How Great is the Sanders Magtech?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it's great that even Necro Mom is in on the action!

Hi Bernard,

Yes it is very cool:D

She has a good ear as she was a dance teacher with her own business for 30 years and knows music, must be where necro-son got the talent.

She has been in my room more since i got the LSA than all the years before:D

What is a PIA is she takes the good seat!

She even bought me years back a ARC VT-100 as a birthday present, how many wives will do that?

The LSA won in the end between her and I.

Best Regards,
Bob

Yup! very cool indeed. So I got the Magtech home and did some critical listening today. Ill tell ya its going to be a hard decision. The Magtech does throw some awesome power and in your face sound with amazing bass control but the Carvers or Tube amps just have so much feel to them and that makes me very happy. I still felt some edgy sound to Magtech today even after being without it for a week, it is smooth though. OI! decisions decisons......

I just wish you could hear that Carver with EAT tubes that didn't cost a small fortune.

From what you've been saying I think you heart lies with the Carver, but your mind with the Magtech! Tough choice, but I always think tube amps are more fun. And you can tweak 'em and they look cool.

Tough dilemna:)

Yup! very cool indeed. So I got the Magtech home and did some critical listening today. Ill tell ya its going to be a hard decision. The Magtech does throw some awesome power and in your face sound with amazing bass control but the Carvers or Tube amps just have so much feel to them and that makes me very happy. I still felt some edgy sound to Magtech today even after being without it for a week, it is smooth though. OI! decisions decisons......

Simple,
Use the Magtech for a week at least by itself and then go back to the Carver playing many types of music.
Then go back to the Carvers and see what happens in your tastes.

I did that and ended up with the LSA.

Not just my opinion.

I agree with 211 on the Carvers.

Necro-dad and mom.

The Magtech is doing a great job powering my hard to drive ESL's.....

front.jpg

Big things have changed on my front, if anyone is interested Ill hand you the Magtech for $4k Shipped in the USA only. 3 months old and awesome. had to make choices. Big House renovations and brand new 2012 Mustang have made these choices for me.

Would the magtech be good for my regular box speakers?

How is the sound? I have heard so many words to describe it.

Thin
Threadbare
Sterile

Also have heard

Perfect
Amazing
Tight
Soul.

I know everyone's ears are different, but am curious, as my speakers are not ML's
Used to own a pair, were stolen many years ago. Just now getting back to circulation with my audio roots.

Picked up a pair of Energy RC-70's. Before you say their garbage' or firewood, I auditioned many many speakers, and with only 1 exception (Dynaudio) I didn't like any of them, except the RC-70's I don't like bright, can't listen for long, and as I like to listen for quite long sessions with Bushmills, I love the warmer sound. They are perfect for (MY EARS) and the best speaker I have heard in many years.

Help please. Thoughts on the magtech......
You can make the Energy's sing for a helluva lot less $$$ than a Magtech costs. And, if I had several $K burning a hole in my pocket, I'd spend it on better speakers before any amplifier I can think of.

I've owned the Sanders ESL amp and it is terrific, but bang for buck-wise, it's just not the best expenditure of your money.

^^ Good to hear the offer is still being honored, Roger is a great guy.

I've been so enjoying my Sanders ESL amp, as it can drive the huge Monolith III panels directly (no crossovers, only the step-up transformer) with great authority and accuracy. Most other amps fold-over and die if asked to do that.

Would the magtech be good for my regular box speakers?

How is the sound? I have heard so many words to describe it..

I bought a Magtech when my Expression 13As arrived. It's a great amp with low efficiency speakers, but you have to bear in mind that high efficiency speakers will bring out the "noise" that Magtechs produce.

My other speakers are 101dB Avantgarde Unos and I tried the Magtech with these. Daft really as Unos are happy with 4 or 5 watts, rather than 400 or 500! However, the sound was nice but there was a lot of noise. Unless you need this power and if your box speakers are reasonably efficient, I'd suggest there are lots of more suitable amps around.

I have several amps at present and top of my list is the NAD Master Series M32 amplifier. It sounds better than the Magtech on reasonably efficient speakers and also includes analogue and digital preamp and even streaming with the addition of an inexpensive plug-in card. And it's a sensible price.

I don't know about Roger, Josh is the guy who has to be dealt with. Super nice wonderful friendly guy. But don't fall into trap, still he is a sales guy. I quickly realized after I got it. My mistake and went back to being official. But Magtech amp is a genuinely magnificent and I am completely satisfied with it. It overpowered my expectation.

Latest posts

Back