Custom Search
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Upgraded Power Cables

Default Upgraded Power Cables

I would like to find out if replacing the power cords on my vistas will make a difference. I am looking at power cords from "pangea". Any input would be appriciated.

Quote Originally Posted by phuture View Post
    I would like to find out if replacing the power cords on my vistas will make a difference. I am looking at power cords from "pangea". Any input would be appriciated.
    Dont know about the Panegas but I replaced mine with a Monster p/c very heavy multi strand sheilded cable & alot changed on the stat....
    Billybeek

Martin Logan,Magnepan, Squeezebox Touch,Magnum Dynalab,SVS,Proceed,Bel Canto,Jolida,Bryston,Stax,Grado,Sennheiser,Audio Technica,Benchmark & others in the closets somewhere

My take on it, with my Summits, is that upgraded power cords did make an audible improvement. I went with Signal Cable.
    Rich

This comment is intended solely for educational purposes and should not be construed as conveying any express or implied warranty of fitness for any other purpose. Said comment constitutes merely the humble opinion of its maker and does not reflect the views of the MLOC or of ML, Ltd. YMMV. Trust your own ears.

i think you should contact martin logan first and ask there opinion when i asked them they had a good answer. you might to try one first and see. you might be suprised on what you hear or don't hear. good luck

Quote Originally Posted by khenegar View Post
    i think you should contact martin logan first and ask there opinion when i asked them they had a good answer. you might to try one first and see. you might be suprised on what you hear or don't hear. good luck
    I think if you get one with the same spec as the stock unit you wont hear any changes, espicially some 14 Ga. generic cable.
    Billybeek

Martin Logan,Magnepan, Squeezebox Touch,Magnum Dynalab,SVS,Proceed,Bel Canto,Jolida,Bryston,Stax,Grado,Sennheiser,Audio Technica,Benchmark & others in the closets somewhere

I also have Signal Cable Power Cables on my CLSIIA's. They made a nice improvement.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by beek View Post
    I think if you get one with the same spec as the stock unit you wont hear any changes, espicially some 14 Ga. generic cable.
    It would be great if we can post the construction.configuration, ga. the the cables (if known) we use so the picture is clearer for comparsion.

I know I'm crazy................
    Billybeek

If you believe that power cables improve the sound, chances are you will hear improvements.

Conversely, if you don't, you won't.

That's me. I believe I still understand enough of the physics involved, and cannot come up with anything that would explain how a power cord could make a difference at all.

I do use aftermarket power cords, though (Signal, Zebra and a non-US brand). They look nicer, and their extra stiffness prevents cable spaghetti.

That's good enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    My take on it, with my Summits, is that upgraded power cords did make an audible improvement. I went with Signal Cable.
    This was my experience also w/Summits & Signal Cable.

It would probably be to get theirs
    Billybeek

Quote Originally Posted by ralflar View Post
    If you believe that power cables improve the sound, chances are you will hear improvements.

Conversely, if you don't, you won't.

That's me. I believe I still understand enough of the physics involved, and cannot come up with anything that would explain how a power cord could make a difference at all.

I do use aftermarket power cords, though (Signal, Zebra and a non-US brand). They look nicer, and their extra stiffness prevents cable spaghetti.

That's good enough for me.
    Hi,That's great that you don't believe power cords don't make a difference.

I did not think so either after 35 years until my friend brought over some really good quality PC's and that changed my mind.
    I did not go in thinking there would be any difference but was quite surprised.

Best,
    Bob
    Prodigy> AMR-77.1 modded by Avatar Acoustics> LSA Statement with extras> ASI Liveline Interconnects and speaker cables.

Ahhhhhhhhhh..... the never ending 'wire debate', it's always worth a laugh now and then.

Beyond well engineered, both in materials and condtruction, wire / cable tweaking should be a consideration later in the game. I laugh when I see and read descriptions of systems that are lacking in so many more important areas only to hear the owner talk of spending 'stupid money' on wires. Odds are that individual will never 'get it' !
    Dave

System #79 - Analog is Alive and Well, if in doubt, click the link below !

Click Here to see my System

Thanks to everyone who responded. I know this is always a debate to go either way. I will keep everyone posted as to which way i went. Thanks always

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but can someone explain to me, how in the world its possible to improve the sound with a great power cable when the wires in the wall are usually the cheapest cable the electrician found when he was building your house? They look always awful thin and are probably not 99.9999% pure copper if you ask me.

Greg

Like many, I do not understand the power cord issue and benefits as some tout. The power company is useing very low quality aluminum cable for transmission and in many cases connection to your structure. I believe the biggest power cord benefits are to be sure they are large guage - #12 for me - and I like to buy cables that are shielded to help reduce noise induced on other cables. Also the end connectors quality is important to have good wire connection and connection without corrosion issues to the equipment and receptacle. It is so difficult to get my power cables isolated from all the analog cables so the shielding is my biggest requirement.