Weak Dialogue

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MixinSammy

Reaction score
I bought the motion 8 on Friday and still found that the dialogue was lacking. I've turned up the level on the center to try and improve my situation, but it really only made a minimal difference. When they were demoing the speaker for me in store (BestBuy), it sounded amazing and made a huge difference. At home, everything seemed just marginally better than what I had?? Am I missing something?? Also, I am using a Pioneer VSX-50 as my receiver to my home theater. It is supposed to have a function called "Dialogue E" that enhances dialogue for clearer/crisper production. The problem is, when I go to the setting I can only turn it on or to "Flat" which doesn't seem to help. In the manual for the receiver, it says there are other setting to set "Dialogue E" to, but I can't get my receiver to do it?? I'm honestly thinking of returning the motion 8 if I can't get it to reproduce what they did in the store. Can you or anyone you know help with this situation?? As always, any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Today's receivers have many settings and calibrations and are very complex. You have to spend some time getting to understand how they work to get the best sound that you can. Here are some areas to look at:
- have you run the calibration program carefully? Repeated it if you didn't get good sound?
- is the Motion 8 at ear level when you are seated? If not, tilt it up or down toward your ears. The folded motion tweeters are pretty directional.
- what listening modes are you using and for what input types? e.g. for Dolby D 5 channel, you might want to just decode, for Dolby 2 channel, you might want to use Dolby PLII Movie processing to convert to 5 channel.

Go to the AVS forum and search audio related, amps,receivers,and processors for VSX-50. You will find several threads to study that will begin the education process. You will need to understand your calibration system which is MACCA. You probably will need to search on that, too. I have an Onkyo receiver and it has Audyssey, so I'm not much direct help on your hardware. If it sounded a lot better at BestBuy, you need to master your receiver to get that at home. That receiver should work well with the Motions from what I can see of its' specs.

Hope that helps. :)

Latest posts

Back