DIY CLD-97 Laserdisc Player AC3 Mod with Step by Step Instruction guide

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

invenio

Reaction score
I just recently completed a Mod of my Pioneer Elite CLD-97 Laserdisc player to allow for AC3 output. For those of you not familiar with this, AC3 is essentially Dolby Digital 5.1. The last generation of Laserdiscs produced had an AC3 track that when output to a demodulator allowed for standard Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound. Although this is no big deal now, it really was a big deal at the time as DVD's were not out yet, and the competing format was VHS that was stereo only. It was only later in the Laserdisc life span that they started using AC3 and only a few of the last players released had AC3 output built in. The CLD-97 is considered one of the best players available in terms of picture quality but did not have an AC3 output. A shortcoming that has now been remedied! :)

I collect Laserdiscs and really enjoy the hobby. If at all interested take a look... Comments and suggestions always welcome!

Guide with pictures and download link

110667.jpg

Last edited:
Cool! Enjoy your laser disc hobby. I've got a Pioneer Elite (I think it's Pioneer) in storage. I don't know why, I only have a few laser discs and one of them is Pink Floyd's movie, "The Wall".:rocker:

Cool! Enjoy your laser disc hobby. I've got a Pioneer Elite (I think it's Pioneer) in storage. I don't know why, I only have a few laser discs and one of them is Pink Floyd's movie, "The Wall".:rocker:

Cool. Time to bring that baby out from storage! Laserdiscs are known for their excellent audio quality so you may enjoy listening to "The Wall" on you ML's.

Cool, I had my CLD-97 (which I still own) modded waaay back when with something similar. It worked great as long as I had an RF demodulator, which I no longer have.

Not that I've watched an AC3 disc in over 8 years or so. But nice to have, glad yours is giving you pleasure.

Cool, I had my CLD-97 (which I still own) modded waaay back when with something similar. It worked great as long as I had an RF demodulator, which I no longer have.

Not that I've watched an AC3 disc in over 8 years or so. But nice to have, glad yours is giving you pleasure.

I watch a Laserdisc about twice a week. It's really nice as they generally have very good soundtracks (I would say superior to DVD in many cases) and we like to watch movies from the 80's and 90's that we grew up with. It is good quality, yet retains a nostalgic feel. I have about 700 disks now.

If anybody is interested in the "hobby" of laserdiscs, I highly recommend it as it was a serious format that spanned 2 decades and was really aimed at the audio/videophile (unlike DVD and even Blu-ray). It is the format where things like widescreen presentations, multichannel audio, multiple tracks, commentaries, special features, special editions were born.

I have a Pioneer CLD-2080 and it too has no AC3, plus it stopped playing the other side automatically, and now will not play at all. I'm told it may need a belt replacement and adjustment by threads like this one.

DVD's suck in comparison in regards to sound quality. However I'm very happy with my BluRay player's sound (and picture).

My player is a paper weight to me, and I have the remote too.

If you are in SE Michigan and promise to restore it, I'll just give it to you (any forum member) for free. I don't have the heart to toss it in the trash, it was quite the machine in it's day.

Michigan is a bit off the beaten path unfortunately. :)

There are some places that still repair laserdisc players. You could consider sending it in for a repair. I really like the look and sound of laserdiscs so if it gives you pleasure it may be worth fixing.

Big Platters...

I also have a CL-97. My laserdiscs are concerts or music videos...most not available on DVD or Blu Ray. I still enjoy giving them a spin once in awhile. I run their 2 channel audio to my DAC with really nice results. I'll play Aerosmith's "Texxas Jam" tonight come to think of it.

I also have a CL-97. My laserdiscs are concerts or music videos...most not available on DVD or Blu Ray. I still enjoy giving them a spin once in awhile. I run their 2 channel audio to my DAC with really nice results. I'll play Aerosmith's "Texxas Jam" tonight come to think of it.

Very cool, another CLD-97 user! Do you by any chance have an AC3 mod installed. It's nice to experience the later laserdisc releases in glorious 5.1!

Very cool, another CLD-97 user! Do you by any chance have an AC3 mod installed. It's nice to experience the later laserdisc releases in glorious 5.1!
Hello invenio... My unit had one installed by MBS Audio by the previous owner. There's a few DTS concert vids on laserdisc that I am trying to get a copy. One is Clapton's "Unplugged" which fetches a pretty penny. Most titles on with AC-3s or DTS have audio that are uncompressed unlike their DVD counterparts.

Hello invenio... My unit had one installed by MBS Audio by the previous owner. There's a few DTS concert vids on laserdisc that I am trying to get a copy. One is Clapton's "Unplugged" which fetches a pretty penny. Most titles on with AC-3s or DTS have audio that are uncompressed unlike their DVD counterparts.

Very cool. I was hunting for that Eric Clapton album as well. I have the 2 channel stereo version but I am aware that there is an AC3 version if memory serves. I have a few concert LD's and they are great. One of the reasons I prefer LD over DVD is for the audio which you pointed out is uncompressed.

I also have a DNR auto-off mod installed into my unit as well. It's nice to be able to have modded equipment. The AC3 mod really takes the CLD-97 into the "best of" category for LD players, IMHO.

I have a link to the AC3 mod with full instructions if your ever interested in seeing what it involves. Here is the link.

Back