Speaker Stands for Motion 4

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbradberry

Reaction score
I want to buy Motion 4 speakers for the rear channels of my surround system. Because of room layout, I have to use speaker stands. Does anyone know of a speaker stand that will work with Motion 4? I want something that will allow me to screw down the speakers, not just set them on top of a stand. I've been looking at the Sanus HF1B stands.

I also wanted to fix the speaker to the stand, not set it on the top. I used Sanus EF Sat stands. I think I got them cheapest at NewEgg. What you are looking at could be made to work also I think. I believe the EF is a little more solid. The Motion 4s are 6 lbs, but the weight is hanging forward, so being a substantial stand is a plus.

It comes down to what hardware comes with the stand, and how much you want to find at your local hardware store. The motion 4s have a threaded hole in the back for inserting a shoulder bolt. That hole is threaded 1/4-20. I screwed a 1/4-20 stud about 2 or 3" long into that hole. I don't know if you could damage anything by screwing into the speaker too far, so I put 2 1/4-20 nuts on one end (tight against each other) leaving the same amount of thread exposed as there is on the shoulder bolt that comes with the motion 4. That way, I'm sure it can't go in too far. Holding the speaker up to the stand, and using one of the slotted brackets that come with the Sanus, I put the stud through the slot and then put 2 more 1/4-20 nuts on the end (again, tight against each other). That makes a very solid connection. That's worked well for a few months now. Just adjust the height so the tweeters are about at ear level in your seated position.

Hope that helps.

Back