System #440 (Montis)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bradh1

Reaction score
Member name: Brad

Speakers: Martin Logan Montis, Stage, FX2's surrounds & sides, 2 Rythmik Audio E15 servo subs.

Other equipment: Samsung SP-A800 1080p projector, Carada 106" Masquerade masking system, Denon AVP-A1HDCI Audyssey 32, B&K Ref 200.7 amp, OPPO BDP-83, OPPO BDP-95, Toshiba A35, Clearaudio Concept w/MM cartridge, PS Audio GCPH, Apple TV, and a Squeezebox Touch.

Acoustic treatment: GIK Acoustics Tri-traps, GIK Acoustics Panels.

Brad

Attachments

• ML Montis 2.jpg
    ML Montis 2.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 1,362
  • ML Montis 1.jpg
    ML Montis 1.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 1,454
Last edited:
Very nice. I like the darkened room, you probably get not only great audio but also video performance out of that room. Congrats on the setup!

Very nice. I like the darkened room, you probably get not only great audio but also video performance out of that room. Congrats on the setup!

It does make a big difference, and the masking system really topped it off. A big added bonus with the dark room is listening to music in complete darkned:) it's a little tricky when listening to LP's.

Brad

It does make a big difference, and the masking system really topped it off. A big added bonus with the dark room is listening to music in complete darkned:) it's a little tricky when listening to LP's.

Brad

I completely agree. I also listen to music in almost complete darkness. I find the entire experience much more engaging. There are no other sensory distractions, only the music. When it comes time to change the LP side I use a small flashlight. :)
Also, having a light controlled environment for the movies is also vastly superior to having the setup someplace with windows.

That is just a great room you have there, The denon, speakers, screen and pj are awesome. You must be very proud of it and I love the Dark room for 100% immersion

That is just a great room you have there, The denon, speakers, screen and pj are awesome. You must be very proud of it and I love the Dark room for 100% immersion

Thanks, I do enjoy a lot. I use it everyday, TV, movies, and music. I log 2000+ hrs a yrs, just on the projector alone. ;)

Brad

I completely agree. I also listen to music in almost complete darkness. I find the entire experience much more engaging. There are no other sensory distractions, only the music. When it comes time to change the LP side I use a small flashlight. :)
Also, having a light controlled environment for the movies is also vastly superior to having the setup someplace with windows.

I agree 100%, the darkness is very engaging.

I do have Lutron light control. Its just hard to remember what track the LP is on sometimes. So up goes the lights before the LP is over. :ROFL:

Brad

Not sure if I missed anything but could you post a pic of your room in light I am dyin to see Montis in a home invirement

Thanx Bill

Not sure if I missed anything but could you post a pic of your room in light I am dyin to see Montis in a home invirement

Thanx Bill

Bill

Here are few shot full lights and flash. The room is so dark its hard to get a good bright photo. Sorry that the best I can do with camera I have.

Brad

montis (5).jpgmontis (4).jpg

How do you like your EM-FX2 as surrounds for your sides and rears? Do they blend well with the front three speakers?

I currently have Theos as my FL and FR with stage X center and was wondering how the FX2 would blend with them for side and rear surrounds?

How do you like your EM-FX2 as surrounds for your sides and rears? Do they blend well with the front three speakers?

I currently have Theos as my FL and FR with stage X center and was wondering how the FX2 would blend with them for side and rear surrounds?

I really like them. I just finished moving them down closer to ear height, just above the chair backs. I have 4 Motion 4's I am going to mount on the ceiling for Dolby Atmos. Once I replaced my AVP and get an extra amplifier

I know Dolby recommends direct for all speakers but the FX2 is bipolar and with them closer to ear height they work perfect. They have enough location but don't scream in my ear hear I am.

They do blend very well with the Montis. You won't be disappointed.

Brad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Great. Thanks.

I have almost also finished installing four Motion 4 from ceiling for Atmos. Also still waiting to upgrade my Emotiva XMC-1 to Atmos when the option comes out.

If possible please post pictures of your sides and rear surrounds. I can not really see them from the pictures you posted previously.

Great. Thanks.

I have almost also finished installing four Motion 4 from ceiling for Atmos. Also still waiting to upgrade my Emotiva XMC-1 to Atmos when the option comes out.

If possible please post pictures of your sides and rear surrounds. I can not really see them from the pictures you posted previously.

IMG_3853.jpgIMG_3854.jpgIMG_3855.jpg

With this height it keeps them a few inch lower than the mains. I watched passengers last night and they worked great.

Put up some pictures of your motions when you get them up.

Has Emotiva announced a release date yet. I am considering the Anthem AVM 60. I have pretty much resided on a Emotiva a-700 for my Atmos channels. For an extra $100 I can 7 channels 3 extras for future upgrades

Brad

Looks great! I watched passengers last night as well. I liked it. Will do regarding the motions once I have them up.

With Emotiva a release date seems to be just a rough estimate. Great stuff just takes then a while longer then promised to release their stuff some times. Regarding the Emotiva XMC-1 Atmos add on card they are saying first quarter 2017 but no further updates have been given in a while. I have an Anthem MRX 510 for my upstairs family room system. I liked the ARC but the Emotive DIRAC Live room EQ system was much better for me and my room issues. I use the XMC-1 in the dedicated HT.

IMG_3857.jpgIMG_3858.jpg
I just installed my Dolby Atmos height channels four Motions 4's.

Now I need to to decide on a pre pro to replace my Denon AVP.

The two that I have narrowed it down to is the Athem AVM 60 or the Marantz 8802a. The Marantz wouldn't be much of a change being in the Demon family as for ease of use. The Anthem will play 24/192 with ACR the Marantz won't with Audyssey engaged, unlike the AVP which can play 24/192 with Audyessy engaged.
Brad

Hi Brad

Great looking set up! Those Motion 4 you are using for Atmos look really good. Are the Motion 4 set up at 45 degree angles to the MLP? My Motion 4 will look very similar to yours once I have them put up. Are you using the Omnimount 10 w/c to hold them up there? If so then it should be very easy to tilt the Motion 4 in case you need too.

Have you considered, at all, if monopoles like the Motion 4 or 15 for the rear surround speakers would work better for the rear effects channels as compared to the FX2?

By the way, what are the dimensions of your room?

Let us know how the Motion 4 sound for Atmos once finish setting up your system for Atmos.

Last edited:
Yes they are with in a few inch of 45 degree I got lucky where the floor joist where. Here is the mount I used https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005BV0FHG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had thought about monopoles for the sides and rear, but Iam only 3ft or so from the sides when seating in the wing chairs. With them being bipole they work really well in my setup. I was worried about the back channel but they are working out as well.

Brad

I just order the Marantz 8802a to replace the Denon AVP, and an Emotiva A-700 amp to power the atmos channels. For an extra $100 I went with the 7 channel amp.

Brad

Back