Motion 4 stands ?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chess

Reaction score
I need adjustable stands for my Motion 4's.

What do yall think are the best ?

I have looked at the adjustable Sanus mounts as well as a few other.

I will not be wall mounting them so it isnt an option :(

There is a threaded hole, ¼ - 20, thread I believe, that takes the shoulder bolt that fits into the wall mount. I made use of that hole to mount my 4s to a Sanus EF Sat stand.

I’m not crazy about using a platform on the stand and just sitting the speaker on the platform. So, I used a piece of threaded rod about 2 or 3 inches long. I put 2 nuts on the rod so that the same amount was available to go into the speaker hole as there is on the shoulder bolt (I don’t know if you could damage the speaker if you put the rod in too far).

I mounted a slotted mount on the top of the stand and fixed the speaker to it using nuts on either side of the slotted mount. I had 2 short threaded rods, but you can get stuff like that at a decent hardware store. Those stands are very stable and do a fine job with the Motion 4s.

Hope that helps.

I had the same quandary with my Motion 4's (as surrounds) Finally decided on these and couldn't be happier. The hover bar option is the main feature but there is also a straight bar option if you prefer.
There is mounting hardware galore for a multitude of options so I'm sure you'll be able to make use of the existing parts - I did.
Oh, and yes, they are adjustable height stands. Mine look fantastic and really makes a difference with sound distribution.
Oh yea, I did go through ML Sales department, local home theatre shops and searched high and low on the internet and this is what I came up with for stands. ML couldn't pin down or recommend any particular model but kust refereed to a few of the big names - which Sanus is at the top of the list. Got mine from Vann's for $60.00 / free shipping/no tax Beat Best Buy by $30.00!

http://www.sanus.com/us/en/products/speaker-foundations/sp-hover/HF1

Chess,
Not sure if you've bought your stands yet, but I'm a new Motion series owner and was in the same situation. I have my tv in a bay window and couldn't wall mount my motion 4's and wanted a stand for them. For me, the Sanus stands worked great. Here is a link to them at BestBuy.
Not sure if you have BestBuy by you or not, but I got the stands for $55 and they screw right into the back of the motion 4's which means you don't have to mess with velcro or any sticky stuff on your speakers to hold them in place. I like the way they look and how they work with the motion 4's. Here is the link. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sanus+-...9.p?id=1055388028260&skuId=5590489&st=speaker stands&cp=1&lp=1

Chess,
Not sure if you've bought your stands yet, but I'm a new Motion series owner and was in the same situation. I have my tv in a bay window and couldn't wall mount my motion 4's and wanted a stand for them. For me, the Sanus stands worked great. Here is a link to them at BestBuy.
Not sure if you have BestBuy by you or not, but I got the stands for $55 and they screw right into the back of the motion 4's which means you don't have to mess with velcro or any sticky stuff on your speakers to hold them in place. I like the way they look and how they work with the motion 4's. Here is the link. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sanus+-...9.p?id=1055388028260&skuId=5590489&st=speaker stands&cp=1&lp=1

I will try these out... i hope they work !!!

Hey guys I know this is an old thread, but I'm new to Martin Logans and have a question regarding stand. I purchased a Sanus EFSATB stand for my Motion 4's up front. I couldn't really mount the speaker on the stand with the provided parts, however what I did is installed the platform (which seems to fit very nicely as far as the base size of the Motion 4's), put the adhesives as directed on the instruction and placed the speakers directly on the adhesive. So its not mounted at all, just sticking the bottom of the speaker to the platform.

What do you guys think? Is this ok? I tried moving it around and it seems to be holding it pretty solid. Any words of wisdom for me? Also, I researched that sticking it with adhesive is the best option as far as eliminating extra noise from sound vibrations.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sanus+-...e&utm_source=AskAndAnswer&utm_content=Default

Hey guys I know this is an old thread, but I'm new to Martin Logans and have a question regarding stand. I purchased a Sanus EFSATB stand for my Motion 4's up front. I couldn't really mount the speaker on the stand with the provided parts, however what I did is installed the platform (which seems to fit very nicely as far as the base size of the Motion 4's), put the adhesives as directed on the instruction and placed the speakers directly on the adhesive. So its not mounted at all, just sticking the bottom of the speaker to the platform.

What do you guys think? Is this ok? I tried moving it around and it seems to be holding it pretty solid. Any words of wisdom for me? Also, I researched that sticking it with adhesive is the best option as far as eliminating extra noise from sound vibrations.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sanus+-...e&utm_source=AskAndAnswer&utm_content=Default

Did the weight of the Motion 4s cause any problems? The Martin Logan literature indicates that the Motion 4s weigh 6 pounds. Whereas the Sanus literature indicates that those stands are only for speakers up to 4 pounds.

Also, I wonder how you oriented the speakers -- upright or sideways?

I'm considering purchasing the Motion 4s for rear surrounds and I am trying to figure out which stands I would use, so I very much appreciate your feedback.

Thank you!

Did the weight of the Motion 4s cause any problems? The Martin Logan literature indicates that the Motion 4s weigh 6 pounds. Whereas the Sanus literature indicates that those stands are only for speakers up to 4 pounds.

Also, I wonder how you oriented the speakers -- upright or sideways?

I'm considering purchasing the Motion 4s for rear surrounds and I am trying to figure out which stands I would use, so I very much appreciate your feedback.

Thank you!

The stands work perfectly so far the way I installed it as described in my previous post. I have the speakers installed vertically. Not sure it would be a good idea to place them horizontally....

The stands actually have a max load of 10lbs, not 4lbs (see link)

http://www.sanus.com/us/en/products/speaker-foundations/sp-euro/EFSat

My only problem with these is the fact that I had to install it by taping the bottom of speaker to platform. I wish there was a way to mount it but there isn't. The back of the speaker is awkwardly curved.

Also, feels like the pole height adjuster is made cheap. I feel like any second it will give-out and drop the inner pole, but hasn't happened yet.

Overall however I am much happier with it than I thought I would be initially. I'll give the stands a 7 or 8 out of 10. They do their job.

The stands actually have a max load of 10lbs, not 4lbs (see link)

You are correct; my mistake. I incorrectly responded to your post rather than MixinSammy's, in which he wrote:

Chess,

These particular stands are the Sanus HTB3 stands (not to be confused with the EFSat stands), which the Sanus literature indicates is for speakers that weigh up to 4 pounds. So, I guess my questions are really for MixinSammy instead:

1) Did the weight of the Motion 4s cause any problems? I'm particularly intrigued by the option of using the HTB3 stands since you indicated that the speakers just screw right into the back, whereas previous posters indicated that one couldn't actually do that with the EFSat stands).

2) How did you orient the speakers -- upright or sideways? I think I saw a photo online where the Motion 4s (or 2s) were mounted on stands sideways, though I may be remembering incorrectly.

Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks!

No problem! I actually bought the $55 stand that has a max load of 4 lbs and returned it right away. It just didn't feel right. I would not recommend those stands. The stickiness is not a big deal cause it will come of the plastic base of the speaker pretty easily. I recommend my set up more than the $55 stands.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

I spent several hours trying to mount the Motion 4s on the Sanus EFSat stands, to no avail. If you've been successful in doing this, could you please post a close-up photo showing how you managed to mount the Motion 4 speakers?

Much appreciated!

Thanks!

Last edited:
I'm not home as of now, when I do get home I will post a picture. However all I did was used the base plate that comes with the stand and then used the two sided sticky pads that also comes in the package. The speakers aren't really "mounted".

Sorry, my post was actually directed at folks like BMAC who seem to have successfully mounted the Motion 4s on similar Sanus stands. It turns out that the stand he used actually has the same mounting brackets as the EFSat stand that I have. I will send him a message in the hope of getting his attention.

Thank you!

If you get an answer can you post it here please. Is like to know if there's a way to actually mount them.

If you get an answer can you post it here please. Is like to know if there's a way to actually mount them.

Yeah, definitely! I sent a message to BMAC to find out how he mounted them, but unfortunately he hasn't been logged into the forum since April of last year, so I'm not very hopeful that I'll hear back from him anytime soon.

If anyone else has any ideas on how to mount the Motion 4s on stands, please share your insights with us. Thanks much!

Ever onward!

Of you are considering using the Sanus stands with your Motion 4's just use the flat mounting plate that comes with the stands and screw the speaker to the plate. If you don't want to put screws into them then use a 2 sided tape to stick the speakers to the plate.
I think screwing will be a better option. If you decide to sell the Motion 4's you're probably not going to a smaller speaker so the stands will probably not be needed and would most likely go with the speakers.

I'm happy to report that I finally figured out how to mount the Motion 4s on the Sanus EFSat stands! For details about this stand, see the following link:
Sanus EFSat Speaker Stands

The distinguishing and compelling features of this model are that it:
  1. Supports speakers that weigh up to 10 pounds,
  2. Adjusts up to 42 inches in height, and
  3. Utilizes a heavy tripod base with spikes

My breakthrough occurred when I realized that some of the other models of Sanus speaker stands (e.g. Home Theater Series, Accent Series) contain 3 additional mounting bracket parts:
Mounting Brackets.png

These parts allow you to use the Mounting Kit that is included with the Motion 4 speakers:
Martin Logan Mounting Kit.png

First, screw the additional L-shaped part vertically into the speaker stand using the 1/4" screw included with the EFSat model. Then insert the screw from the additional flat oval part into the top-most hole in the additional L-shaped part. Orient the oval part vertically and screw in the Mounting Kit cradle and Mounting Kit backing using a #8-32 x 1-1/4" machine screw for the bottom hole and a #8-32 x 1" machine screw for the upper hole. Tighten down the machine screws with nuts, and then screw the additional wheel nut part into the exposed screw from the additional flat oval part. Now, simply screw the Mounting Kit pin into the mounting hole on the back of the Motion 4, and hang the Motion 4 from the Mounting Kit cradle that is now attached to the speaker stand.

This is what the resulting speaker stand should look like:
Stand Photo 1.jpg

Stand Photo 2.jpg

This is how the speaker stand looks with the Motion 4 mounted:
Stand Photo 3.jpg

Voila! :rocker:

I like how you were able to mount them but is there a way to make the speaker straight and not tilted as shown in the picture????

Here's how mine looks with the base plate.

What's weird is I have the speakers about 36 inches off the ground and I woke up this morning and one of them was lowered to the bottom by itself. So I'm not so sure about the 10lbs load anymore. I've only had it 2 months and shouldn't be doing that
y4u5ujeg.jpg

Back