Montis review--

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes a previous thread posted by Dougster discusses this. I posted a similar review (but not as pretty) on the ML website several weeks ago. Are there others?

Joel

There is a new review out for the Montis in hi fi world audio May by Noel keyword. Is there a link to read the review only. If not, for those who get the magazine, what are the key points of the review?

J

Montis review update

Hi there.... Just paid 'n' downloaded the review edition of Hi Fi World from their website. Noel Keywood is a big fan of electrostatics especially Quads and has done much to attempt to modify them to optimise performance. His review is clearly a bit mixed, and he is not a fan of MLs bass cabinet and all the bass coming out through the cone including reflected components. He praises its huge soundstage and analytic detail its efficiency and detail revelation and flatness of frequency outside of the lumpy bass (low bass peak in their room). They found it a challenge to match with components that were free from any harshness or glare in the treble, but once they had achieved this they were well impressed. He concluded that further work on the bass performance and integration was needed and strongly implied some subsonic to very low bass filtration or a more generous bass cabinet would help. His love of full range electrostats no doubt making him aware of what potential for improvement there was in this area. No direct comparison made with eg Summit (X) or Spire. A very thoughtful review overall, though and the detail well worth reading. Hmmmmm.

Thanks. I use audyssey xt32 with pro kit and 2 good subs. Crossing over to the subs at 40-60hz works well. The Xover to my subs (Descent I, jl112) would provide the subsonic filter suggested in the review. Audyssey Pro has helped on these speakers very much so that the system is now outstanding. I also put the speakers on hockey pucks to decrease coupling with my supported floor. Room treatments are also important especially with a speaker that can go down as low as the Montis. X,2X, y dimensions can really hurt (e.g. 16x8x14). Room treatments can sometimes help the mode issues in these cases. I use 2 GIK 242s. Given the reviewers comments I wonder if his room has some issues with low frequency modes that affected his review.

So in general I would agree with the review as you have you described it.

The Martin Logan hybrid approach is what it is. For those of us with limited space that makes a Quad 2905 or Martin Logan CLX impossible , it is a great opportunity to reap most of the benefits of electrostatics. The Montis is in my opinion a step forward in the implementation of this approach .

Placement of the speakers is critical. Break in vital. After all is done I think the mid bass transition is done very well in the Montis ; perhaps the best that ML delivered so far in their hybrid design.

J

Last edited:
Back