Regarding Prodigy

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stereonerd

Reaction score
6 Bayly St, Baylys Beach, 0377, New Zealand
Can anyone direct me to a discussion on the relative comparative merits of different generations/models of Martin Logan speakers? I own a pair of Puritys (2007, discontinued) and LOVE them but, as I sometimes test hi-fi gear for a magazine, would really like the flexibility of NOT having an on-board power amp. It's hard to get MLs in NZ now because there's no agent for them. But I've seen several for sale recently. One is the Prodigy (2001? discontinued), another the Summit, and then again the really old CLS classic. I want to somehow get an idea of the good things and bad things about these speakers. Anyone?
Thanks for your help!

First off, the Summit does have an onboard power amp.
Your other questions can all be answered here on the site. Spend some time reading and searching and you'll find people's experiences with each model ML has put out.. But in a nutshell, here are MY thoughts:
Rules of thumb are this: The older the model, the more difficult to drive. The bigger the panel, the more difficult to drive. The bigger the panel, the more issues you'll have with placement and the more $$ you'll spend on getting new panels when it's time for that. The Prodigy, for example is a MASSIVE speaker. Difficult to move around and position because of the sheer size of it's bass cabinet, of course, one of ML's best when driven with proper amplification. Some regard the CLS as the best speaker ML ever made because it's a full range and not a hybrid.

Last edited:
I'm with Tom, I LOVE my Prodigy!!! Freakin' AWESOME!!! I drive mine with a Rotel RB1090 and it has PLENTY of power for them!

I'm of the opinion that the Prodigy is still the best hybrid speaker ML ever produced. Yes, Virginia, size does matter.

Back