SL3 Amplifier Suggestions

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scuba100

Reaction score
I just picked up a pair of SL3s and I am running them off a Sansui AU11000 and they sound great. I have a Aragon 8008bb in my home theater systems and I am thinking of using it to run my SL3s. I am reading good things about running SL3s off the 8008bb. I need to pick up a preamp and there is a Counter Point at the local Stereo Repair shop. Wanted to get comments on it?

I thing the aragon would probably pair up nicely with your SL-3's as for the pre I have no clue.

Hola, and yes, the Aragon likes a lot the SL-3s. You will be shocked by the quality of the bass coming out from those babies...and of course, the beloved traditional legendary sound of ML. To my ears, the SL-3s were the best ML product on the mid 90s. They were the affordable reference model. Happy listening!

Counterpoint made some excellent gear. I was a dealer for quite awhile and personally owned almost all of their preamps. Make sure it works. What model is it and how much are they asking?

The SL3's were one of my favorite Martin Logan models. Very nice indeed. The Aragon amp will work very well with them.

The Counterpoint is a SA1000 that has been gone through. They are asking $600 but are ready to deal, so I was thinking of offering $400. I think Bluebook is $480. I can use my Sansui integrated as a preamp too since it has preamp outputs, and I can disconnect the amp section from the signal path.

Scuba,

Ask for an in home audition hooked up with the Aragon and SL3's before purchasing. Then you will know for sure.

GG

When I purchased my SL3's I had been using the Aragon 2002 and their 24K preamp. It sounded good together but maybe a bit of warmth missing for my taste. I was surprised how easily the 2002 with only 50 watts drove the SL3's.

I pulled the 2002 out of storage a few years ago before I sold the SL3's and paired it with the Audio Research LS25 I was using at the time and it made a world of difference with the warmth of tubes. I also tried it with my CLS IIz's which can be hard for some amps to handle and it didn't seem to give it any problems in the short amount of listening I did.

I think you will be fine with the Aragon if it's in good condition. You may want to try a couple of different preamps to see how different they will sound.

Welcome to the Martin Logan Owners community.

The only ML loudspeaker i have owned are the ML CLS 1. Therefore i have no practical experience of using SL3 or other electrostat.

What i have experienced is the following. At a HiFi expo in Vienna, by far the best sounding system, comprised of ML SL3's driven by Audioplan transistor mono-blocks, Jadis tube pre-amplifier and Jadis high end CD player. I do not remember and therefore can not identify the loudspeaker cable and interconnects. However i am sure they were of carefully matched quality. With this expensive, high quality and carefully matched audio equipment i may have heard the true potential of first generation ML ESL's. The sound to my ears could be characterized as breezy and not just airy. I say this because i never before heard such airy and pure( free of distortion) sound. In addition, from the elecrostatic transducer effortlessly poured forth open, detailed and extended mids and highs. In my very limited experience this was the best i have heard from Martin Logan ESL's.

You might find it valuable if you write to tabascocat1994 ( MLO Forum: review amplifier) to get update on how his Summit X ESL's match with Wyred4Sound SX1000 MK2 mono-blocks and Rogue Audio pre-amplifier. Both products are manufactured with care in U.S.A. From the Titan Series,The Rogue Audio Metis pre-amplifier price is $1195 and Wyred4Sound price is $2500 (pair). The Metis preamplifier, in the last few issues of Stereophile magzine has if i remember correctly reviewed with a favorable conclusion. The Metis preamplifier has the following awards to its credit. The Absolute Sound " Budget component of the year,2005" ; Hi-Fi+ " Product of the Year"; Soundstage "Reviewers Choice Award" and "Exceptional Value Award".

To conclude, i do not know for certain how Wyred4Sound, Rogue Audio and ML SL3 system may sound like today. However, given advancements in technology ,i guess it may be just as good as the Audioplan, Jadis and ML SL3 system i heard approx. 15 years ago. Prices as far as the high-end are concerned are reasonable.

Last edited:
Well I have been playing around with a lot of equipment. I connected my Aragon 8008BB and new purchase Counterpoint SA1000 and there was an improvement over the Sansui. I think the Sansui is that good, so there was not a huge improvement. I then bi-amped and connected a pair of Jamo MP-201s bridged and I got an improvement in the bass. Good thing the Jamo's have a volume control, how do you do it without a volume on one of the bi-amp legs? Now I picked up a Dynaco ST70 that has been modded, and WOW. The big improvement is in the Mid highs. I want to try running the whole speaker on the Dynaco, but from what I am reading Solid state in the bass and tube in mids and highs is the way to go. I want to try the Aragon, but I have no way to balance the volume. I am now tube in my Dac, hybrid tube in my pre-amp and tube in my main amp. Going back in time and I love it.

I have to say this is the best system I have ever had. I love the tube sound, electric guitars sound like they are in my room. The bi-ampping <sp?> has the bass nice and deep. Everything sounds silky smooth (yep - cliche). CD or Vinyl I love listening to this.

I have added a ten pound weight to the back of the bass cabinet per a suggestion I read here. I plan to do the dynamat lining at some future date.

Last edited:
Scuba100,
Nice to hear that things are working out for you. You should put the Aragon 8008BB back in the mix, driving the bass. The difference will be quite noticeable! Recall that lower mids (lower male vocals) are hovering around the 270hz, which means that the Aragon will be called upon to reproduce this freq. range. Take a look at the Marchand XM46 passive line level crossover (with attenuation option) to route the correct signal to the appropriate amps. If you just want something simple, look at "attenuation" at Marchand.

Marchand XM46 Passive Line Level Xover

Good Luck,
Spike

Thanks every one for all the suggestions.

Spike thanks for the input, I am looking into that Marchand to control my Aragon. I remember when I first hooked up the amp to a pair of Cantons and the bass was out of this world. I just talked to the tech that worked on the Dynaco and he can make a box to attenuate the line levels.

Anyone have any experience with a Mitsubishi DA-A10DC? It has line level adjustments on it. It has that retro look that would be really cool next to the Dynaco.

I would stick with the Aragon 8008BB for the bass. It's that good!! If you can get an attenuation box made, that will also work. Just make sure that the tech uses high quality parts.

Good Luck,
Spike

I connected the Aragon and the bass is incredible! I had a line volume control on it, but have since taken it out and I like the balance between the two amps with out any line control. I guess the next step would be to try out a cross over between the Preamp and the two amps. I thought it would be overkill putting the Aragon on the bass portion, but it sounds soooo sweet.

Latest posts

Back