Alternative audio websites

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just saw the "What's on your wrist" thread over there... for the love of God. While I'm thoroughly enjoying the classical music thread, some of the other AA threads are effing ridiculous. How many Rolexes can (should) one person own? Definitely tends toward an uber-yacht-club feel over there at times (or what I imagine it to be anyway since I don't own an uber-yacht). The world only needs so many Thurston Howell the Thirds. That said, it is fascinating to watch the trillionaire over there begin assembling yet another new system (I think he's going with Burmester in his bonus room). Hey, to each his own :)

I bet they own the Morphosis $204k iPad controlled watch cabinet.

hublot_doettling_morphosis_watch_cabinet_ofrj9.jpg

http://www.bornrich.com/ipad-controlled-hublot-morphosis-safe-doettling.html

:rolleyes:

I took a quick look at the AA website, and it seems like most of the space there is taken up by the owner's signature. I hate to scroll unnecessarily through page after page of the same stuff. Why does he not just put a link to it, or is it in keeping with the conspicuous consumption policy ?

I totally agree Bernard, I do 'be-bop' around on some of the off-topic discussion from time to time and there are alot of, shall we say, more down to earth participants, regardless all sites have the 'clicks' ..........as I'm sure many feel that we do as well.

BTW Todd, Ivan is buying the Sonus Faber Aida speaker for his Burmeister electronics. List $115K.

I once owned the SF Amati Homage and held on to them for only a few months. No where near the magic of MLs. Not even close to the CLX. That said, you could pick up 10 pairs of Homage for what one pair of Aidas would set you back (way back). Not that I haven't heard wonderful sounding SF based systems. But for a balls-to-the-wall system like Ivan's, I think there are far more interesting transducer options in the 6 figure realm to consider. That said, perhaps the Aida is transcendent and I know not of what I speak. (which is most often the case).

Hi Rep,

I totally agree regarding your CJ comment.

Since my next big upgrade will likely be the purchase of a used ET5 pre, I found the "tube" discussion to be very informative.

Gordon you will love the ET-5 having escalated from a Premier17 to a CT-5 I would have to say the jump to the ET-5 is really quite substantial I think you will be most pleased.

Thanks for the input Rep.

Unfortunately, it's a ways down the road.

Gordon

Last edited:
FWIW, here's an update on the AA section entitled Time Pieces / Watch Collectors.

Yes, there is a specific section on their homepage dealing with this topic.

Total threads / 51. Total posts / 1036 to date.

I checked out some of the wrist watches worn by these errrrrr folks. Found one at $36K. Gotta love it.

One poster posted "yumm". That was all that was written. He was banned.

Do check out the "What's Best Forum". Lots of common folks and others that are more fortunate but act in, shall I say, a more appropriate / modest manner. Kinda like the MLC site.

I'm done.

GG

PS: The thread "What's on your wrist today" has, to date, 364 posts or 35% of the total posts.

Last edited:
What makes have $15-25k speakers like many here any different from having $15-25k watches? I haven't browsed the forum, but I don't understand the resentment when most of our spending could be considered wasteful and elitist by not just many people, but rather most people.

I certainly don't have money like a lot of people, but that doesn't mean that I think people shouldn't post pictures of watches or stereos I can't afford. I like seeing those threads, actually.

Last edited:
Hocky,

Here's my take to answer your question.

Flaunting the fact in public, that they are wealthy and, as a result, possess the material goods.

What's the purpose other than a statement that they can afford such luxury and strengthens their myopic self worth as a person. From my perspective, it's all about self absorption and conspicuous consumption.

I'm certainly open to other explanations.

GG

Hocky,

Here's my take to answer your question.

Flaunting the fact in public, that they are wealthy and, as a result, possess the material goods.

What's the purpose other than a statement that they can afford such luxury and strengthens their myopic self worth as a person. From my perspective, it's all about self absorption and conspicuous consumption.

I'm certainly open to other explanations.

GG

You have a link in your signature with your (fairly expensive) system in it. What's the difference? If they're doing it in threads/boards that are in no way related to the things they're posting, I agree with you. But being that it is an audio site with like discussions, I don't see it as being inappropriate.

I am a car guy much more so than an audio guy and there is nothing that I enjoy more on the message boards than seeing guys doing $500k-1m builds. I can't afford it, they're definitely showing it off (otherwise it wouldn't be on the internet at all), but I can definitely appreciate it and I am glad that they're displaying it.

You have a link in your signature with your (fairly expensive) system in it. What's the difference? If they're doing it in threads/boards that are in no way related to the things they're posting, I agree with you. But being that it is an audio site with like discussions, I don't see it as being inappropriate.

I am a car guy much more so than an audio guy and there is nothing that I enjoy more on the message boards than seeing guys doing $500k-1m builds. I can't afford it, they're definitely showing it off (otherwise it wouldn't be on the internet at all), but I can definitely appreciate it and I am glad that they're displaying it.

+1. I agree.

Hocky,

I list my system details to provide others with some reference on my observations. I'm not bragging and I've been working on my system for some 30 years. All of it was purchased used.

If I, or say tsv-1, or Roberto, or JonFo, or Rich, or babydoc, or slowgeezer, or mitt, or twitch or Justin or repman or the many others who make a comment about something pertaining to music and playback systems they've experienced versus another individual that has no background and / or personal experience, the personal system info allows anyone to judge credence / legitimacy to those comments and weigh accordingly.

Please tell me what this has to do with folks broadcasting ownership of $35K watches and its relevance to an audio website other than elitist bravado and self indulgence.

As you said, it's all in the way it is stated and within what context.

Gordon

Last edited:
Hocky,

I list my system details to provide others with some reference on my observations. I'm not bragging and I've been working on my system for some 30 years. All of it was purchased used.

If I, or say tsv-1, or Roberto, or JonFo, or Rich, or babydoc, or slowgeezer, or mitt, or twitch or Justin or repman or the many others who make a comment about something pertaining to music and playback systems they've experienced versus another individual that has no background and / or personal experience, the personal system info allows anyone to judge credence / legitimacy to those comments and weigh accordingly.

Not me. According to my system post, there is no legitimacy to any of my comments. ;)

Hocky, my take on it is this: Do these guys post comments about how well these watches perform? Do they talk about how much more accurate one is than the other? Discuss the performance characteristics of the different brands? Or discuss how to repair them, what to look for in shopping for one that best suits the users needs, etc.? Or do they just post "look what I got" threads showing off how expensive their watch is, or their collection of watches is? It is one thing to be engaged in a serious hobby and have a lot of money to spend on it and to post in threads regarding the hobby. It is another thing to just collect pretty trinkets and then post about it for your own vanity. Even in this forum we had a thread about nice watches when JoeyV was thinking about getting one, and there was a lot of interesting discussion about them. But there wasn't anyone posting just to show off that they had the most expensive watch or the greatest number of expensive watches.

None of this makes their forum any less valid, and if you like it that is fine. But it is just not that interesting to people like Gordon, or for that matter, myself, and we tend to be put off by the pretentiousness of it all. But then again, I haven't worn a watch on my wrist in over ten years nor ever spent more than a hundred bucks on one.

This is all subjective and different strokes for different folks but this is the way I see it. I can understand spending money on audio or cars compared to watches. Audio gear and automobiles perform a function and sometimes the more you spend there's increased performance. A watch is guy bling these days. Most modern watches are pretty accurate so having a $36k watch (or multiple expensive watches) is just giving yourself a pat on the back that you're not a 99%er.

Last edited:
Hocky, my take on it is this: Do these guys post comments about how well these watches perform? Do they talk about how much more accurate one is than the other? Discuss the performance characteristics of the different brands? Or discuss how to repair them, what to look for in shopping for one that best suits the users needs, etc.? Or do they just post "look what I got" threads showing off how expensive their watch is, or their collection of watches is? It is one thing to be engaged in a serious hobby and have a lot of money to spend on it and to post in threads regarding the hobby. It is another thing to just collect pretty trinkets and then post about it for your own vanity. Even in this forum we had a thread about nice watches when JoeyV was thinking about getting one, and there was a lot of interesting discussion about them. But there wasn't anyone posting just to show off hat they had the most expensive watch or the greatest number of expensive watches..

I would say that many who have money for expensive stereos also have money for nice watches. There is no need to discuss their performance because realistically, they all perform poorly compared to their $20 walmart counterpart. They're just jewelery. lol. But that doesn't change the fact that it is a like interest among many and it is fun to share with each other what you have. Now, if someone posts a thread about their new $2000 pair of speakers and someone comes in and posts a picture of their $30k watch just because then I would say it was inappropriate.

Check out my Russian watch, complete with button photo of Yuri Gagarin! He was the first human to journey into outer space! $2 at any vendor in Moscow.

Monday-1-01-08-M.jpg

Actually, over the years, I've posted to this site, pictures of my car, swimming pool, house, audio gear and other stuff, without regard to how much they cost, as that never really entered into it for me. It was just the pride of ownership and the willingness to share among compatriots. Looking back, these posts could have been considered to be bragging to those less fortunate. That was not my intent, nor do I think most of the people posting on AA have that intent when they post pictures of their acquisitions. I believe it is simple pride of ownership. Yes, their toys may cost more than our toys, but it's all relative. A young person may not be able to afford more than a few hundred dollars for a receiver, but has that same pride of ownership when he finally purchases it. Imagine what then goes through that person's mind when we say that to get the most out of Martin Logans, you need separates, as receivers simply will not do. We have probably driven some of them off to AudioKarma with those remarks!

I guess what I'm trying to say is that at what point does proudly sharing any acquisition reach your personal vulgarity limit?

Regarding AA, I have found is that information I have requested has been given freely and generously, just as it is here. Yes, I do think there are some very wealthy people over there, but I've found that they welcome you to the fold, regardless as to your equipment (wallet) status.

I find the "Whats Best" forum interesting. I post there on occasion, but am pretty much a newbie - I do tend to read a fair bit over there.

For me, this place is home though.

Sweet watch Steve.........is that fine corinthian leather ??

Steve,

I love your watch. Great find for $2.

Regarding posting one's stuff, I think Rich said it best. At least from my perspective.

Gordon

Steve sorry but you wasted a whole $2 because Yuri Gagarin never made it into space it was all a lie

Back