'Stat man since 1979

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alylea

Reaction score
Hi All,
New to the site but not to audio or electrostats. Spent the first part of my life (early - mid ‘70’s) in audio retail and manufacturing. Sold everything from Kenwood to Tandberg to SAE. Went to work for MicroAcoustics in their heyday and ended up as Asst. National Manager during the 3002 era.

My first real high end system was stacked Quads driven by a Bedini 25/25. The 25/25 was a CES show demo used in the Bedini suite and was sold to me by John Bedini. I’m guessing it was a “special” 25/25. Preamp was a Quad 34. If you know the Quad ESL’s they have no low end so the Sub was a custom designed box with KEF B139 woofer driven by a Kenwood LO-5 monoblock amp(Thanks Lowell). First turntable in the system was a Thorens TD-125 with the stock arm, replaced with a Magnapan Unitrac tone arm. The next turntable was a Kenwood LO-7d, sold to me by the Natl. Sls. Mgr. at Kenwood. It was an orphaned last piece in the NJ warehouse a year after they discontinued their ultra high-end product line. I paid $75 brand new in the box. :D Cartridges were MA 3002’s that were handpicked off the line by me and the engineers. Original speaker cables were Monster Powerline given to me by Noel at CES when they first came out. Second speaker cables were special not available to the public from Kenwood that were 100% O2 free super soft copper, 400 strand per leg, bundled and twisted in groups of 40 stands x 2 x 5 sets per leg. Real difficult to work with.

The first version of my current system was comprised of ML ReQuest’s, bought and shipped directly from ML, an Acurus ACT-3 preamp, the Bedini 25/25, my L0-7d (you didn’t think I would get rid of it?), MA3002 cartridge and the Kenwood speaker cable. The Bedini blew up and I purchased a CJ Sonographe 250 after speaking with ML and Tor @ CJ who I knew from Tandberg days. Next I replaced the ACT-3 with a CJ Sonographe SC26 in AAA condition that I stole off EBay for $225. I am still using my Kenwood speaker cables and everything is run through an APC H15.

Love my electrostats and have done so since 1979. Once you go ‘stats you’ll never go back…

Welcome, and I'm glad to know there is a future after all. Welcome.

Ah youngster (I'm guessing). The reference to 3002 was for the MA cartridge model #. The top of the line first series was at Micro was the 2002 and the next generation was the 3002, both named after BMW's. My bad for not making things clearer. Thanks for the chuckle though...

And I thought you just missed by a keystroke on the year! Silly me... Oh! and well met New Yorker!

A 50+ youngster!

Back