Spikes on Hardwood floor.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cocobob

Reaction score
Does it improve the sound using the spikes.I have hardwood and wondered if using them would ad anything.Thanks Bob

Hola Bob. It is wise to use spikes for all ML speakers. If you want to prevent scratching your wood floor with the tip of the spikes, you can use a Hockey Pucks. Also, you can adjust the tilt of the panel back and forward for better sound stage and image. Trust your ears, and choose the position that you like most. Leave the new adjustment for several days, and then, change it again. Write what you listen and what you did like or not about the adjustment. You will adjust your sweet spot seat starting from the front theater row up to the back row of the theater. As soon as you had done several changes, go back to the one that you liked most. Each thread of the spike adjustment counts!...the use of the spikes, will cut away unwanted low frequency resonance, giving more precise, clean, deep bass notes. Happy listening!

Thanks roberto.Great info'What does moving the panel a littel forward and more tildted backwards do.What do you listen for,More bass'imaging'treble'ect.Thanks for the help.Bob

You move your position from the stage. As a general position, if you bring the panel to a strait position, (adjusting only the rear spikes in a such way to bring the panel forward), you have more presence, more first row. Remember to have 1/3 inner panel of both speakers facing you. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHWP6Bq8rHw If you put the speakers close to their rear wall, you increase the low frequency. Too close, the bass becomes muddy. Too far, you can loose deepness. Happy listening!

I put the spikes on and left them all at their lowest position.Which still gives quite a bit of heights.I am not messing with the rake yet since my speakers are new and only have 20 hours now.Plus the stock position sounds killer and if ML design them that way after much testing they know more than us.As far as hearing a difference I have not have time to really tell.My vacation starts today so this coming week I can really have time to use them and tweak.Thanks

Hi Coco,

ML factory azimuth setting allows the panel to project sound so that the highs and mids don't drop off when you are standing.

If you listen that way for the majority of time, leave it. If not, bringing the azimuth to perpendicular, or close thereof, will yield substantial improvements in speed, imaging, and dimensionality.

You may want to try once they are broken in and you are accustomed to the current sound.

Also, hocky pucks work fine but, in my experience, impart a "warm" mid bass / bass sonic signature. You may want to try other devices, such as the "BDR" pucks for the floor / spike interface. Again, major difference in apparent speed and imaging.

Good luck.

GG

Hey Bob, Gordon is spot on with the reference to the hockey pucks, they are nothing more than a cheap alternative until something better can be found.

Hey Bob, Gordon is spot on with the reference to the hockey pucks, they are nothing more than a cheap alternative until something better can be found.

All depends upon your personal setup. In my room, which has laminated flooring rather than real hardwood, the hocky pucks work great. They are a huge step above some very expensive audiophile pucks that I had prior. They are 100% rubber. What could be better to limit vibrations between speaker and floor? Don't fall for the whole "if it isn't expensive it can't possibly sound as good" trap. Some tweaks really are simple, cheap and effective.

Rich is spot on regarding personal setup.

I really liked the hocky pucks but prefer (sonically) the BDR product in my room.

GG

I found with my Vistas.I like them without the spikes.I loss to much bass with the spikes/
Hola cocobob, yes you are right with the quantity loss of the bass, but not the quality. What you are taking out, are bad bass resonances, and make the bass notes to be more precise and tighter. The bass player is... "there" with the other musicians at the stage. Usually with the spikes on, you can tell the bass notes, and not one bass note, and overall, the bass notes are more as the real thing. Too much bass, muddy the sound. It is the quality, not the quantity. On the other hand, this is a matter of liking. What I do like, not necessary must be your liking. Enjoy your sound the way that you like it!!! It is your system too. Happy listening!

Herbie's Grunge busters work well. He has some that will allow you to slide the speakers and no the speakers won't move when playing too loud music. :)

Interesting. Just the opposite with my Vista's. I have them spiked on hardwood with the AudioSerenity spike shoes (from the UK) and the bass quality and quantity improved. Tighter with better impact. I no longer feel the need to use my Grotto i (which also have the spike shoes) in 2 channel mode.

I found with my Vistas.I like them without the spikes.I loss to much bass with the spikes/

All depends upon your personal setup. In my room, which has laminated flooring rather than real hardwood, the hocky pucks work great. They are a huge step above some very expensive audiophile pucks that I had prior. They are 100% rubber. What could be better to limit vibrations between speaker and floor? Don't fall for the whole "if it isn't expensive it can't possibly sound as good" trap. Some tweaks really are simple, cheap and effective.

Rich is spot on regarding personal setup.

I really liked the hocky pucks but prefer (sonically) the BDR product in my room.

GG

Yes you're both right in ways. I was talking about my own experience with a floating wooden floor in a two storey house. I found the pucks coupled with the floor & the bass became boomy downstairs to the point that my wife wasn't appreciative at all.

Thanks Guys.As you know my Vistas are still breaking in.I estimate after jamming last night about 60 hours so far.So I assume I am still not all the way yet.The bass is getting better the more I play them.I will revisit the spikes after I get over a 100 hours to see the difference again.
When you guys refer to hockey pucks 'are you saying the puck used in the game of hockey.Thanks Bob

Yes, that will prevent to scratch your beautiful wood floor. And the Lady will not be mad at you too. Happy listening!

roberto no, spike plates have the same outcome but with a much better sound in my house!
bob,yes, hockey pucks as in the pucks used for hockey.

That's ok bzr. Good to know that the spike plates are much better. I also have customers that use coins instead the pucks, and won't scratch the floor as the point of the spikes do. Sound, well it is another way to break the mechanical impedance and avoid the bad resonances. Happy listening!

Back