What music did you just buy?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just received the CD Bloodline-"Bloodline". It was released back in 1994, but I had never heard of them. I've really gotten into Joe Bonamassa and this was his first band. He is actually billed as "Smokin' Joe Bonamassa" on this album and was only 17 or 18 years old. The other members of Bloodline are sons of Miles Davis, Berry Oakley, (Allman Brothers) and Robbie Kreiger, (The Doors). This CD mixes hard driving blues with killer southern rock-n-roll. They only did this one album. It has become one of my favorite albums of all time. It's kind of hard to find and it's pretty pricey used, but IMHO, well worth the search and price.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nb2-ZyF-kAs

Well Todd,

I've been on quite a roll over the past two weeks trying to stimulate the economy.

Music for a Time of War / Oregon Sym. / Kalmar / Pentatone SACD
Nik Bartsch's Ronin - Llyria / ECM (See description below)
Richard Strauss / Symphonia Domestica / Reiner / Living Stereo SACD
Dire Straits / On the Night and Live at the BBC
Prokofiev / Ivan the Terrible / Slatkin / MFSL SACD
Holland Baroque Society / Barbaric Beauty / Channel Classics SACD
Korngold / Sym. in F Sharp Major / Albrecht / Pentatone SACD
Casper Movie Soundtrack

If you like a weird but fascinating, in my mind, combination of jazz, techno, new age, and rock, try the Ronin disc. Tis a bit free form (may take several listens) but very engaging and has great sonics including some very impressive bass. Justin and others that like some "difficult to classify" music, could be up your alley.

Gordon

Well Todd,

I've been on quite a roll over the past two weeks trying to stimulate the economy.

Music for a Time of War / Oregon Sym. / Kalmar / Pentatone SACD
Nik Bartsch's Ronin - Llyria / ECM (See description below)
Richard Strauss / Symphonia Domestica / Reiner / Living Stereo SACD
Dire Straits / On the Night and Live at the BBC
Prokofiev / Ivan the Terrible / Slatkin / MFSL SACD
Holland Baroque Society / Barbaric Beauty / Channel Classics SACD
Korngold / Sym. in F Sharp Major / Albrecht / Pentatone SACD
Casper Movie Soundtrack

If you like a weird but fascinating, in my mind, combination of jazz, techno, new age, and rock, try the Ronin disc. Tis a bit free form (may take several listens) but very engaging and has great sonics including some very impressive bass. Justin and others that like some "difficult to classify" music, could be up your alley.

Gordon

And the economy thanks you for all that stimulation I'm sure. Some nice swag there... Channel and Pentatone are wonderful labels to say the very least. I'm gonna go check out Barbaric Beauty. Seems right up my ally :)

Of those that you listed, which is your fav and which is least fav? and why? (sorry, this sounds like a homework assignment... feel free to pretend you didn't read this ;))

Sorry Todd but (absent hearing Casper) they are all very good in their own unique way.

Not avoiding the question but that's the truth and the magic of music.

Seems that I am gravitating to the more unstructured / abstract vein as I grow older.

Gordon

Seems that I am gravitating to the more unstructured / abstract vein as I grow older.

Gordon
That's interesting, Gordon. I have never been able to listen to unstructured/abstract music, and atmospheric music drives me nuts (sorry Todd). I'm a great fan of Beethoven. What do you think of Messaien?

I once had an interesting discussion with a psychology student, who told me that he hates Beethoven's Ninth because it's so strong, and that he likes unstructured music as well as disorder in his life. We were eating lunch at the time with a couple of other guys and he was driving me crazy - his hands were constantly moving as he was constantly touching whoever he was talking to. Nice guy though; we got on great.

(sorry Todd)

Is that "Sorry Todd" where "Sorry" is an adjective describing my general state of being?

or

An uneeded apology because I like Loreena McKennit and you prefer the scribblings of this young man?

483px-Thirteen-year-old_Beethoven.jpg

Bernard,

Don't quite know what to make of it myself. Not trying to sound like a snob or whatever but I find discordant, non melodic music (Bartok, Crumb, Carrigliano, etc.) new and exciting because of its constant irregularities in themes, wide swings in dynamic range, atypical arrangements and lack of predictability. Does take a bit to get used to and certainly not everyone's cup of tea. Most people's I suspect.

And no, I don't fidget with my hands. :D

Gordon

Is that "Sorry Todd" where "Sorry" is an adjective describing my general state of being?

or

An uneeded apology because I like Loreena McKennit and you prefer the scribblings of this young man?
The power of a comma! Imagine, if you will, a comma between "sorry" and "Todd", and you will get my intent.

BTW I do like some of LM's stuff, but the scribblings of that young lad even more.

Gordon,

At the National Arts Centre here they used to arrange the programs in their concerts such that the works of the classical masters were played first, followed by modern (discordant) music. The only problem was that before the modern stuff a lot of people would just walk out, so they reversed the order.

And on one occasion a soprano started a piece with a line that began, "We are not alone". Even I laughed!

There was one piece of modern music during which people were actually laughing as some of the musicians rushed between instruments. The music left a lot to be desired! But then during the first performance of Beethoven's 3rd Symphony someone shouted, "I'd give a Kreutzer for it to stop". It was also likened by one critic to hammers being dropped.

Bernard,

That's the amazing thing about music.

Todd seems to like Baroque music. That's great but I find it very boring.

When I hear Vivaldi's Four Seasons, Beethoven's 5th Sym., Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto, Rimsky Korsokov's Scheherazad, Berlioz's Symphony Fantastique etc., I run to my tuner and switch the channel. It's all great music but, in my opinion, so overplayed.

Kinda like Led Zepplins's Stairway to Heaven or Dire Straits MTV on the rock side of the aisle.

Maybe that's what motivates me to search out music that is new and different.

Gordon

Bernard,

That's the amazing thing about music.

Todd seems to like Baroque music. That's great but I find it very boring.

When I hear Vivaldi's Four Seasons, Beethoven's 5th Sym., Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto, Rimsky Korsokov's Scheherazad, Berlioz's Symphony Fantastique etc., I run to my tuner and switch the channel. It's all great music but, in my opinion, so overplayed.

Kinda like Led Zepplins's Stairway to Heaven or Dire Straits MTV on the rock side of the aisle.

Maybe that's what motivates me to search out music that is new and different.

Gordon

Gordon... have you heard anything from the trendy dubstep genre? Get some Skrillix, slap it in your player, turn up the V, and step on back!

My son is stepping in all kinds of dub these days. Not my first choice in song selection, but some of it is pretty fun to listen to at higher SPLs. I would imagine Justin could recommend a track or two as well :)

After duo sonatas we bought the 6 cd set best 100 guitar

J

I just received Duo Sonatas... playing it now via Oppo SACD. Spectacular! The virtuoso talent (Podger) + true period instruments (an original Pesarinius from 1739!) makes this recording incredibly decadent.

Back