What music did you just buy?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bernard,

That's the amazing thing about music.

Todd seems to like Baroque music. That's great but I find it very boring.

When I hear Vivaldi's Four Seasons, Beethoven's 5th Sym., Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto, Rimsky Korsokov's Scheherazad, Berlioz's Symphony Fantastique etc., I run to my tuner and switch the channel. It's all great music but, in my opinion, so overplayed.

Kinda like Led Zepplins's Stairway to Heaven or Dire Straits MTV on the rock side of the aisle.

Maybe that's what motivates me to search out music that is new and different.

Gordon
Gordon,

I'm with you on Baroque (sorry,, Todd).

I agree and disagree on the warhorses. I once heard on a street corner two young musicians playing The Four Seasons. It didn't sound like an old hack; if anything it sounded fresh, if far from perfect. There is so much more to those composers than the warhorses. But, I still spin Ludwig's 5th under my Koetsu, and sometimes pull out the Carlos Kleiber version to compare it with von Karajan's.

I have a bigger aversion to the electric guitar than I do to the harpsichord, so rock never gets play time on my system.

But we digress. Sorry to hijack your thread, Todd.

Gordon,

I'm with you on Baroque (sorry,, Todd).

I agree and disagree on the warhorses. I once heard on a street corner two young musicians playing The Four Seasons. It didn't sound like an old hack; if anything it sounded fresh, if far from perfect. There is so much more to those composers than the warhorses. But, I still spin Ludwig's 5th under my Koetsu, and sometimes pull out the Carlos Kleiber version to compare it with von Karajan's.

I have a bigger aversion to the electric guitar than I do to the harpsichord, so rock never gets play time on my system.

But we digress. Sorry to hijack your thread, Todd.

My deepest condolences for your loss Bernard (i.e. Baroque) and yours as well Gordon (i.e. most things classical). :p

And my personal policy wrt thread digression/re-vectoring -> ANYTHING that stimulates exchanges of ideas, preferences, new information in a positive manner... ALL of it is more than welcome. The only thing I will actively fend off from any of "my" threads -> sour attitudes and disrespectful commentary.

On that note - I bid you all a glorious day filled with light, laughter, and beautiful music :)

Todd,

I trust you know my comment about baroque was not intended to be sour and / or disrespectful. It doesn't surprise me that my choices in music are not necessarily main stream but I'm fine with that. As we all know, music preference is very personal and what matters most is that people connect with the music, regardless of its type.

And I have a more than ample supply of more "typical" classical music. No need for condolences. I continue to expand my music library (mostly classical and jazz) on a weekly basis.

Who knows. Maybe one day I will take a liking to Baroque. I do enjoy it in a passive, background mode but not as a one on one dedicated experience.

Gordon

PS: I'm confident some CD's I listen to would not be considered by many folks.

Last edited:
My son is stepping in all kinds of dub these days. Not my first choice in song selection, but some of it is pretty fun to listen to at higher SPLs. I would imagine Justin could recommend a track or two as well :)

Dubstep hasn't landed on the shores of this mind yet, though I can kind of see why you might think I'd like it. Sampling some of Gordon's Ronin stuff now via Spotify on the 2nd system. Not the disk he recommended, though. These tracks are all called MODUL followed by a number. Seems well recorded so may meet the legendary electroplanenigmatics soon enough.:D

Anyway, I have bought precisely nothing for 2 months odd. Not much help here, then!:D

Oh - I did get an Usher "The Diamond Revolution" disk at the Bristol Hi-Fi show... but that was free.:)

Last edited:
OK... just went out to check the mailbox and amongst the nearly infinite flyers, credit card offers, junk catalogs, bills, real-estate brochures, and other wasteful tree-trimmings were hidden these little gems.

I'm gonna FLAC the hell out of these - all of them - tonight. :p

41QKaFN9EJL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
51EqrYJxLsL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
51bZJ3GULeL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
51XqMcEOfTL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Just ordered 3 disks from the MA label, if you never heard any of these recordings you owe yourself a favor & just buy one.
They should be here tomarrow these are usually small ensembles, one is Andalusian music from the 12th century.

Bill,

If you don't have their "Voices" CD, buy it. Absolutely stunning.

Gordon

Wow! ... the Amazon samples gave me goosebumps... I'm a little afraid of full-blown DSD via MLs... but not so afraid I didn't use Amazon Prime to get free two-day shipping :)

518vo9aO1FL._SS500_.jpg

Todd, one requiem I like is the Fauré. I once saw it described as, "It takes away the fire and brimstone from the Roman Catholic Church's Mass for the Dead". Very appropriate.

Have you heard Beethoven's Mass in C and his Missa Solemnis?

Todd, one requiem I like is the Fauré. I once saw it described as, "It takes away the fire and brimstone from the Roman Catholic Church's Mass for the Dead". Very appropriate.

Have you heard Beethoven's Mass in C and his Missa Solemnis?

Funny thing, while I'm not a huge fan of Fauré's requiem (perhaps a bit too tame for my requiem tastes), one of his works, Cantique de Jean Racine, is to this day one of the most beautiful compositions I've ever heard. I must own 5 different versions of it, but I think I prefer the John Rutter version that I linked to above.

And yes, I own both Ludwig's Mass and Missa - lovely works... though I think Mozart's Requiem still tickles my cochlea more than the others.

Funny thing, while I'm not a huge fan of Fauré's requiem (perhaps a bit too tame for my requiem tastes), one of his works, Cantique de Jean Racine, is to this day one of the most beautiful compositions I've ever heard. I must own 5 different versions of it, but I think I prefer the John Rutter version that I linked to above.
Todd, I guess you're a fire and brimstone kinda guy. I love Fauré's "Pie Jesu" from the Requiem; it has a very peaceful quality to it.

Have you heard Fauré's Pavane ? Very melodic. His "Après un Rêve" is also really nice.

Todd, I guess you're a fire and brimstone kinda guy. I love Fauré's "Pie Jesu" from the Requiem; it has a very peaceful quality to it.

Have you heard Fauré's Pavane ? Very melodic. His "Après un Rêve" is also really nice.

I was just listening to his Pavane yesterday. Have you heard the Cantique I mentioned?

TOSCA SUZUKI IN DUB LIMITED EDITION 4 VINYL SET

Cos I just found it on ebay after posting in the "What are you listening to right now?" thread. Basically contains remixes of the album tracks.

I was just listening to his Pavane yesterday. Have you heard the Cantique I mentioned?

I have the Cantique on Linn Records, but it's a long while since I last listened to it. I should put it on today. This is one thing I like about theses discussions - they make you rediscover your music library.

I have the Cantique on Linn Records, but it's a long while since I last listened to it. I should put it on today. This is one thing I like about theses discussions - they make you rediscover your music library.

+1 Over on AA someone had posted Brahm's Requiem. I looked through my library to find I owned an outstanding Robert Shaw SACD that I had completely forgotten about... been listening to it this morning. Wow... beautiful doesn't begin to describe it!

Todd, the Cantique is indeed beautiful, but I gravitate more towards the Pavane.

I have the Brahms by Von Karajan, but have not listened to it in ages; same with the Verdi, by Fritz Reiner. I kinda got away from Requiems a while ago; life is short enough as is. I prefer the peace of Gregorian Chant, especially when there are women's voices in the mix.

Todd, the Cantique is indeed beautiful, but I gravitate more towards the Pavane.

I have the Brahms by Von Karajan, but have not listened to it in ages; same with the Verdi, by Fritz Reiner. I kinda got away from Requiems a while ago; life is short enough as is. I prefer the peace of Gregorian Chant, especially when there are women's voices in the mix.

LOL... yes, life is too short to be spending too much time listening to death music. But when I do, I view those listening sessions as preparation ;)

went a little haywire today with a number of reviled (by some) Baroque selections. Please God, forgive me for my musical sins (and for the two more in the next post as well). :p

51lrTRnsk1L._SS500_.jpg
BIS-CD-1455.jpg
611VuQPCVDL._SS500_.jpg
51RW5xPBiCL._SS400_.jpg

Latest posts

Back