use the oldest technologies, measure in really strange ways in some arrears (that means bad technically), look way geeky, are handmade by one or a few people max, are good perceived value for money, are made of good quality components and make you think that you'd like to own one...

Then when you plug it in, all hell breaks loose and you're totally gobsmacked!

Now, how much does it cost?

Place your bid here...:)

is that you in the picture ?

Being a McIntosh guy this would be my choice. :clap:

Attachments

• mc2kw-trio_poweramps-s.jpg
    mc2kw-trio_poweramps-s.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 296
Back