"Audiostatic" - Full-range Electrostatic Speakers

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never herd of them, they do look interesting.

Kinda look more like big ribbon speakers then they do electrostatic speakers.

Robin said:
I came across this unusual electrostatic speaker company, which recieved a glowing review from "Hi-Fi Choice" magazine in the UK...

http://www.audiostatic.com/default.html

Does anyone know of this kind of electrostatic speaker? Has anyone heard or auditioned them?

Cheers

-Robin
Hola Robin. They do look nice and neat! Long time ago, when I first listened a pair of CLSs, their sensitivity was around 84 to 86 dBs, same sensitivity of these. You will need a big amp, a monster amp, as the old CLSs needed. To have the dynamics, an amp like the VTL 225s, to drive them, perhaps is a must. Once, at the show in Vegas, I auditioned some good electrostatics, and they were made in Germany. Their look was like these, and if you want more spl, you add another speaker, next to the other, and the reference were up to three columns per channel. Also very, but very expensive. Still at that time, ML to my ears was doing good and better due to the nice price tag for "what you get". Thanx for sharing this with us! Happy listening,
Pura vida,
Roberto.

roberto said:
and if you want more spl, you add another speaker, next to the other
That explains this picture then. :cool:
audiostatics%5B1%5D.jpg

http://www.dynamicsoundaudio.com/demoSale.htm

Audiostatic - known

Hi,

I know the company for some time. This is a Dutch maker of ES loudspeakers and I had a chance to hear one of their older models in a shop here in Germany - was not sounding bad at all, I can tell you. This was the first opportunity for my wife to hear an ESL and (not being an audiophile) she complained to the sound of any conventional loudspeaker we auditioned - yes, occassionally she visits the shops with me - ever since.
When deciding to invest (a lot of) money in audio we opted for the Ascents somehow forgetting Audiostatic and other ES speaker manufacturers; and the MLs looked much nicer. In the same price category Ascents were better than any box out there. Although being big the Acents do not dominate our not-that-big living room. Seems that ML designers found a perfect match of beautiful sound and great looks (or the other way around depending on the perspective).

Audiostatic makes an excellent FR ESL, competitive with the Quads and the CLS's if memory serves correctly, they do need some power but they are excellent if not cheap.

A Dutch company...

miljac said:
Hi,

I know the company for some time. This is a Dutch maker of ES loudspeakers and I had a chance to hear one of their older models in a shop here in Germany - was not sounding bad at all, I can tell you. This was the first opportunity for my wife to hear an ESL and (not being an audiophile) she complained to the sound of any conventional loudspeaker we auditioned - yes, occassionally she visits the shops with me - ever since.
When deciding to invest (a lot of) money in audio we opted for the Ascents somehow forgetting Audiostatic and other ES speaker manufacturers; and the MLs looked much nicer. In the same price category Ascents were better than any box out there. Although being big the Acents do not dominate our not-that-big living room. Seems that ML designers found a perfect match of beautiful sound and great looks (or the other way around depending on the perspective).
miljac,

I appreciate knowing your impression of 'Audiostatic' ESL speakers, as I have never had the opportunity to hear Audiostatc speakers. I'm in agreement with you, 'ML found the perfect match of beautiful sound and great looks.' I know, I love my ML's and asthetically IMHO, ML Ascent i's look much better... :D

Cheers

-Robin

Audiostatic or Prodigys

As from this week I have both - and one set will have to go.
I've been using the Audiostatic Wings (full range electrostatic) for about a year and recently added a Final S200 sub to fill out the bottom end.
The Wings are probably the most transparent speaker I've yet heard (even more so than MLs and Quads I've heard) but do need a bit of power. I have driven them with a Plinius SA50 (suprisingly good despite just 50 watts), A pair of Parasound JC1s (they really liked the extra power) and now a Tact TDA 2200 which has the most open and detailed sound yet.
But the Wings without a sub can sound too thin, expecially on rock music. The sub helped balance things out a bit but integration between the two is an ever ongoing task !
I'm possibly replacing with the Prodigys once I get them set up to provide a more coherent and dynamic sound, though I may miss that extra bit of transparency.
If you like "unplugged" sort of music the Audiostatics can sound sublime (and are also a lot easier to position than big MLs with their small footprint. :)

liffy99 said:
As from this week I have both - and one set will have to go.
I've been using the Audiostatic Wings (full range electrostatic) for about a year and recently added a Final S200 sub to fill out the bottom end.
The Wings are probably the most transparent speaker I've yet heard (even more so than MLs and Quads I've heard) but do need a bit of power. I have driven them with a Plinius SA50 (suprisingly good despite just 50 watts), A pair of Parasound JC1s (they really liked the extra power) and now a Tact TDA 2200 which has the most open and detailed sound yet.
But the Wings without a sub can sound too thin, expecially on rock music. The sub helped balance things out a bit but integration between the two is an ever ongoing task !
I'm possibly replacing with the Prodigys once I get them set up to provide a more coherent and dynamic sound, though I may miss that extra bit of transparency.
If you like "unplugged" sort of music the Audiostatics can sound sublime (and are also a lot easier to position than big MLs with their small footprint. :)

I would very much like to advise you to trade-in the Final sub for something decent. I think it is one of the worst subs out there, very easily bettered by a Velodyne SPL subwoofer. You will be amazed by the quality offered by these little subs.

roberto said:
hola kach22i. Yep, those are the ones...do you know the retail price for them?...again, thanx.
Pura vida,
Roberto.

Those remind me of the old timpani iii,iv's from Magnepan. Very cool looking with them set up that way. The timpani's were my first intro into hi-end back in the late 70's.....Man I'm getting old :eek:

I've heard a lot about Audiostatic and most of it has been good. Unfortunately I have not had the chance to audition a pair yet!

Audiostatic...

amey01 said:
I've heard a lot about Audiostatic and most of it has been good. Unfortunately I have not had the chance to audition a pair yet!
amey01,

Me either. Someday I'd like to take a listen though... :D

wink said:
Those remind me of the old timpani iii,iv's from Magnepan. Very cool looking with them set up that way. The timpani's were my first intro into hi-end back in the late 70's.....Man I'm getting old :eek:
Hola...the Magnepan timpani iii were the ones that I had before I met ML. When I listened a pair of CLS, you all know what did hapen :D :D :D
Happy listening,
Pura vida,
Roberto.

roberto said:
Hola...the Magnepan timpani iii were the ones that I had before I met ML. When I listened a pair of CLS, you all know what did hapen :D :D :D
Happy listening,
Pura vida,
Roberto.

I'd love to be able to find a pair, just to have for the coolness factor...they didn't sound half bad either...but I haven't seen any for sale in a loooong time. Kind of like trying to find a set of Carver Amazing's.

....Just went to Audiogon after I wrote this post and what do you know, a pair of timpani iv's for sale for $1500.00 :p

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back