ML EM-ESL for HT?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boris

Reaction score
About to pull the trigger on a set of Electromotion ESLs after hearing them at Magnolia and I have a few questions.

How will they do for HT use? My seating area is just one 3-seater sofa, will the sweet spot cover this full area? I heard it is much larger then on the older ML electrostatics. I usually listen 10 to 5 db under reference.

How do they image vertically? I would like to get rid of my height channels if I could, ceilings are 8 feet if that matters.

Also, if anyone has opinions/reviews on the EM-ESLs that would be great. Demoed them for about a total of 2 hours at Magnolia on a few seperate occasions and fell in love but they weren't setup correctly. They were very close to the rear wall and placed fairly close together, I'm hoping once I get them home it'll be totally different, not that they didn't sound great as they were. The imaging was nuts with just them playing in stereo during a blu-ray.

Thanks

The ML Electromotion are fantastic speakers and they image great compared to the source. With my source you stand up and the sound vanishes from the air and you have to re position them but this was never a problem when sitting down in front of a movie. Although the electromotion are great, many members here including myself have went for the Vista and they are being sold at less than half off for 2K. I think if its just HT you could always get a pair of source and put the extra money towards an electrostatic center channel like a used theater or even better stage.

As far as your seating is concerned, either the Vista or Electromotion will be great as the small sweet spot is less crucial when its movie time I have found. If you add a nice center you will be in movie heaven . Here is a link to where you can score some Vista's for 2K, they have a larger panel and aluminum woofers so they really dig deep for explosions and gunshots when your watching your favorite action flick

http://store.audioholics.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=vista&gclid=CL2Fzon2ra8CFQRgTAod_2wTiw

AudioAdvisor where I bough my Vista has some factory refreshed models for $899 a pop http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=2MLVIS DKCHEBLK

The ML Electromotion are fantastic speakers and they image great compared to the source. With my source you stand up and the sound vanishes from the air and you have to re position them but this was never a problem when sitting down in front of a movie. Although the electromotion are great, many members here including myself have went for the Vista and they are being sold at less than half off for 2K. I think if its just HT you could always get a pair of source and put the extra money towards an electrostatic center channel like a used theater or even better stage.

As far as your seating is concerned, either the Vista or Electromotion will be great as the small sweet spot is less crucial when its movie time I have found. If you add a nice center you will be in movie heaven . Here is a link to where you can score some Vista's for 2K, they have a larger panel and aluminum woofers so they really dig deep for explosions and gunshots when your watching your favorite action flick

http://store.audioholics.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=vista&gclid=CL2Fzon2ra8CFQRgTAod_2wTiw

AudioAdvisor where I bough my Vista has some factory refreshed models for $899 a pop http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=2MLVIS DKCHEBLK

Sounds like the EM-ESLs should be pretty good for me then, I do about half and half music/HT and heard from various posts on here that the new EM-ESLs took care of some of the older problems like poor sweet spot and loss of sound quality when moving about the room. I'm really set on sticking with them because of a deal for a pair that I just can't refuse. Do the 8" woofers on the EM provide good midbass once you get them into a room? I'm currently using an Outlaw LFM-1 Plus so the down low bass is well taken care of at this point but would really enjoy some more midbass.

Welcome to the forum Boris!

Thanks for the welcome!

I always thought the mid bass was just great from my ML source but the Electromotion bass is a big step up in that department. I think by the time you bring home a pair of Electromotion you will notice a huge improvement providing your room is not a concert hall. I have heard the electromotion demo'd alot and if you can get them for a nice price then I cant imagine a better speaker for the money

There are many users here who own the Electromotion so hopefully they will join in and share their findings with you. I say go buy them if you like them and you wont regret it. I hope you did the audipphile squad when auditioning the Electro's lol. When I first did this listening to them the guy at BB turned the music off because he thought I was done and getting up

The sweet spot definitely will not cover the whole couch - these are 1 seat speakers. However, it is less problematic for movie watching and as long as everyone is sitting within the soundfield, the experience will be good.

The mid bass is probably the weakest link in the EM ESL's IMO. I however I like mid bass to slam you in your gut, these don't do that but their adequate enough especially since you have a sub to help with the low low end.

I'll echo that for music you're looking at 1 good seat for the sweet spot and for HT as long as you have a center channel everyone else will probably be fine especially if they aren't as picky about sound as you are.

The mid bass is probably the weakest link in the EM ESL's IMO. I however I like mid bass to slam you in your gut, these don't do that but their adequate enough especially since you have a sub to help with the low low end.

I'll echo that for music you're looking at 1 good seat for the sweet spot and for HT as long as you have a center channel everyone else will probably be fine especially if they aren't as picky about sound as you are.

What ML do you consider to have good mid bass slam ?

Welcome Boris. I am using EM's in my living room for TV and vertical coverage is not a problem. My ceilings are 9 1/2' to 11' I have never noticed a issue with sound not being proportionately correct. Remember these speakers have a 30 degree dispersion to the side but really none to speak of up or down so your image is only going to be limited by the height of the speakers some what.

Depending on where your L & R side surround speakers are located the interaction between them and your front L & R will effect the movement of sound from one area to another.
I found it was much harder to get my center to blend well with fronts and side speakers when it was under the screen. For me and my room above the screen seemed to help with that full sound you are referring to.
Though the EM does have a good center image you will want a center channel for movies sound especially when you have a TV and other equipment between them.

I have not noticed a lack of mid bass in TV/movie audio but have not used them for serious 2 channel listening. I use them with 2 Outlaw LFM-1's and Velodyne SMS-1 and there doesn't appear to be a gap in the transition between the two, they blend very well.

I don't think you will be disappointed with your purchase. Get use to them at home and continue to build your system around them.

This is just a curious question not intended to stir a pot of anything.
If you like mid bass that will slam you in your gut and your EM's don't but maybe you Sources's do or don't why would you not have speakers that don't do what apears to be important to you.
Most systems I have heard where people like mid bass slam or heavy bass it is an important aspect for any system they have.
Isn't having your system produce a sound you enjoy what we are all looking for?

I also enjoy great midrange and highs and ESL's are amazing in that regard. Since that's where most of the music is at I can be ok with not having my ideal mid bass response. Besides the way I went with my home theater I don't have room for 12" mid bass drivers. Also I don't think my neighbors would enjoy that either.

Well, thanks for the opinions everyone. Still want to go with the EMs but some of the things said here make me wonder. Is the sweet spot really that poor? If the sound is that much worse out of the sweet spot during music why wouldn't it be during movies?

Also I would love "mid-bass punch" but isn't that more a raw SPL thing? My subwoofer does it very slightly now with it being in the back of the room, is there a set of floorstanders that will deliver that punch these days which aren't massive in size? Wouldn't adding a second 12" subwoofer be a better way to achieve it over looking for floorstanders that can do everything in one?

Well, thanks for the opinions everyone. Still want to go with the EMs but some of the things said here make me wonder. Is the sweet spot really that poor? If the sound is that much worse out of the sweet spot during music why wouldn't it be during movies?

Because with 2 channel music you need the combination of the left and right speakers to create the spot on central imaging of the vocals or whatever instrument they put there. With 5.1 most of the dialog comes from the center channel. Left and right speakers in that config are more for sound cues/effects, music, or reinforce the center.

Also it's not that the sound is "poor" outside the sweet spot. It still sounds fine but it's just no longer amazing or 3D like. You lose the imaging, sound stage, and depth outside the sweet spot. People who aren't critical about such things (such as my wife and kids) won't notice or care.

Last edited:
Because with 2 channel music you need the combination of the left and right speakers to create the spot on central imaging of the vocals or whatever instrument they put there. With 5.1 most of the dialog comes from the center channel. Left and right speakers in that config are more for sound cues/effects, music, or reinforce the center.

Also it's not that the sound is "poor" outside the sweet spot. It still sounds fine but it's just no longer amazing or 3D like. You lose the imaging, sound stage, and depth outside the sweet spot. People who aren't critical about such things (such as my wife and kids) won't notice or care.

Thanks for the reply, seem to understand it better now. I'm always in the sweet spot so I should be pretty happy :D

Reading this review though really sealed the deal, can't wait to bring them home!

http://www.hometheater.com/content/martinlogan-electromotion-esl-speaker-system-page-2

Good for you Boris

The electromotion speakers are ace and you will love them. I find the electrostats make a great conversation piece but not always great conversation. One of my country buddy's came down to my house and whilst watching tv he asked me " So where did you get them air purifiers, they look pretty cool " . He was deadly serious too lol

Got a few hours of quality listening in today.

Worth every penny.

Really should have bought them sooner!

Latest posts

Back