New Montis speakers DOA. Very disappointing

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Both speakers had all of there +\- correct except for one woofer which was wired red to black & black to red, on the back of the woofer. Like you said before they might be wired out phase. If so them both should have be. Ifthey are supposed to be, I can change them.

Do you feel like checking yours :) and reporting back.

Brad

They are tuned in so I am leery of moving them right now. Playing hsu pink 200 pink noise the image seems centered and the levels from 40-200 do not fluctuate very much after audyssey pro xt 32 eq.

J

Last edited:
They are tuned in so I am leery of moving them right now. Playing hsu pink noise 40-150 image seems centered .

J

I am sure they are fine. You would have notice right away if one of them was out of phase.

I am pretty excited, after tomorrow I will have close to 100 hrs on break in. Then the fun will start.

Brad

Have fun. Please let us know what ML says.

J

Here are three names; ask for them directly. If one goes to voice mail, try the next. They are sometimes slow to respond to voice messages.

Scotty Wenzel - Director of Inside Sales and Product Management
Dana Brown - Service Department Manager
Melodie Brouhard - Service Associate

Last edited:
Here are three names; ask for them directly. If one goes to voice mail, try the next. They are sometimes slow to respond to voice messages.

Scotty Wenzel - Director of Inside Sales and Product Management
Dana Brown - Service Department Manager
Melodie Brouhard - Service Associate

Thank you.

Brad

Update.

Dana called me today, and confirmed the woofers are supposed to be wired in phase (the I have them now). He also confired they do listen to every speaker before they are shipped. Dana also took the serial # so they can checking into why this happened.

I would like to thank everyone here on the forum, Dana (a great guy by the way) and, my dealer which has been great . As someone said a few pages back, a happy ending after all:D.

I will report back how they sound after a week or two.

Thanks again everyone:bowdown:.

Brad

Glad to hear it all worked out. Just about all of us have faced that "what is wrong with my equipment dilemma". Never a happy moment.
As you found the people at ML are a pleasure to work with.
Let us know how they sound as time passes.

Update.

Dana called me today, and confirmed the woofers are supposed to be wired in phase (the I have them now). He also confired they do listen to every speaker before they are shipped. Brad

My past M-L experience would build a case that if they do listen, they don't always pay attention. There is no way that the condition in which you found this speaker, it could have passed any listening test

My past M-L experience would build a case that if they do listen, they don't always pay attention. There is no way that the condition in which you found this speaker, it could have passed any listening test

As was mention previously, they should provide FR charts or something with the speakers. It is nice documentation and prevents major QA failure. Unless their FR is bad enough that they want to hide the charts? :-\

As was mention previously, they should provide FR charts or something with the speakers. It is nice documentation and prevents major QA failure. Unless their FR is bad enough that they want to hide the charts? :-\

I could understand why they could not do this full line, however, I think this is a great suggestion for the ESL line of speakers. I know M-L scans this forum..listen up!

ML service please read

I could understand why they could not do this full line, however, I think this is a great suggestion for the ESL line of speakers. I know M-L scans this forum..listen up!

My new Bryston 6 SST2 came with a chart showing THD, power etc after 100 hours for each channel . I really think ML should do similar paper documentation of the speakers. Not to hard to do. My Audyssey pro kit does this easily; at least for speakers in their reserve series. Omni mike or Audyessey pro would also pick up the phase error.

Break the speakers in for 50 hurs or so, then test them, then ship them.

I agree this should have been found at the factory or it sounds like some act of sabatoge by a disgruntled employee.

My new Bryston 6 SST2 came with a chart showing THD, power etc after 100 hours for each channel . I really think ML should do similar paper documentation of the speakers. Not to hard to do. My Audyssey pro kit does this easily; at least for speakers in their reserve series. Omni mike or Audyessey pro would also pick up the phase error.

Break the speakers in for 50 hurs or so, then test them, then ship them.

I agree this should have been found at the factory or it sounds like some act of sabatoge by a disgruntled employee.

I can see the connector not being snapped in and coming loose during shipping. If thats the case them it would have passed the listening test. Sabatoge did enter my mind after finding the other speakers driver being wired out of phase. When you hear a set of speakers with one driver wired out of phase you know it, and the tester should have heard the same thing.

Bottom line ML makes a great product and thing do happen, they are made by humans. I am sure now that I have them wired correctly they are fine. Dana reported to me that this was the first problem with the Montis.

I agree it would be nice if they (ML) would give a report on there speakers, at least on the high end line like Others (Bryston ect) do.

Brad

Hi Brad,
I had a similar problem with my CLX's when they arrived. The light in one crossover box didn't work. Not a big problem you may think except the speakers were $24K. I phoned the dealer in Australia and he was reluctant to get them freighted back. I live in Mackay they are in Sydney 1,800 miles away. Anyway I ended up getting permission to open up the speaker crossover box (without voiding the warranty) and a wire was off at a joiner similar to the one in your photo. Connected it together and hey presto the light works. Now I just sit back and enjoy the music and I must say that they make beautiful music. I hope you enjoy your ML's as much as I am enjoying mine.
Tony.
I can see the connector not being snapped in and coming loose during shipping. If thats the case them it would have passed the listening test. Sabatoge did enter my mind after finding the other speakers driver being wired out of phase. When you hear a set of speakers with one driver wired out of phase you know it, and the tester should have heard the same thing.

Bottom line ML makes a great product and thing do happen, they are made by humans. I am sure now that I have them wired correctly they are fine. Dana reported to me that this was the first problem with the Montis.

I agree it would be nice if they (ML) would give a report on there speakers, at least on the high end line like Others (Bryston ect) do.

Brad

Hi Brad,
I had a similar problem with my CLX's when they arrived. The light in one crossover box didn't work. Not a big problem you may think except the speakers were $24K. I phoned the dealer in Australia and he was reluctant to get them freighted back. I live in Mackay they are in Sydney 1,800 miles away. Anyway I ended up getting permission to open up the speaker crossover box (without voiding the warranty) and a wire was off at a joiner similar to the one in your photo. Connected it together and hey presto the light works. Now I just sit back and enjoy the music and I must say that they make beautiful music. I hope you enjoy your ML's as much as I am enjoying mine.
Tony.

I am glad you got it fixed without having to box them up, and ship them back. Its just disappointing when you unbox everything and hook it and something doesnt work. Let hope they can keep this from happening in the future.

I will enjoy them. Maybe not as much as I would if they were CLX's:bowdown:. I know my wife is glad my room isnt big enough for the CLX's:ROFL:.

Brad

Update.

Dana called me today, and confirmed the woofers are supposed to be wired in phase (the I have them now). He also confired they do listen to every speaker before they are shipped. Dana also took the serial # so they can checking into why this happened.

I would like to thank everyone here on the forum, Dana (a great guy by the way) and, my dealer which has been great . As someone said a few pages back, a happy ending after all:D.

I will report back how they sound after a week or two.

Thanks again everyone:bowdown:.

Brad

Thankfully the euphoria of resolving the problem (and getting to the fun) usually compensates for the unpleasantness of discovering the problem to begin with. I too have spent large sums on items only to feel crushed when my expectations were not met. Probably true for the majority of us who call high-end audio a hobby. That's life in this imperfect world.

Congrats on the resolution and I wish you much (unfettered) happy listening ahead!

tsv_1 said:
I too have spent large sums on items only to feel crushed when my expectations were not met. Probably true for the majority of us who call high-end audio a hobby. That's life in this imperfect world.
Todd, that's when the services of a good dealer come into play. As a result, I have not had any major disappointments. The only major components I bought used (and unheard) were my ARC monoblocks (I went by pedigree), and they have performed virtually flawlessly (had to replace power switches on both).

Todd, that's when the services of a good dealer come into play. As a result, I have not had any major disappointments. The only major components I bought used (and unheard) were my ARC monoblocks (I went by pedigree), and they have performed virtually flawlessly (had to replace power switches on both).

I will often call my dealer to help mitigate frustrations and disappointments... but he's probably not the same kind of dealer you're referring to ;)

i am now having a problem with my Stage speaker which is distorting and I am working with Scott. he sent me a new power supply for it and it still distorted then a new stat panel still distorted. at this point they said to ship it back to them and they would look at it and report what they found I sure hope they find what is casuing it to distort. I have replaced it for now with a NHT center speaker and i have no more distortion.

i am now having a problem with my Stage speaker which is distorting and I am working with Scott. he sent me a new power supply for it and it still distorted then a new stat panel still distorted. at this point they said to ship it back to them and they would look at it and report what they found I sure hope they find what is casuing it to distort. I have replaced it for now with a NHT center speaker and i have no more distortion.

Keep us post on what they find. Could you tell if the distortion was coming from a particular driver, or the whole speaker on general.

Brad

My wife really likes the CLX's. I have a room that was designed to separate the music area from the rest of the house. I had the garage built in (Man land). Unfortunately I had sky channel (cable) fitted and they could only wire it to the music room television. (I watch TV occasionally) This was a house design problem. Now I have to fight to listen to music. Especially during the winter when the footy is on TV. I have two daughters so it is useless trying to fight the inevitable. Now I don't know what to call the room. I do get some late night listening in though.

Tony.

I am glad you got it fixed without having to box them up, and ship them back. Its just disappointing when you unbox everything and hook it and something doesnt work. Let hope they can keep this from happening in the future.

I will enjoy them. Maybe not as much as I would if they were CLX's:bowdown:. I know my wife is glad my room isnt big enough for the CLX's:ROFL:.

Brad

Latest posts

Back