Reference Video display - new top-dog

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonFo

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Since not everyone has the space/layout suitable for front projection, here is a Plasma display that is truly ‘reference quality’ and delivers stunning color, brightness and usable 3D capabilities.

At 65” it is a reasonable size, and I believe the 85” model is coming out later this year or early next if you really need ‘cinematic’ scale ;-)

Ever since the Pioneer Kuro line went away a few years ago, videophiles have been searching for the holy-grail of displays to replace their aging units or update to 3D capabilities.

It’s finally here, the Panasonic TH-65VX300 professional monitor.

Note that it is a monitor, not a TV. This things claim to fame is video performance, not useless bells and whistles most of us already have through other boxes, so no on-board Netflix, Amazon video, etc. here, just an HDMI input and the best video you’ve ever seen from a flat panel of this size.

At $4,799 ( retail, $3,600 street) it’s not cheap, but it is an excellent value, as its only competition is the similarly priced Elite LED LCD by Sharp (yes, they licensed the Elite name from Pioneer).

If that’s a bit above your budget, then the Panasonic VT30 series of Plasmas deliver the next best thing for a lot less. But this VX300 is the real deal when it comes to ‘home theater’ capabilities.

Since you're not likely to run into this unit at the local box store or even some A/V specialty stores, I thought I'd share this one with the club, as I know many of you are just as passionate about video performance as you are about audio performance.

I'd really like to see a side-by-side review of the Panasonic VT50 series and their corresponding professional monitors, to see which has the best picture quality.

If one isn't needing or caring about mounting a TV on a wall Mitsubishi DLP's offer some serious bang for your buck. Right now the 73" 3D DLP's are about $1000. The 3D on the DLP's are supposedly better than on LCD or Plasma. I've heard reports that it's better 3D than the cinema due to the active tech in the DLP vs Passive of cinema and LCD. I haven't tried the 3D on my DLP yet. Anyway the image quality in 2D is stunning and cinematic.

I looked at the Panasonic Plasma before I went with a Mits DLP. The Panasonic Plasma's can suffer from a pink tint or green blob that last I knew (mid Feb) Panasonic wouldn't acknowledge as a problem nor fix/replace under warranty the TV's with the issue.

269013d1318869075-green-tinge-fault-panasonic-vt30-gt30-st30-gt30-green-blob.jpg

Thanks Jonathan.

Not tried 3D or Blue Ray on my Panny GT yet but to my eyes, HD looks pretty damn good, especially with the settings optimized.

Can't say enough about how important settings are to really "pop" the performance.

And for the price, I personally can't complain.

Having said that, I'd certainly like to see the VX.

Gordon

Back