Steven Wilson – a living legend

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonFo

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sometimes I think I built my audio room and system just to get the most out of Steven Wilson’s masterpieces. Talk about a living legend, this guy is amazing!

Every album that he’s involved with is worth listening to, carefully. So whether it’s his meticulous remasters of classic albums like Thick as a Brick or the works of King Crimson, ELP and others, to his own groundbreaking band, Porcupine Tree, the music and the audio quality are all outstanding.

I’m currently listening to his latest masterpiece, a collaboration with Mikael Akerfeldt (Opeth) titled Storm Corrosion. The CD/BluRay edition is the one to get as the multichannel mix is (once again) stunning in its creativity and effect.

This album delivers some of the most impressive soundscapes I’ve ever heard, lush at times, incredibly detailed and minimalist at others. Steven uses the music and his mixing skills to put sound near, far away and everywhere to create the appropriate mood, delivering emotional impact like few modern albums do.

Our MartinLogans are ideally suited to render the depth of these compositions and recording. It takes a speaker that can resolve dense mixes as well as allow a single plucked string to float in the air right in front of you to really appreciate the awesomeness of this album.

The DTS-MA HD 24/96 5.1 mix, played back through a high-end processor (like the Denon AVP-A1HDci), where the stream is decoded in the box and combined with room correction to deliver time-accurate, millimeter-precise imaging that is uncanny.
The dynamic range of this recording is impressive as well. Along with Steven’s own Grace for Drowning on BluRay, this new album (on BluRay) is a reference quality disc. It will show you what your system can (and can’t) do.

A note on the music: these are avant-garde compositions from accomplished musicians, it is a ‘lean forward’ disc that must be listened to. It is about the soundscapes, so plenty of interesting things happening sonically.

Steven Wilson is delivering on all fronts, I pretty much purchase any disc where Steven is credited with so much as just showing up in a picture ;-)

Any other Steven Wilson / Porcupine Tree / NoMan / Blackfield / Storm Corrosion fans out there?

What do you like best about the albums?

Last edited:
Porcupine Tree .3

Hi Jon - 4 CLX Joe got me into Porcupine Tree when I was asking about tracks with great bass. The above track is a major Apogee bass panel show off track - one that usually gets played when people come round for a listen. Those with Spotify - try the link assuming it works stateside. Those without Spotify, get it:D

I think Stupid Dream, In Absentia and The Incident are all great albums. Spotify also has the album you've highlighted, and I have given it a couple of listens, but I didn't really like it as much as the PT stuff, being honest about it. However, I can see some people really liking it.

I also tried some Opeth as a result of the collaboration but I can't say I liked that either!:) It is in a similar vein to the PT stuff, just not as good.

Hello Justin!

Many thanks for keeping your Avatar picture. However, seems to me that you have made minor changes to the Avatar picture.

The picture of the cat looks even more appealing than before. Definitely, a treat for the eyes.

Many thanks to you my friend!

From another cat caretaker - RAH.

Last edited:
I also tried some Opeth as a result of the collaboration but I can't say I liked that either!:) It is in a similar vein to the PT stuff, just not as good.

Blasphemy! j/k Death metal prog rock isn't for everyone. :) :devil:

I got into Porcupine Tree/Steven Wilson because of his collaboration with Opeth with the album Blackwater Park. I'm more of an Opeth fan (one of my favorite bands) than a Porcupine Tree fan, but I do like me some PT. I did see them tour together in 2003 supporting Opeth's Damnation and Porcupine Tree's In Absentia.

I'm partial to PT's Stupid Dream and Lightbulb Sun. In Absentia is good too and definitely showcases Opeth's influences on Steven Wilson. The albums after that I'm less familiar with, I need to listen to them more along with SW's solo album.

Opeth's Damnation sounds absolutely fantastic thanks to Steven Wilson. It's probably the best sounding non jazz/classical album I've ever heard as far as sound quality is concerned and I love the music as well but I'm sure SW made it that much more "magical" due to his production.

Regarding Storm Corrosion, I haven't had a chance to listen to a whole lot yet. It's weird. I figured it'd be less experimental. It's a hard listen mostly due to the lack of percussion, which is probably why most classical is hard for me to get into. The album does sound good on my ML's. :music:

Sorta OT, Jonathan, but you're aware of the Wilson remastered ELP sets now up for preorder @ Amazon.uk, no? If they're anything like his Aqualung remaster, they should be superb.

Hello Justin!

Many thanks for keeping your Avatar picture. However, seems to me that you have made minor changes to the Avatar picture.

The picture of the cat looks even more appealing than before. Definitely, a treat for the eyes.

Many thanks to you my friend!

From another cat caretaker - RAH.

it's OK - but I haven't actually changed it as far as I am aware. Maybe you're using a better monitor?:)

Regarding Storm Corrosion, I haven't had a chance to listen to a whole lot yet. It's weird. I figured it'd be less experimental. It's a hard listen mostly due to the lack of percussion, which is probably why most classical is hard for me to get into. The album does sound good on my ML's. :music:

Well put - pretty much what I think.

it's OK - but I haven't actually changed it as far as I am aware. Maybe you're using a better monitor?:)

Hello Justin! Sorry to have troubled you. It seemed to me the picture of the cat had been slightly rotated towards the left.

Guess i was mistaken. I have not changed my monitor. I use a Dell monitor.

Good luck my friend!

Last edited:
Sorta OT, Jonathan, but you're aware of the Wilson remastered ELP sets now up for preorder @ Amazon.uk, no? If they're anything like his Aqualung remaster, they should be superb.

Thanks ken, I saw the news on the surround music sub-forum on AVS, and immediately pre-ordered ;-)

Like I said, if Steven is remotely involved, its worth a listen.

Not that I've become a fan of NoMan, but it is well done nonetheless.

this ELP set should be great.

Porcupine Tree .3

Hi Jon - 4 CLX Joe got me into Porcupine Tree when I was asking about tracks with great bass. The above track is a major Apogee bass panel show off track - one that usually gets played when people come round for a listen. Those with Spotify - try the link assuming it works stateside. Those without Spotify, get it:D

I think Stupid Dream, In Absentia and The Incident are all great albums. Spotify also has the album you've highlighted, and I have given it a couple of listens, but I didn't really like it as much as the PT stuff, being honest about it. However, I can see some people really liking it.

Hi Justin, agreed, Stupid Dream is one of my favorite albums. The DVD-A I have gets quite the workout on a regular basis.

And yes, the Storm Corrosion is not for everyone, a very creative set of soundscapes is not the ticket all the time, but well worth a serious listen on a good setup at least once.

Hi Justin, agreed, Stupid Dream is one of my favorite albums. The DVD-A I have gets quite the workout on a regular basis.

And yes, the Storm Corrosion is not for everyone, a very creative set of soundscapes is not the ticket all the time, but well worth a serious listen on a good setup at least once.

Yeah TBH must be good to get something by Steve on Blu Ray surround. Bet it sounds great on your set up.

|Tch0rT| - actually I have given Opeth's Damnation three more plays. I've decided it's good:)

JonFo,

I saw something on this some time ago, but I did not remember if I had pre-ordered it. So I went ahead and ordered it again:)

Steve Wilson is awesome. He alone makes CLXs worth the money:)

Thanks for reminding me about Storm Corrosion.

Back