Kingdom Of Heaven (DTS) "Two Disc Set"

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin

Reaction score
Title: Kingdom Of Heaven (DTS) “Two Disc Set”
Year of Release: 2005
Film Studio: 20th Century Fox
Genre: Action Adventure / War

I’ve always wanted to see a big state-of-the-art, action adventure film based on the crusades. Ever sense, I saw the opening crusades scenes at the beginning of “Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves” with Kevin Cosner, I’ve wanted to see a newer style film, which depicts the crusades in all their glory… Kingdom Of Heaven set in 'the-year-of-our-lord', 1184, is the film I have been waiting for. It is a grand tale of war and love lost and won. The crusades were a time of religious fervor and chivalrous honor. Ridley Scott’s epic film, Kingdom Of Heaven, walks a fine line, of which historical facts to show, highlight or emphasize, in this story of Christians vs. Muslims The plot follows the young desperately depressed and lonely, blacksmith, 'Balian', played magnificently by Orlando Bloom. Liam Nieson is fantastic as the baron and father to blooms character. He delivers a powerful, convincing and believable performance, all-be-it, shorter than I would have liked, but excellent all the same. Nieson has such a smooth yet regal sounding voice, I swear he could be reading stereo instructions and I would think, he’s reading from Shakespeare’s, Hamlet. What a voice... Then you have great Jeremy Irons, taking, over where Nieson left off. What can I say, Irons is awesome as well.

Eva Green is wonderful as the princess, sister of the king of Jerusalem, and lover to the Baron (Bloom). She is mysterious and extremely beautiful like a cool exotic dream… :D I just loved her in, “The Dreamers” and she doesn’t disappoint in this film. I cannot wait for her next film. Eva Green is simply an excellent actress. She exudes sexuality with just a look, which is just amazing.

Kingdom Of Heaven does show the inhumanity of man on both sides. However, I think Ridley Scott is more biased in favor of the Muslims, Scott depicts the Muslim leader, 'Saladin' as too benevolent, whereas in historic reality, he was nothing of the sort..., but having said that, to Scott’s credit he does show the butchery of both sides, well enough in, Kingdom Of Heaven.

I love the fact, this film shows the historical fact, which was that Jerusalem was ruled at the time by a Christian leper king. The siege of Jerusalem was magnificent and gloriously filmed and choreographed. The epic battle scenes are inspired and realistic to the historical times. Knights in shining armor have always fascinated me and the way they are honored here in this film is good enough for me. My favorite scene was the first battle, at the beginning between the Bishops soldiers and the Baron (Liam Nieson) with the untried Balian (Bloom), in the woods of France. Excellent action and fight sequences...

The dynamic sounds of this huge film are superb. IMHO, DTS is wonderful in any kind of war film, but necessary for Kingdom Of Heaven. All speakers need to have maximum juice for this 'Middle-Ages' war flick. Martin Logan’s revealing, as well as unveiled the soundtrack of this film...

The two-disc DVD set has many featurettes and historical background extras to delight you. A&E and the History Channel documentaries are excellent and give background to Kingdom Of Heaven, as a film. The second DVD disc is for all the wonderful Making of, and featurette bonus features. The first disc is the feature film.

Kingdom of Heaven is an awesome movie going experience for anyone's ML home theater. :D

:D HT relaxed, comfortably in ML bliss, until next time, let the movies turn you on…

Cheers

-Robin

Attachments

• B000AARKOO.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
    B000AARKOO.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 335
Last edited:
Kingdom Of Heaven "Director's Cut" ~ Blue-Ray

I loved this movie soooo much that I purchased it again on the extended "Director's Cut" ~ Blue-Ray high definition version... :D

I just got around to watching my Blue-Ray copy of this film and all I can say is Wow! Blue-Ray has such a razor-sharp, crystal-clear picture it is just incredible to behold. :wow: I am watching in 1080i resolution. But the sound, the sound is rich, full, powerful and richly detailed and I don't even have HDMI 1.3 in my system yet. I am just using component and optical connections only. :banana:

This "Director's Cut" version is like watching a whole new film, all of the story / plot details and necessary scenes are now included, which makes this film sooo much better. I highly recommend this version in Blue-Ray, it's totally worth the up-grade / purchase. So it you own a Blue-Ray player, you should seriously consider this Blue-Ray version to add to your Blue-Ray collection / library... :cheers:

Attachments

• Kingdom Of Heaven - Blue-Ray.jpg
    Kingdom Of Heaven - Blue-Ray.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 319
I loved this movie soooo much that I purchased it again on the extended "Director's Cut" ~ Blue-Ray high definition version... :D

Robin,

I think you have a problem that we need to talk about here... I think you have become a, a....a.... HD JUNKIE! :eek:

I am not sure there is any cure though so you may have to just treat the problem paliatively and keep buying HD-DVD and BD discs for the foreseeable future! :devil:

I can't wait to get a combo player like yours later this year and start that side of my collection as well! :D

Blue-Ray / HD-DVD Addictive Process

I think you have a problem that we need to talk about here... I think you have become a, a....a.... HD JUNKIE!

I am not sure there is any cure though so you may have to just treat the problem paliatively and keep buying HD-DVD and BD discs for the foreseeable future! :devil:
James,

Thank you for your kind concerns... I appreciate it really I do...
But I fear..., I've gone way past the problem phase and am deep into the addiction process.... Today, just purchased Blue-Ray's ~ "World Trade Center" and "Night at the Museum".... And on HD-DVD "Ray" and Payback - Straight Up (Widescreen Director's Cut)... I know..., I know..., I really shouldn't have but the :devil: made me do it... You know Joey. It's all his fault.

I need help man... :sad: I'm outa control...

I guess, I could just channel my Blue-Ray / HD-DVD buying craze into writing recommendations / reviews of all of the Blue-Ray and / or HD-DVD's, I currently own or am about to receive... Looking at it that way, I might hope to become truly thankful for my entertainment software addiction. :guiness:

Back