CLS2 to CLS2z conversion

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GDSA

Reaction score
I have a few ML speakers.
My CLS2's were changed to CLS2a config. some time ago with the ML (in field) circuit changes and I intended at some stage to do the CLS2z conversion.
I got most of the parts I needed, including Mundorf Supreme Film caps ( a bundle to make up the 50 mF equiv.) and Erse film inductors and all new resistors + the 10kV /.01mF polyester cap.(hard to find).
The big bundle of Supremes were only going to be in circuit in the "soft" switch position (which I had never liked or used) so I decided to just stick a new Solen on the board in position, but to remove the switch altogether and "jump" the Solen out of circuit to see what the other changes brought and then decide if I wanted to put all that money tied up in the Mundorfs into the "soft" position.
The total circuit board was cleared and the printed circuit traces cut where recommended (I used a drill as circuit traces are top and bottom in 2 of the 3 cuts). One of the transformers needed to be wired to the board differently too, to bring it down to 75:1

I used 20awg mono xtal solid copper in teflon for all the jumps and added wiring. I doubled the wires (some not visible as jumped under the board as well).

Easy conversion and a HUGE jump in detail...LOL ..so much so that I am thinking of removing the 50mF (bypass wire) and trying "soft" again.
I didn't do everything one step at a time so I can't be sure what made the biggest change but removing the Solens (which were not too old) will have helped and the Erse foil probably did no harm either.

7560779984_b72f502a4a_c.jpg

Last edited:
Hi GD,

Looks cool.

Make sure you take care of the panels. Replacement costs have gone through the roof.

GG

Latest posts

Back