Upgraded Power Cables

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Throwing in my 2 cents..

Agree with Gordon and the like - cables can make a difference in sound. The notion that - if you want/expect to hear an audible benefit you will is ridiculous IMO. I've tested multiple PCs and in some cases did, some did not hear any difference/benefit. Of course in all cases, I wished there would be a HUGE benefit. Believing in this philosophy - we should all run out and buy the cheapest yet best marketed PCs, pray and hope for audio bliss and - presto! no need to spend a single dime more for better PCs. Yea, that's it....

BTW - I recently purchased Shunyata Viper IIIs for my ASL Hurricane mono blocks, which previously had Audioquest NRG-2 PCs. I moved the Audioquest PCs to the ML Summits (had stock PCs on them originally) and I expected to hear no major difference, but maybe some change. I was quite surprised at the better imaging and slightly tighter and better controlled bass. I've made changes with other PCs but never heard a benefit such as this. I guess I wished really hard for it to sound better and it did! Now its time for me to put my tooth under my pillow for the tooth fairy! Not everything that can't be measured is snake oil. Trust your ears and happy listening!

I need cat proof - chew proof power cords for my Aerius speakers.

ml1bite.jpg

None of the chew marks seem to have punctured though to the encased wires, but there is no way this will stand like it is for long. I just don't trust it so they are unplugged for now.

Maybe I should put a coilex wrapper (corrugated cable protection - flexible wire conduit) on the new cord.

http://www.directindustry.com/industrial-manufacturer/coupler-64838-_40.html
quick-fitting-conduits-for-electric-cable-protection-14029-2588815.jpg

I might be interested in a reasonably priced alternative to stock power cords.

Links?

Brand names?

Oh yea, does anybody want a cat?:cool:

They did a REAL A-B blind test, and the people who claimed they could hear a difference didn't.

I believe this blind test says it all.

People that hear a difference probably have cheap factory cables, considerably different gauges or corroded/defective cables to begin with and changing cables simply fixed a pre existing issue.

Starting to get tired of "trust your ears" phrase when people can't even be trusted to know if what they are hearing is actually good, distortion as previously mentioned or just different

Similiar to how people put an exahust on their car and claim their butt dyno can feel a difference, but put it on an actual dyno and show a slight horsepower drop.

I trust scientific measuring instruments otherwise I'd just be trusting my ears so I can justify my habitual spending problem

Last edited:
I have a few dedicated circuits which I used 12AWG wires from the breaker panel to the receptacle. Does it make any difference in audio quality whether I use a 10AWG or 12AWG from the receptacle to my amps, since my circuits are 20Amp with a 12AWG Romex? The amp came with 14AWG stock power cord (Anthem P5).

Last edited:
Thank you.

I'd like to try Venom3 (Shunyata) on the Anthem and Summit-X but I wasn't sure if 12AWG would do it (Venom3 is 12AWG). I'll go ahead and purchase the cords.

If I read the specs. correctly, the Anthem P5 has two AC cords and two AC input supplies. If so this is a perfect place for a 3 wire 240 Volt run (MWBC) Multi-Wire Branch Circuit. Black 120V, White - Neutral, Red 120V. The two Neutral currents just about cancel out and gives you in effect a run that's only one half as long.

Speed,
I'm a novice in this matter. my circuits are 120V/20Amp. the distance between the amp and the receptacle is less than 1.5 meter.

What power cords would you suggest me to get?

I use JPS Aluminata power chords for my CLXs and previously for Quests and SL3's. Work greatly.

I use JPS Aluminata power chords for my CLXs and previously for Quests and SL3's. Work greatly.

$3600,00.00 per chord????

You may find it necessary to spend that much money for a power chord. But in my case, since I have eight dedicated circuits (12 AWG cryo treated with Maestro receptacles), I do not see how and why would I gain anything by spending that much money for ONE power chord.

The whole purpose of making such dedicated circuits was to be able to use cheap but good power chords (like Venom3 which is $100.00 per chord) for my AV system.

Last edited:
$3600,00.00 per chord????

You may find it necessary to spend that much money for a power chord. But in my case, since I have eight dedicated circuits (12 AWG cryo treated with Maestro receptacles), I do not see how and why would I gain anything by spending that much money for ONE power chord.

The whole purpose of making such dedicated circuits was to be able to use cheap but good power chords (like Venom3 which is $100.00 per chord) for my AV system.

Yes I think your solution is much saner than the one I applied. Living in an apartment limited my choices.

Any power cord solution for electrostatics with DC adapters? Electromotion and I think the Theos also?

Back