What music did you just buy?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsv_1

Reaction score
Format? (wax, mag-tape, aluminum, intangible, other)

Genre?

Title?

Inspiration for the purchase?

I'll kick it off...

I just bought this Vivaldi SACD. Was nosing around on another forum, saw someone praising it's glory, found and listened to some online samples, was very impressed, and it also contains some Vivaldi works I don't currently own... so... pulled the trigger.

51XqMcEOfTL._SS400_.jpg

I just downloaded Marta Gomez's "Canciones de Luna", a collection of lullabies. Inspiration for the purchase? I love her voice. It's MP3, but that's the only format in which it's available, and I'd rather have the music in a crappy format than not at all. I'm looking forward to listening to it.

For some reason Amazon.com only allows downloads if you're in the US. Fortunately CD Baby has no such restriction.

For some reason Amazon.com only allows downloads if you're in the US. Fortunately CD Baby has no such restriction.

That does seem odd that Amazon would limit their own potential sales like that. Can't be a law since I download from other countries (Linn) with no restrictions and you download from CD Baby which, presumably is based in the US. Maybe some sort of special agreement between Amazon and Amazon.ca?

37! Awesome. Is J&R not far from your place? Would be mighty tempting for me.

A 40min. ride on the E train to the WTC...its 1/4 the size it used to be but its still cool..:D

Attachments

• wtc8 Copy.jpg
    wtc8 Copy.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 218
Last edited:
Benjamin Grovsner various piano. CD

We heard him at the Kennedy center on Saturday . Very nice recital

Dianne Krall Girl in the other room SACD hybrid.

J

Leonard Cohen's Old Ideas... still a great poet and musician, but definitely an acquired taste!

61knAd9cNLL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

OK... I really HAVE to get off this infernal machine and go-to-bed. But before I do, here's the very, very latest purchase.

I wanted to buy the 192K download from Channel Classic's site, but a) they don't take paypal :( and b) everytime I've used a CC to buy music from overseas, my banks shut my cards down for fear of fraud. Don't need the hassle. Anyway, bought the SACD from Amazon for less than the 192K was going to cost (and you can't beat Amazon prime free shipping with a stick!)... so what the heck... saved a few clams and got me some DSD which was the original recording format for this release anyway :) This is some very special playing on very special instruments... and a very special recording.

-nighty night

51I7XUTlzpL._SS500_.jpg

Three that recently arrived...all vinyl re-releases

Roxy Music, 180 gr, 33rpm
Friday and Saturday Nights - Miles Davis In Person at the Blackhawk, from Impex
Ben Webster Meets Oscar Peterson, 45rpm

Last edited:
Just got Loreena Mckennitt's 'the wind that shakes the barley' and 'An Ancient Muse' from Amazon.ca.. will probably spin them on the weekend. Absolutely love 'The Book of Secrets' and has been one of my favorite CD's over the past few years. Though I'd add to the collection.

Picked up the soundtrack to Suckerpunch a few weeks back. Was totally enchanted and blown away by the SQ with I watched the blu-ray but the CD disappoints (relative to the BR). Wish all music came as hi-rez. Anyway, some of the songs are just hauntingly good.

Leonard Cohen's Old Ideas... still a great poet and musician, but definitely an acquired taste!

61knAd9cNLL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Now you're talking. Very impressive performer. Caught his live performance a little over a year ago as he was winding up his last tour. Just amazing! As he stated: "This all started a couple of years ago -- just a 73 year-old kid with a dream!" :D
Over two and a half hours, three encores, and he never once stumbled or dropped a line. Backed by world class musicians as well.

His Ten New Songs and More Best of are my two favorites. These have several memorable songs and terrific fidelity. His Boogie Street and By the River Dark from "Ten New Songs" are terrific recordings to demo a dedicated ML music system.

And get this: His That Don't Make it Junk from Ten New Songs begins with the line: "I fought against the bottle, but I had to do it drunk." So typical of his wry humor, yet all too insightful song-writing.

Live in London DVD closely tracks to the live performance we saw.

Preordered:
Jethro Tull's TAAB2, release date April 3rd.
Norah Jones's Little Broken Hearts, release date May 1st

Just got Loreena Mckennitt's 'the wind that shakes the barley' and 'An Ancient Muse' from Amazon.ca.. will probably spin them on the weekend. Absolutely love 'The Book of Secrets' and has been one of my favorite CD's over the past few years. Though I'd add to the collection.

Picked up the soundtrack to Suckerpunch a few weeks back. Was totally enchanted and blown away by the SQ with I watched the blu-ray but the CD disappoints (relative to the BR). Wish all music came as hi-rez. Anyway, some of the songs are just hauntingly good.

I'm a big LM fan too. Lovely atmospheric stuff with wonderfully exotic instrumentation. I've not listened to her in a while... will dig out and dust off some of her haunting goodness. Thanks for the memory recall :)

That does seem odd that Amazon would limit their own potential sales like that. Can't be a law since I download from other countries (Linn) with no restrictions and you download from CD Baby which, presumably is based in the US. Maybe some sort of special agreement between Amazon and Amazon.ca?
Hadn't thought of that, but this is the case even with stuff .ca does not have. Guess it's a general rule regardless.

I'm a big LM fan too. Lovely atmospheric stuff with wonderfully exotic instrumentation. I've not listened to her in a while... will dig out and dust off some of her haunting goodness. Thanks for the memory recall :)
Do you like Enya as well, since you like atmospheric music? My wife does, but I keep telling her that it's spooky music!

Pink Floyd The Wall Immersion Box set.

Attachments

• pinkfloydthewall.jpg
    pinkfloydthewall.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 378
Do you like Enya as well, since you like atmospheric music? My wife does, but I keep telling her that it's spooky music!

Not much of an Enya fan honestly. I do like just a few of her older songs, but rarely listen to her these days.

Back