Custom Search
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New Montis speakers DOA. Very disappointing

Quote Originally Posted by Bradh1 View Post
    It took 2 Allen wrenches. One small one for the top 2 and a large one for the rest.

I agree this one couldn't have been listened to before shipping. You can see from the picture there is a lock on the lead and after connecting it I see no way for it to come loose without prying the lock off.

I hope this is an isolated case. If they are not listing to the speakers before shipping they should at this price point. Heck they should at any price.

The good news is there was an easy fix.

I have them running at 85-90 db. I will let them run for 3-4 days before I really sit down at listen. They do sounded like they where going in and out of phase or unstable a little when I turned them on. Now they seem to have settled down a little in the first 12 hr. Is that what you where hearing? I say in and out of phase, because it kind of reminds me of listening to a test disc with phase test tones on it.

Brad
    Yes and the bass fluctuated a lot. I used the stereophile breakin file for several days. Closed the door on my room and checked once in a while to be sure all was ok. My Bryston 4 got a bit hot but all was well.

I had the bass settings at 0.

Bass gets a lot stronger as time goes on.

The panel gets a lot smoother over time.

After that was done I tuned the speakers etc.

Mightbe agood idea for ml to break them in prior to shipping?

J
    Last edited by jmschnur; 04-05-2012 at 06:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by beek View Post
    Are we talking about the lock in connector in the pic? Maybe it was just inserted & not snapped in. that would make it pass a q/c test then it jumped all the way out in transport. Strangely enough Humans arent perfect I have seen this happen before with products costing alot more than 10 G's.
    Yes that's the one. You are correct if it wasn't lock it could've came off during shipping.

You are right humans aren't perfect and do make mistakes. I am just glad it was an easy fix.

Brad

I'm glad you figured it out .

You could/should still tell ML as I'm sure they can track down how it happened. It will be internal matter but good feedback nevertheless. If they say they test it, then it's probably part of their process. I would doubt moving to Canada would change that. I mean...Canada isn't Mexico ya know.

I could see that connector not being clicked while being assembled. Anyhow...enough excuses....I'm jealous...

Enjoy your top of the line speakers .

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Soderberg View Post
    Yes, as my friend in Costa Rica can tell you nightmares of what shippers can do, once goods are picked up from the factory, stuff happens. There has been no changes to the QC process that you saw in Kansas to the point the same quiet room that was in Kansas was installed in Canada. Now that we have been doing it a while, our failure rate has actually dropped slightly. glad it was an easy fix.
    Good to hear that, Peter. Very reassuring to hear that you haven't changed your QC process with the move of production. Thanks for keeping us informed.
    Rich

This comment is intended solely for educational purposes and should not be construed as conveying any express or implied warranty of fitness for any other purpose. Said comment constitutes merely the humble opinion of its maker and does not reflect the views of the MLOC or of ML, Ltd. YMMV. Trust your own ears.

A thread with a happy ending

Now we want to know how they sound in your system.

J

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Soderberg View Post
    Yes, as my friend in Costa Rica can tell you nightmares of what shippers can do, once goods are picked up from the factory, stuff happens. There has been no changes to the QC process that you saw in Kansas to the point the same quiet room that was in Kansas was installed in Canada. Now that we have been doing it a while, our failure rate has actually dropped slightly. glad it was an easy fix.
    Thanks Peter.

I would say it wasn't snapped in place and slipped off during shipping. Everything else from the packaging, ect was fine. I really liked how easy it was getting them out of the boxes. I glad to hear ML has changed anything in there QC.

Brad

Hola. Just thinking loud, it would be nice to have a sheet with the name of the guy who did the QC check signed by him... and a brief description of what he did check. This is for the reserve series. Also if a way to make sure that everything is O.K. when the product left the factory. Happy listening!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jmschnur View Post
    Now we want to know how they sound in your system.

J
    Me too. As of now i can tell the stage and image is better. The placement of instruments, back up vocals ect are better. The highs are better with more detail. I won't comment on the lower end until they break in. As you said a few post back they are going to need some time. Its just that phase or un stable sound in lower end that just doesn't sound quiet right as of now. I am hoping all that changes after break in. Like you I have left the bass at 0. I put them in the same place as the SL 3, and matched the levels with rest of they system for break in period. Sometime next week after a 75-100 hrs I will work on placement, toe ect. I had my son take a listen and he picked out the same things.

Brad

Quote Originally Posted by roberto View Post
    Hola. Just thinking loud, it would be nice to have a sheet with the name of the guy who did the QC check signed by him... and a brief description of what he did check. This is for the reserve series. Also if a way to make sure that everything is O.K. when the product left the factory. Happy listening!!!
    I might call ML as others have said, just to let them know.

Brad

Me too. As of now i can tell the stage and image is better. The placement of instruments, back up vocals ect are better. The highs are better with more detail. I won't comment on the lower end until they break in. As you said a few post back they are going to need some time. Its just that phase or un stable sound in lower end that just doesn't sound quiet right as of now. I am hoping all that changes after break in. Like you I have left the bass at 0. I put them in the same place as the SL 3, and matched the levels with rest of they system for break in period. Sometime next week after a 75-100 hrs I will work on placement, toe ect. I had my son take a listen and he picked out the same things.

Brad
    I found that when I used spikes, the speakers coupled very strongly to my floor . The room is a 2nd floor room which is carpeted. I used the hockey puck tweak to reduce the coupling to the floor. This helped a lot. After break in you will find the bass quite strong and able to raise modes in your room you might not have noticed before.

I have mine 4' 10" from front wall and about 30" from side walls in a 16x14 room. I have some treatment but perhaps not enough . I use an integra 80.2 with xt 32 and the pro kit. I have listened with audyssey on and off. The audyssey eq helps tame my room modes in the low end a bit. I xover at 40 hz to jl 112s. Couch is 30" from rear wall.

Compared to my Vantages, classical guitar, jazz bass, and well recorded piano are much better. As you said the staging is now very very good .

J
    Last edited by jmschnur; 04-05-2012 at 08:06 PM.

I might call ML as others have said, just to let them know.

Brad
    You can help others who purchase from M-L in the future by calling M-L and sharing your disappointment with the lapse in QC. Without going into details I can assure you that QC is becoming a real issue.
    Last edited by JayGee; 04-06-2012 at 12:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
    You can help others who purchase from M-L in the future by calling M-L and sharing your disappointment with the lapse in QC. Without going into details I can assure you that QC is becoming a real issue.
    This may not be over just yet. Above I was talking about hearing a phase like problem in the lower end. Well it's still there after 40hr of break in. I decided to check the phase by switching the leads to the speaker that had the problem. Well that fix the lower end, but put the panels out of phase. After this test I believe the woofer is wire backwards on that speaker.
    I think at this point Iam going to reverse the leads on that woofer.

It looks like the easiest way would be to remove the amp, and try it from the back. I would try it from the front by removing the grill, but it looks the panel would need to be removed in order for that to work.

Has anyone done this before?

Thanks
    Brad

This may not be over just yet. Above I was talking about hearing a phase like problem in the lower end. Well it's still there after 40hr of break in. I decided to check the phase by switching the leads to the speaker that had the problem. Well that fix the lower end, but put the panels out of phase. After this test I believe the woofer is wire backwards on that speaker.
    I think at this point Iam going to reverse the leads on that woofer.

It looks like the easiest way would be to remove the amp, and try it from the back. I would try it from the front by removing the grill, but it looks the panel would need to be removed in order for that to work.

Has anyone done this before?

Thanks
    Brad
    I think you should contact ml on Monday . The ethos service manual may help if you can find one although the amps are different. Not sure there is a montis service manual out.

J
    Last edited by jmschnur; 04-06-2012 at 06:37 PM.

In some ml systems the woofer is set out of phase with the panel. Not sure this is the case with the Monits but the DSP chip could be doing some strange things. I assume your other speaker does not have the issues you have experienced . I checked out some ethos reviews which had detailed comments about that speakers bass and DSP chip. Indeed that DSP does some things with phase . Before going into the speaker you might want to play with distance from your front wall . And then the Martin Logan folks should help provide insight.

What music sounds bad when you listen.

J
    Last edited by jmschnur; 04-06-2012 at 08:34 PM.