Outdated (and not any more) media you use.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which outdated media do you use? It does not have to be exclusive, of course.

Votes: 2 11.8%

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • 8-track

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • cassette

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • LP

Votes: 13 76.5%
  • MiniDisc

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • reel-to-reel

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • other

Votes: 3 17.6%

• Total voters

aleci

Reaction score
Which outdated media do you use? It does not have to be exclusive, of course.

By the way, “and not any more” in title is about LPs; they are coming back (at least that is what I would call it based on the fact that I can purchase an LP at Fred Meyer store).

Only LP for me, and at that, only very rarely! Interestingly, in my opinion, it is only reel-to-reel that is capable of comprehensively bettering the most basic formats of today (redbook). It will be interesting to see how many people use that versus the "consumer" medium, LP.

Reel-to-reel will always be my favorite (nostalgic reasons if nothing else).
I am pleasantly surprised that I am not the only one using cassettes. To many it comes as a surprise that cassette is actually capable of at least matching reel-to-reel when it comes to low end response or wow and flutter.

Funny, I looked at list, and while I've had pretty much each and every one at some point, I haven't used any of them for years and years and years.

Even CDs are now 'endangered' as Tom points out, as I rip them into FLAC and use my server and DLNA setups to distribute the content within the home. I haven't spun a CDto listen to in years as well.

Even my DVD-As are ripped now into multichannel FLAC as well and fed to my pre-pro via HDMI.

You did not list LD (LaserDisc), I still have a CLD-97 and about 100 discs. I spin one disc a year just to keep the player functional. Pure nostalgia (and laziness) is why it is still in the rack.

I had to leave something out in order to have “other” option. ;-)
I agree; it is inconsistent (especially with MD inclusion). Should I just ask moderator to delete this thread?

Funny, I looked at list, and while I've had pretty much each and every one at some point, I haven't used any of them for years and years and years.

Even CDs are now 'endangered' as Tom points out, as I rip them into FLAC and use my server and DLNA setups to distribute the content within the home. I haven't spun a CDto listen to in years as well.

Even my DVD-As are ripped now into multichannel FLAC as well and fed to my pre-pro via HDMI.

You did not list LD (LaserDisc), I still have a CLD-97 and about 100 discs. I spin one disc a year just to keep the player functional. Pure nostalgia (and laziness) is why it is still in the rack.

Yup I agree, you missed a big one with Laserdiscs. I also use a CLD-97 (modded with AC3 output and a DNR mod). I have about 700 disks. Laserdisc audio is some of the best, often better than DVD. They also had a great collection of music and concert releases!

CD is pretty much outdated for me. Just keep my top 20 or so CD's, DVD-A and SACD's accessible when I want to spin.
Loved MiniDisc but like tape, it was limited and was replaced by my iPod.
Although I still purchase CD's, they get ripped to Apple lossless and get put in storage.

Back