System #432 (Vantage, Cinema i)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Necrosuit

Reaction score
1. Member Name: Pete

2. Location: CT

3. ML Model(s): Vantage, Cinema i

4. Year Purchased: 2012

5. Associated Electronics: Marantz SR7005, Sony BDP-S360 BR, Pioneer Vierra 50" Plazma. Yamaha 10" Sub, cheapo surrounds (for now). Will be replaced with ML Script i.

6. Comments and/or stories about your Martin Logan experience:
Been around audio for many years. 3 years ago I decided to buid a nice 2 channel system and now have decided to build a 5.1 living room system with Martin Logan since I like the sound of the panel so much.

Attachments

• room view.jpg
    room view.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 2,632
Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice system. Consider the Motion 4 speakers for your surrounds. I heard them the other day - sensational.

Thanks! What about the Motion FX? heard those? I have been looking at all options.

Lookin' good Pete... quite the "second system"!

BTW, I have the very same A/C unit over my family room flat-screen :)

Thanks Todd. yea, Im really liking this setup and the Logans are making that difference. Just got the new Binding posts today and will be changing those this Weekend. ha! Those units work very well! I have one in the Bedroom as well, makes the house cold quick! cheers---Pete

Oh Also,
When I built the 5.1 I never asked the Wife and just did it with the Deuvel venus speakers. She never said anything about it. Well I sold the Venus and got the Vantage, took a day off and switched speakers and wiring etc. I figured she would be ****ed due to larger Speakers in the room. But when she got home she said, (and Im not kidding) "Wow, you got rid of those crappy looking speakers? I hated those" thats all she said! I asked well what about the new ones, she said "arent these like the ones in the other room?" I said sorta and her reply was, yea these look much better, win win win. Loving all that, never even had to ask, shes a natural Logan lover. hahaha

Necrosuit-

First, congrats on the setup. It looks really nice. I also use Vantages in my 2 channel setup and love the sound. One thing I noticed is that the sound of the vantages really improves when I take them off my wall. I have a dedicated home theater so placement is not an issue. I actually have them about 5 feet off the wall as I feel they "really come alive." I noticed that you have windows right behind the panels. Are you having any sound issues being so close to the wall? I put a bunch of sound proofing up to dampen the reflections and have found this to be helpful.

Also, it looks like the speakers are completely perpendicular to the wall. I can't tell where exactly your sitting position is but I just wanted to make sure you know about the the recommended "toe in" position. You can do the "flashlight" test where you shine the flashlight onto the speaker from your sitting position, the reflection should be about 1/3 on the inside. That tells you the optimal orientation.

Last, may I ask where in CT do you live. I grew up in Fairfield, CT and went to school near Hartford after college. :)

102326.jpg

Necrosuit-

First, congrats on the setup. It looks really nice. I also use Vantages in my 2 channel setup and love the sound. One thing I noticed is that the sound of the vantages really improves when I take them off my wall. I have a dedicated home theater so placement is not an issue. I actually have them about 5 feet off the wall as I feel they "really come alive." I noticed that you have windows right behind the panels. Are you having any sound issues being so close to the wall? I put a bunch of sound proofing up to dampen the reflections and have found this to be helpful.

Also, it looks like the speakers are completely perpendicular to the wall. I can't tell where exactly your sitting position is but I just wanted to make sure you know about the the recommended "toe in" position. You can do the "flashlight" test where you shine the flashlight onto the speaker from your sitting position, the reflection should be about 1/3 on the inside. That tells you the optimal orientation.

Last, may I ask where in CT do you live. I grew up in Fairfield, CT and went to school near Hartford after college. :)

102326.jpg

Invenio, What a fantastic set up you have! Cant wait to get my bigger room (someday, soon I hope) And thanks!
I agree, the Logans love space, something both my room slack there of. My Living room has the width but not the depth. Speakers have to stay where they are. Ill be honest, the system sounds fantastic regardless of windows and distance from front wall. I am very happy with this setup. Its my main living room, so doing sound treatment and other goodies is not going to happen this time around.
I have them slightly toed in right now, I have been moving them daily to get a better feel and balance, right now they seem very balanced throughout the room.....so far...
Fairfield is where I got my first drum set 22 years ago. I live 2 miles on the west side of Hartford and work 2 miles on the east side. Very familiar with the Party times in Hartford! you?

Invenio, What a fantastic set up you have! Cant wait to get my bigger room (someday, soon I hope) And thanks!
I agree, the Logans love space, something both my room slack there of. My Living room has the width but not the depth. Speakers have to stay where they are. Ill be honest, the system sounds fantastic regardless of windows and distance from front wall. I am very happy with this setup. Its my main living room, so doing sound treatment and other goodies is not going to happen this time around.
I have them slightly toed in right now, I have been moving them daily to get a better feel and balance, right now they seem very balanced throughout the room.....so far...
Fairfield is where I got my first drum set 22 years ago. I live 2 miles on the west side of Hartford and work 2 miles on the east side. Very familiar with the Party times in Hartford! you?

Sounds like you have done a lot to "tweak" the sound already. As you say, the Vantages do sound "fantastic." Ultimately, I think moving them around is just going to get you "higher degrees of fantastic"! Also, sometimes even living spaces can have "natural" sound treatments. For example, carpeting, big pieces of soft furniture like couches, and even wall art can substantially influence the sound. For example, just by looking at the picture you posted, the large footrest/centerpiece is essentially a big sound dampener. It's probably absorbing a lot of the nasty reflection off the floor.

I used to have my setup in living room and can appreciate the "aesthetic" need for speaker and equipment placement. I built my home theater room about a year ago so that is why I have the luxury of putting things where I want. Nonetheless, I am always finding little enhancements that improve the sound.

When I was going to graduate school I lived in West Hartford for a couple of years. I live in Southern New Hampshire as I work in the area.

Thanks Invenio, do you know places that have sound treatment that can be printed on or have print done to them? I would like to have some treatment behind my head on the couch but we have horror film framed posters everywhere and that NEEDS to stay! We have a horror themed house. So If I can find audio traps with horror themes, well! damn!---Pete

Thanks Invenio, do you know places that have sound treatment that can be printed on or have print done to them? I would like to have some treatment behind my head on the couch but we have horror film framed posters everywhere and that NEEDS to stay! We have a horror themed house. So If I can find audio traps with horror themes, well! damn!---Pete

That's a tall order! :) I am not aware of any particular "horror themed" sound treatments. Posters that are framed and have glass/plastic covering will reflect the sound much like a wall so that will be difficult. I don't know if you may be able to find a "horror themed" tapestry or something like that to put on the wall?

Yea, I emailed real traps. I will be buying some of their traps soon and was hoping they can print on them, but they dont even know of anyone either. Hey on another note, in my setup where is the best place for the center channel? Right now its about 5" further back then the Vantage. Should they all be even or is the center better served further behind the fronts? do tell.

Yea, I emailed real traps. I will be buying some of their traps soon and was hoping they can print on them, but they dont even know of anyone either. Hey on another note, in my setup where is the best place for the center channel? Right now its about 5" further back then the Vantage. Should they all be even or is the center better served further behind the fronts? do tell.

Ideally for a home theater setup they should be approximately equidistant. I don't think 5" inches either way is going to make a substantial difference. I think the calibration on the receiver for speaker volume and distance will have a much bigger effect. Run your calibration and then fine tune with your ear.

Necrosuit, I purchased the FX2 surrounds to match with my Theos mains. These are rather expensive, but well built. I've had them playing for a few days now. The sound quality is very good - sounding way better than they look. There's some good engineering going on with these speakers.

Have you sold your CLX's? If so, how do you find the Vantages now that they are your sole music/movie system?

Back