GIK Screen Panel - anyone using this product?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

music again

Reaction score
I have been researching different acoustic treatments and thought the GIK Screen Panel would be a good place to start as it measure 32" wide X 72" high and are 3.5" thick. Now the panels are actually 16" wide, but there is a hinge in the center that allows them to be folded. So folded you have a 7" think bass trap!

I thought I could experiment with them a number of ways, folded in the corners as they recommend as a bass trap, and either behind my Summits, or off to the side walls for reflection control, or the back wall for absorption.

This seems like a very versatile product. So, has anyone used these panels? How is the build quality? How well do you think they absorb?

Go to www.gikacoustics.com and then to the Screen Panel

Thanks in advance for commenst!

TFA

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been researching different acoustic treatments and thought the GIK Screen Panel would be a good place to start as it measure 32" wide X 72" high and are 3.5" thick. Now the panels are actually 16" wide, but there is a hinge in the center that allows them to be folded. So folded you have a 7" think bass trap!

I thought I could experiment with them a number of ways, folded in the corners as they recommend as a bass trap, and either behind my Summits, or off to the side walls for reflection control, or the back wall for absorption.

This seems like a very versatile product. So, has anyone used these panels? How is the build quality? How well do you think they absorb?

Go to www.gikacoustics.com and then to the Screen Panel

Thanks in advance for commenst!

TFA

After living with Acoustic Panels on the walls for a few years, and hearing the benefit. I decided to get some bass traps. I went with GIK's Tri Traps, 2 in each corner. Before we installed them a freind I listened to a few track with lots of bass (without Audyssey) so we could hear the room. After installing them we notice lots more control (less boomy) you could hear more detail as the note decay. I reran Audyssey and that was the icing on the cake. One example was, Ray Brown & Laurindo Almeida Midnight Sernade (Bell Jeton LP). (side one) Round About Midnight, before the traps the bass note would kind of run together. With the traps you could hear each note so much more clearly, more detail, and control as each not was played. It was like Ray was right there.

I am sure you will get great results with panels. I hope this helps.

Brad

Thanks Brad!

Since I have NO room treatments currently, I thought having two of these panels to move around the room (unfolded for absorption and folded for bass trapping) would be a good way to experiment.

I will now keep the GIK Tri-Traps in mind. The ASC tude traps ar another option for the corners.

Thanks again.

TFA

Last edited by a moderator:
Do a search.

Tom,

Actually I did, but you can imagine once I put the word "panel" in the search, I would have spent the next week looking at hundreds of posts that were refering to the ML panel!

I am interested spcifically in the GIK "Screen Panel" product. This looks to be a very versatile "tool" one could use to experiment with room acoustics due to the fact you can use it as an absorption piece unfolded, or as a bass trap when folded. The size is substantial and it should be relatively easy to move around the room.

Was hoping to find someone using the product, and as a bonus, to point it out to the rest of the members.

TFA

I believe you can just stack them in the corner.
You can check them out on the GIK web site.
I'm trying to not "attach" anything to the walls right now!

TFA

I believe you can just stack them in the corner.
You can check them out on the GIK web site.
I'm trying to not "attach" anything to the walls right now!

TFA

You are correct, they can be stacked without being attached to the wall. They will even custom make sizes for you. I my case the bulkheads give me 7ft in the corners. GIK made 4 of mine 36" so they would fit.

Brad

Last edited:
Do the tri traps need to be attached to the walls or can you just stack two in a corner?

J

They just sit in the corner, work excellent as Brad has stated.
I run with just one in each front corner. I have one of their 244 panels hanging
behind the big screen tv.

Back