How to catalog Classical music

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FoxMulder

Reaction score
Hey guys! Need your help. I'm not a classical music kinda guy, however I have a HUGE Mobile Fidelity LP collection. Like all but maybe 30-40 titles of everything that MOFI has ever done. Most of the missing titles are classical music, which I am starting to find and buy.

How do you guys catalog, (actually more to the point) how do you store these titles on the shelf, so that you can find them? Do they go by Composer or Conductor or piece of music or???

Not sure how to do it. Thanks for your help! :confused:

Fox,

If the LP contains the work of a single composer, recommend alphabetical.

For multiple composers, I'd go type as in piano concertos, baroque, strings only, etc.

Todd or Bernard are our local classical collectors that I'm aware of. I'm sure there are others. They probably have a better idea.

GG

GG,

Thanks! I already do all of my albums alphabetical, but with classical, do you alphabetize by Composer, Conductor or work?

I guess as long as I am consistent with the process, it probably doesn't matter, but I need a starting point.

Thanks again!

GG,

Thanks! I already do all of my albums alphabetical, but with classical, do you alphabetize by Composer, Conductor or work?

I guess as long as I am consistent with the process, it probably doesn't matter, but I need a starting point.

Thanks again!

I alphabetize my classical collection by composer for the most part. For compilation or oddball discs, I've been grouping them by label (i.e AliaVox, Dorian, etc) and then alphabetical by title within the label groupings. Works for me.

Cheers

GG,

Thanks again!

The problem is, an album may contain one or more composers, works or conductors. Very difficult.

First - you need to be consistent.

I sort by composer surname on my music server. I put this information in the "Artist" tag, along with the actual artist as the tagging system is not set up for classical music at all. I then categorise by album, putting the works in the "album" tag.

For albums with multiple composers, I simply list by the main/primary one.

Hey guys! Need your help. I'm not a classical music kinda guy, however I have a HUGE Mobile Fidelity LP collection. Like all but maybe 30-40 titles of everything that MOFI has ever done. Most of the missing titles are classical music, which I am starting to find and buy.
Are you planning to listen to these LPs rather than just acquire them to complete a label? If the latter, I find it unusual.
How do you guys catalog, (actually more to the point) how do you store these titles on the shelf, so that you can find them? Do they go by Composer or Conductor or piece of music or???

Not sure how to do it. Thanks for your help! :confused:
Like the others, I store them by composer. It does get complicated when you have more than one composer on an LP, but if it's a filler track by another composer, I just store by the major composer. There must be cataloging software out there which you can use to do cross-referencing.

A friend of mine gets a kick by saying that beyond storing them by composer I store them by date of death. To him classical music is dead people's music.

Back