Visit with SlowGEEZR

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I had a fun trip to Austin, Texas this past week, and got a chance to visit with Steve (slowGEEZR) and just had a great time. Steve took me out to the Saxon Pub one night to hear a band of locals. It was made up of very accomplished musicians. The keyboardist, in particular, was just incredible. I think he has played with everyone from the Allman Brothers to Stevie Ray Vaughn. He just ROCKED the keyboard. The rest of the band was also top-notch and I thoroughly enjoyed listening to them.

Then, on Monday my wife and I visited with Steve and his wife Joyce at their house. Had a nice visit and got to hear Steve's system. The Wilson Watt Puppies sounded superb, even though Steve is in the middle of transitioning his system and just had a Krell integrated driving it. I am sure it will sound incredible when he gets his new Pass Labs XA 100 mono blocs and preamp. I love the way he has all his music served up from an Apple mini running the Amarra software. Definitely spurring me to get my butt in gear to start the arduous task of burning all my cds.

That evening, Steve and Joyce treated us to some incredible Texas BBQ. See the pictures below. The first is a picture of the pit at the Salt Lick BBQ. The second is a picture of us after our meal. We were actually both pretty skinny before we walked into that place. :eek:

Attachments

• bbqpit.jpg
    bbqpit.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 206
  • Rich&Steve.jpg
    Rich&Steve.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 229
Rich, Steve, thanks for sharing.
Glad to see good times were had by all.

I remember the fun times we had at Axpona ATL last year, so I know you both enjoyed the visit.

Cheers!

I meant to add this photo. This is a shot of the band we saw at the Saxon Pub. It is a little blurry -- taken with an iphone from pretty far away. Steve can tell you who the band members are.

theband.jpg

The Salt Lick is awesome. I need to make the drive up for one of the Austin groups little get togethers and then bring back some brisket.

I had a fun trip to Austin, Texas this past week, and got a chance to visit with Steve (slowGEEZR) and just had a great time. Steve took me out to the Saxon Pub one night to hear a band of locals. It was made up of very accomplished musicians. The keyboardist, in particular, was just incredible. I think he has played with everyone from the Allman Brothers to Stevie Ray Vaughn. He just ROCKED the keyboard. The rest of the band was also top-notch and I thoroughly enjoyed listening to them.

Then, on Monday my wife and I visited with Steve and his wife Joyce at their house. Had a nice visit and got to hear Steve's system. The Wilson Watt Puppies sounded superb, even though Steve is in the middle of transitioning his system and just had a Krell integrated driving it. I am sure it will sound incredible when he gets his new Pass Labs XA 100 mono blocs and preamp. I love the way he has all his music served up from an Apple mini running the Amarra software. Definitely spurring me to get my butt in gear to start the arduous task of burning all my cds.

That evening, Steve and Joyce treated us to some incredible Texas BBQ. See the pictures below. The first is a picture of the pit at the Salt Lick BBQ. The second is a picture of us after our meal. We were actually both pretty skinny before we walked into that place. :eek:

It was our pleasure Rich. We had a great time. Cindy is a hoot and Adelle (Adella? did I spell her name correctly?) is cute as a button and may have a future in the hair fashion industry! Y'all (as we say here in Texas) are welcome anytime.

The Pass gear is scheduled to arrive on the 1st and I'm getting a little anxious.

Steve,

Are you buying or just auditioning?

Good to see a picture of you Rich. Looking well and happy from what I see.

Gordon

PS: Oh ya Steve. You looks as good as ever too my friend.

Last edited:
I meant to add this photo. This is a shot of the band we saw at the Saxon Pub. It is a little blurry -- taken with an iphone from pretty far away. Steve can tell you who the band members are.

View attachment 15422

Be happy to. The band is Eightysixxed.

From the left, Tommy Taylor ( http://tommytaylor.com/ ) is the drummer. He's been around and has made many albums with the likes of: Christopher Cross, Alessi, Eric Johnson, Will Sexton, Tommy Elskes, Kris McKay, NewMatics, Double Trouble, and many others. A fantastic drummer.

To his right is lead guitarist and songwriter David Lee Holt (http://www.davidholtmusic.com/ ). From his biography, "Born in Dallas, raised in Lubbock, and nurtured in Austin, David Holt came into the rock and roll game with all the right genes. He quickly earned his spurs as a guitarslinger and relentless road dog including extended stints with Jesse Taylor, Rosie Flores, Carlene Carter, Joe Ely, the Mavericks, and Bill Carter, and gigs with Jimmie Dale Gilmore, Butch Hancock, Lou Ann Barton, Billy Joe Shaver, the Sexton Brothers, and the Supernatural Family Band." I remember him as one of the lead guitarists (the other was David Grissom) of Austin's '90's group, Storyville.

Next is bassist Mark Andes ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Andes ). He was an original member of Spirit, an early member of Canned Heat, formed the band Jo Jo Gunne and has played and recorded with many other performers. He sometimes sits in for regular Eightysixxed band member Tommy Shannon ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Shannon ). Tommy is probably most famous for his work as a member of Double Trouble, the drum / bass duo of Stevie Ray Vaughan. His earlier work was as band member of Johnny Winter, with whom he played at Woodstock!

Next to Mark is guitarist Gabe Rhodes ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gabriel_Rhodes ). "He has produced and recorded projects for Willie Nelson, Billy Joe Shaver, Kimmie Rhodes, Waylon Jennings, Ray Price, Emmylou Harris, James Burton, Jimmy LaFave, Owen Temple, Paula Nelson, Dick Rivers, Beth Nielsen Chapman, Kieran Goss, Folk Uke, and Calvin Russell, among others. He has contributed to more than 17 nationally distributed albums in the last ten years. He also contributed production duties to Beautiful Dreamer: The Songs of Stephen Foster, which won a Grammy for Best Traditional Folk Album in 2005."

Last, but not least, is keyboard player Reese Wynans. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reese_Wynans ). He's the only member that doesn't live in Austin and was a guest member that night. He played keyboards with Stevie Ray Vaughan and has played with many famous performers including: Joe Ely, Brooks & Dunn, Trisha Yearwood, Martina McBride, Hank Williams Jr., Buddy Guy, John Mayall, Kenny Wayne Shepard and more.

Not bad for a happy hour band, just playing for tips!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6OfXLtp7v4

Last edited:
Steve,

Are you buying or just auditioning?

Gordon

PS: Oh ya Steve. You looks as good as ever too my friend.

Buying. I've already ordered the gear and am anxiously awaiting its arrival! Woohoo!

Oh ya Steve. You looks as good as ever too my friend.

nonsense.......you guys look like crap.....now for the food that looks delish !!!!!!

Steve you should have brought him over to my place so he could listen to a proper ML system! ;-) Not to mention the MBL's!! Now with MBL 8011 power thanks to Steve's back and lifting capabilities! He is going to get a MUCH bigger work out w/ his Pass amps (today if memory serves!) lugging those bad boys up the stairs to his listening room!

Hey James, great to hear from you. Haven't noticed you posting in a while. Wish I had remembered that you were in Austin. I would have made the effort to come see you too. Maybe next time. I'm sure I'll be back.

Come on Rich! Love to meet you and show off the system a bit! Always a good time!

Yea, I have been MIA for awhile. Battling some serious hearing problems and it is making my enjoyment of fine audio difficult... not sure it will ever get better (or even back to close to normal) unfortunately.

Latest posts

Back