What music did you just buy?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
done and done...

61R%2BN6OWQJL._SS400_.jpg

Attachments

• 51gi7SaoLzL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    51gi7SaoLzL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 123
Todd, you learn something new everyday. I had never before heard of the term "Trio Sonata". How does it differ from a trio? Is it somewhat like a concertante, except without orchestra? Do you have Mozart's "Sinfonia Concertante"? A very nice piece of music.

Oh, are those trios so sinfully good that you have to beg forgiveness?

Do you still spin CD's, or are all of them on your Olive? I envy you the Olive as I imagine that you explore stuff that you had forgotten you have. Any plans to upgrade to the 06?

Todd, you learn something new everyday. I had never before heard of the term "Trio Sonata". How does it differ from a trio? Is it somewhat like a concertante, except without orchestra?

From the interwebs: A trio sonata is written for two solo melodic instruments and basso continuo, making three parts in all, hence the name trio sonata.

Do you have Mozart's "Sinfonia Concertante"? A very nice piece of music.

I own this Sony release but the SQ leaves a bit to be desired. Do you have any recommendations for excellent SQ and performance?

Oh, are those trios so sinfully good that you have to beg forgiveness?

It's too late. Damnation awaits.

Do you still spin CD's, or are all of them on your Olive?

It's funny you should ask. For a while there it was all-Olive all-the-time, but the source pendulum has swung back a bit and I find myself at about 50/50 now between the Olive and the oppo. This is because I've been putting more time in with SACDs lately and since the Oppo doesn't support DSD, my only option is to deal with the incredibly laborious torture involved with physically having to find-disc/load-disc/press-play. whew! I'm getting winded just thinking about it (though that could be last night's chili).

I envy you the Olive as I imagine that you explore stuff that you had forgotten you have. Any plans to upgrade to the 06?

The iPhone user interface for the Olive is so good that it has literally spoiled me. And yes, I was listening to some Meyerbeer the other day that, if it weren't for the Olive, I NEVER would have thought to select.

Do you have any plans to acquire a music server? (not sure if you have one?) - It will do strange and wonderful things to your listening habits - guaranteed.

NO plans to upgrade to the 06HD. I hate it's aesthetics. Hate. No, wait, it's more severe than hate. Loathing and disdain come to mind, but no, those don't really capture the deep seated revulsion either.... hmmmm.... I'm gonna go with toxic repugnancy. That's still not really capturing the true level of utter bitterness I feel toward that visual abomination, but it's literally staining my soul to give it any more thought.

That out of the way, the W4S DAC2 has arguably as good, if not better sonics anyway than the analog out of the (wretched) 06HD - so 04HD+DAC2 sings triumphant (for now).

:p

Last edited:
Cantique goosebumps... and then some!

BTW, the audience needs to be summarily executed for such an unimpassioned response. A standing ovation (on tip-toes) was the absolute minimum requirement after that incredible performance. Now to go see if I can find that CD.

I own this Sony release but the SQ leaves a bit to be desired. Do you have any recommendations for excellent SQ and performance?
I highly recommend the ASMIF/Marriner for performance, on an excellent LP.
Do you have any plans to acquire a music server? (not sure if you have one?) - It will do strange and wonderful things to your listening habits - guaranteed.
I don't have a music server. No plans to acquire one. I'll probably buy one about the time Justin gets room treatments !
NO plans to upgrade to the 06HD. I hate it's aesthetics. Hate. No, wait, it's more severe than hate. Loathing and disdain come to mind, but no, those don't really capture the deep seated revulsion either.... hmmmm.... I'm gonna go with toxic repugnancy. That's still not really capturing the true level of utter bitterness I feel toward that visual abomination, but it's literally staining my soul to give it any more thought.
Stop holding back Todd. Tell us what you REALLY think of it :)

Last edited:
Mozart Bach Vivaldi concertcos by the chamber Orchestra of Europe

Mozart Bach Vivaldi Concertos Schneider COE.jpg

I found this album in HDTracks and bought it as a blind buy. I have returned to this albulm daily as the play of the instruments in the Bach Concerto for Violin, Obo and Strings is a delight to listen to on the ML's.

Last edited:
View attachment 15307

I found this album in HDTracks and bought it as a blind buy. I have returned to this albulm daily as the play of the instruments in the Bach Concerto for Violin, Obo and Strings is a delight to listen to on the ML's.

Did you buy a hi-rez download of this album? If so, which rez? And what are you playing it back on? We'd be interested in hearing more about your system.

Cheers

Did you buy a hi-rez download of this album? If so, which rez? And what are you playing it back on? We'd be interested in hearing more about your system.

Cheers

Unfortunatly the only rezolution for this albulm is the 44.1kHz/16bit.

Thanks for the tip on the Cantique - I ordered the SACD and with luck I should have it by the end of the month.

I stream my downloads and ripped cd's from an Iomega Cloud throgh my Yamaha RXA-2000 to my office Zone 2 with powered KRK Rokit 5 for listening while I work. For a few minuets each day I power up the main system which is the ML Electromotion and it truly fills the house! My SACD player is the Oppo 83-SE.

For the more Baroque tolerant among us ;) I highly recommend this wonderful set of Boyce Symphonies. Just came in the mail today and it's spinning away as I type. Really very pleasant stuff IMO. Very good SQ and polished performances as expected from Mr. Pinnock and company.

61giXxFNhxL._SS500_.jpg

There was another spree last night... just doing my part contributing to help the economy :)

51cfiE3O77L._SS400_.jpg
510XbBaqulL._SS400_.jpg
51vanemsvjL._SS400_.jpg

Last edited:
Music for Mother's Day

Oh... and lest I forget, I just pre-ordered a few copies of this new Beegie Adair release from Amazon so I'll be "locked and loaded" for Mom's day on May 13th. (and no, locked and loaded doesn't mean locked out of the house because I'm too loaded to be allowed in... though there are vague memories that may be better served in another thread... or not ;))

I'm usually waaaay-last-minute, but came across this and figured "if I don't do it now, I'll put it off and most likely be sorry".

FTW :D

Cheers

cover.jpg

Bernard... in my seemingly endless attempts to find some Bach that might appeal to you, I just received this disc in the mail (pre-ordered it some time ago as it was just released today).

Some people may think "blasphemy" upon hearing re-orchestrated classics... I'm not one of those people. Variation is the spice of life ;) I'm enjoying this disc in a big way. FWIW.

Cheers

Last edited:
Todd, there is some Bach that I do like:

- the Air in G
- Ave Maria
- the famous Toccata and Fugue

I looked for the CD on Amazon, to listen to some samples; not there yet.

Re your recent purchases, did you buy them for the music or the pictures of the women?

Back