electro motion R??

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmstpierre

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just wondering if anybody has had any experience with the electro motion R. if so can they give some deatails of how they perform.are they more a patio/ambience music speakers or can they successfully be used for a HT room where all 5 speakers are identical (5x electro motion R).
sincerely yours
john

These ElectroMotion speakers have only been available for a few weeks (announced at CES in January) so I think that the chances of finding someone that has installed a 5x system with them at this date is probably slim.

That being said, I installed a pair of the ElectroMotion IC speakers as rear fill to my EM ESL setup (in place since July), My room arrangement does not lend itself to floor standing speakers, and wall mounted speakers would be too far from the listening area to be practical. The "voice" is a nice match with the EM-ESL, and I am pleased with their performance.

The EM IC as well as the R have the advantage that they can be aimed toward your listening area for the best performance.

You didn't say if you are thinking about all ceiling mounts, or in-wall or a combination. The all ceiling might be your best bet because you can aim them. In a prior life, I had in a HT setup with L/C/R in-wall speakers mounted at listening height, but because they were in fixed locations, I was never happy with the soundstage.

Another alternative you might want to look at is the new Motion SLM line that would look good next to a video display.

I

hi guys,

thanks for the replies.i did not realise that the EM R were only released recently.I knew they were knew but not that much..
as for me, well it s been a bit of an going saga as to which speakers m going with. i was about to order 3 voyages and subs to complement them, but the wife and i decided that our new house will be more of a traditional look, not contemporary. the front wall will accommodate the tv, anmd then cladded in bricks but will also house the fire place. As such i can t really place big voyages and subs on that wall, one as m running out of space on that wall but also the looks won t be great.
the wife is happy for me to have a a pair of ML floorstander such as the ESL or theos, but after a few measurements, i simply can not have the speakers stick out that much into the room.What a shame, as i would have loved one of those, but what s the point to get a top notch speaker if i won t use it to it s full potential.
i am desperatly trying to stick to ML as i fell in love their sound( auditionned vantage, theos and ethos) and i am hoping that sticking with ML EM R i will still get a bit of that magic, even if it s not comparable to the stated speakers, just a little, i will be a happy man...
If i go for the EM R i will probably get 5 or 7 of them, and 2 more for patio.At least i ll have an even soundfield.
the other speakers i was considering was the BG radia in ceiling 201, but i can t audition them here in australia, so very hard to make a decision.
hope i did not bore you too much with my life story.thanks again for the reply and advice.
john

I am always appreciative for lengthy responses so you don't bore me

Martin Logan has some nice on-walls as well as in walls. Try hunting down some used scripts as you get the electrostat sound with the convenience of an in wall

ooops, sorry for late reply...been on night shift and absolutely no time to jump on net..thanks again for your info and advice.unfortunately i can t not go on wall due to a few interior choices for the new house.we are going more for a traditional looking interior, so having big on wall is not really on option.not even in wall, as not only due to interior loo, but front wall is all covered in cladded stone and also that the wall cavity is only 70mm deep.second best option is in ceiling with a sub hidden in a cabinet. i was looking at the bg radia ic 201 but they may seem a bit too imposing and think the em R look neater..
the only little problem i now have is to decide on which av amp to het.being a 4 ohm speaker m worried that some av amp may struggle to get the best out of them.on my short list is the yamaha 3010 or onkyo 5009. i guess i could get the onkyo 5509 processor with a emotiva 5 ch amp for roughly the same price as a receiver..what s your thought on that???
i have been doing a bit of googling about an all inceiling ht / family room but not much info out there. i want to know if by going in ceiling there are any point going 7.1 set up or is it a bit of a waste??
thanks again for all your advice..
regards
john

Latest posts

Back