Adventure into 5.1-7.1

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Necrosuit

Reaction score
Hey folks. Been messing around with the idea of 5.1 or 7.1 for a while. 6 months ago I got a Onkyo tx-nr609 receiver hooked it up to Duevel Venus (fronts) Martin Logan Cinema-i (center) Yamaha sub and cheapo rears to see if I like the idea of 5.1. This setup is in my standard living room and not dedicated. After some time I really liked the feel and or sound of HT. So I have now purchased the marantz SR7005 receiver (thanks to Todd) and Martin Logan Vantage speakers. So since this is all new to me, what are the recommended rear(side) speakers within a reasonable budget? Also what are all your opinions on setup and or anything at all? I will obviously mess around with locations and positions but is there anything else to review and or consider? thanks!

Right now I have source se for sides and dual matinee for rears but dont have the room so the source will stay. I say buy a pair of source on the used market if you have the space but new they are only $1200

I agree with projectormovielover. Find a pair of Source for the rears. You'd be surprised on how much content goes to the rears in 5.1 and having a full range speaker (even more so for an ESL since a lot of home theater peeps recommend dipole for surrounds) is a real treat for your ears.

yep... same here... if your room setup allows for it, see if you can find some other MLs for the surrounds. On placement and setup, the Marantz should have everything you need to EQ and level-set all the speakers, so I think if you can place them per typical HT setup, you should be good to go :)

Thanks guys. I think I might have to get scripts or something of the sort for the rears as they will have to be wall mounted, not enough room behind couch. I wish I did have the room for the source, they seem pretty cheap. Maybe Matinee for rears?

Last edited:
Maybe Matinee for rears?

I think I may be selling my 2 matinee rears for about $950 shortly and keeping the Vista ,stage and source as I cannot fit the two right behind the couch after rearranging my room. The matinee are great for surrounds but don't have the bass of the source that I love. In all honesty though if you cant get the source then go for the scripts or the new version but that's spendy

I have the Script i's as my rear surrounds currently in my 5.1 setup and I love them. My plan is to upgrade my entire system to do 7.2. I plan to add another Depth i and a pair of EFX's as L&R surrounds and making the Scripts the L&R Backs.

You won't be disappointed with the Scripts but I would consider the EFX's as well.

Hmmmmmm. really thinking about this. I have a basement which now is half my recording studio, if I sacrafice that I then can build a nice theater room and have the Souce as rears, but this would render my living room "empty" of gear. Been toying with the idea of the basement convert for awhile. Perhaps I can turn the garage into a band room? what say you necropop?

Hmmmmmm. really thinking about this. I have a basement which now is half my recording studio, if I sacrafice that I then can build a nice theater room and have the Souce as rears, but this would render my living room "empty" of gear. Been toying with the idea of the basement convert for awhile. Perhaps I can turn the garage into a band room? what say you necropop?

Oh this is getting very, very interesting :)

Get your 2 channel up to speed and screw the surround sound:).
Slow it down sunny boy.

By the way what is souce? Is that a new hot sause:)

Then again you know me and surround does nothing for me, I want to hear music as it should be and 2 channel ML's do it..

Necrodad.

Get your 2 channel up to speed and screw the surround sound:).
Slow it down sunny boy.

By the way what is souce? Is that a new hot sause:)

Then again you know me and surround does nothing for me, I want to hear music as it should be and 2 channel ML's do it..

Necrodad.

LOL... he needs BOTH Bob... 2-chan and multi-chan Both! ;)

hahah! souce, sause, maybe a 3rd times a charm? how about Sauce? hmmmm. hahaha. yup both! but yea, the 2 channel will always be priority! I truly enjoy that better, but boys will have toys. yaaa!

Hi Todd,
How goes the battle?

The way necroson is going maybe he should get off the sauce:ROFL:

Best,
Bob

Hi Bob,

It's going well thanks. Can't say I'm winning (the battle), but not really losing (at the moment) either :)

I'm hosting a old-school-buddy blow-out this weekend here at casa-clx. As I mentioned in another thread, I'll be picking up some police tape and maybe hiring a few armed guards to stand watch here in the CLX inner-sanctum. Don't need and full pints of beer and their glassy-eyed wielders anywhere near my precious, precious babies ;)

Hope things are well for you and yours! Let us know when the "project sauce" remodeling effort commences ;)

Ha! The Sauce is what makes it all ok! Anyway, got the Marantz 7005 Receiver today and also the Martin Logan Vantage. Todd, thanks for telling me about the Marantz! Between that and the Vantage the room HT is amazing. I watched some of Transformers which I have watched at least 6 times and this time I was hearing detail everywhere I didnt hear before, Very noticable was the buzzing that comes from the under voice when they are talking....simply fantastic. I think I might have to keep modifying?????

Attachments

• room view.jpg
    room view.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 45
Back