Speaker Wire and Gauge

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Holiday

Reaction score
I have a motion line 7.2 setup..

Was wondering what guage of Speaker wire I should get...

I have the insides of my walls prewired already from when I purchased the home.. I believe its either 16 or 18 guage in the walls. So Im going to need to run about 3 or 4 feet at most from the jack to the back of the AVR..

Any recommendations

Last edited by a moderator:
Hola. For long runs, gauge No. 12 is the way. It is better to have a heavy gauge. You will have less power loss from the amp to the speakers. Happy listening!

My runs will be only 3 or 4 feet. I just need to connect my avr to my wall plates..

Will 18 awg do then?

Holiday,

I think what Roberto is saying is it will work but is not the optimum setup.

You want continuos heavier gage wire from receiver to speaker.

GG

Well the thing is all this wire was prewired in my house when I built it so no way to really get into the walls unless I tear them apart

I'm not sure exactly which Motion speakers these cables are going too. The Motions are low impedance (4 Ohm) speakers and require heavy speaker cables.
In any case the complete speaker cable is the sum of it's segments. You have to consider each segments length and wire size. A short segment of small wire is equivalent to a long length of heavy wire.

ps. A long time ago, I lived at the corner of Broadview and Pleasant Vally

Well the thing is all this wire was prewired in my house when I built it so no way to really get into the walls unless I tear them apart

A key to your question is the gauge of the in-wall wire. It would make little/no difference for the wire gauge from your component to the wall to be of heavier/higher quality than the in-wall runs.

They will be going to 2 Motion 12s 4 Motion 10s and a Motion C center channel.. I still cant decide between the Motion C and Motion 8 most say there is hardly a difference

Back