Martin Logan FX or FX2 surrounds

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khenegar

Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience with the FX surrounds, what did you think on the sound matching with the other ML ESL's?

ML/FX-FX2 surrounds

i cannot beleive that no one has not heard or tried the matin logan FX or FX2 surrounds, not anyone?

I have heard the fx a long time ago in a demo room and they sounded really good for surrounds. You really do get a great sense of ambiance and spaciousness as sounds really envelope you. I love the way you cant pinpoint these speakers making them the perfect surround. I thought the bass was great and the highs really sparkle so you can only imagine how good them fx2's will sound with bigger cone and the 2 folded motion tweeters that are double the size of the fx. I say that if you have the matching speakers in the series you would be insane not to include a set if your serious about HT

projectormovielover: thank your for your opinion on the FX's my system is the summits front with the sl3's rear, stage center. do you feel the fx's would work good with these speakers?

Well its really hard to say but when I heard them they were the only surround used in the system and they sounded good with vantage, motif up front. You on the other hand have sl3 so it may sound off if used on the rear so your going to have a big diff back there in the surround sound department . You could buy 2 matinee surrounds on the used market if space is an issue for about $200 more than a new pair of fx's or buy some script to match that full electrostatic sonic signature you have now. You could also sell the SL3 and opt for for some folded motion bookshelf to run as sides to balance out the surround sound for running fx/fx2

It all really depends on how picky you are ? You should go to bestbuy and take a pair home from the magnolia department (where I got a demo) and if you dont like them just bring them back in under the 30 days.

hey guys,
I am also looking at the FX and EFX for my sides. Been reading a bunch on em. Decisions.....

projectormovielover, i have scripts and had them on the sides of my room size 11'4" wide 23' long 8' high they were right on top of you mounted 20" off the floor on stands, this is why i am interested in the fx's di-poles because of space. i could possible mount them higher but how high? they would not look good mounted way up on the wall, my room is a family room audio/video duties. they are just to big. right now i am using the Optimus pro-lx5's for side surrounds mounted near the ceiling. thanks

I saw that your selling the sl3 so will you be keeping the script or moving them to surround duty?

If I sell the sl3's and the scripts I will be looking into using dipoles for the sides and rears mounted high and out of the way, hopefully I will sell them.

projectormovielover, i have scripts and had them on the sides of my room size 11'4" wide 23' long 8' high they were right on top of you mounted 20" off the floor on stands, this is why i am interested in the fx's di-poles because of space. i could possible mount them higher but how high? they would not look good mounted way up on the wall, my room is a family room audio/video duties. they are just to big. right now i am using the Optimus pro-lx5's for side surrounds mounted near the ceiling. thanks

The FX aren't dipoles. Just FYI.

The FX aren't dipoles. Just FYI.

The fx are not true dipole but they are not bipole. The dual folded motion tweeters have a wide dispersion pattern because they are facing opposite direction. The diffraction is identical to dipole's as it fills the room in the same way only the woofer if facing front. The effect from them was the same as a pair of polk fxi that only had the one woofer and 2 tweeters

I think if you add fx's you should have them up back instead of side surrounds. I found that having regular bipole speakers for the sides gave me the best effect in an action movie etc..

projectormovielover thanks for the information: i was wrong i thought the fx's were dipole. any suggestion on a good inexpensive dipole speaker? what is you opinon on using direct firing for the rear and dipoles for the sides?

Back