Have new Vista's...Need new girlfriend...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark_inri

Reaction score
So my first pair of Martin Logan's arrived today. I spent the better part of 2 hours building the cables, setting up the speakers and praying that my old Denon 140watts/ch would power these. I've been window shopping amps, just in case. But the Denon seems to be purring and the speakers are sweet even if they're not broken in. I was warned that I wouldn't have much bass for a couple of weeks so I put an old Gallo mini sub into the mix and it is all good.

Then I go down the hall and proudly announce to the girlfriend, who's surfing on Facebook, that the new speakers are ready to go...wanna join me? To which she replies, from the other end of the house, I can hear them from here honey...they sound great.:confused:

Congrats on your new speakers. Your girlfriend has already discovered they project very well. So well you can use them for whole house music, but best heard in the same room for dedicated listening.

Look on the bright side, she hasn't told you they can't stay!!

M.

Its just the nature of the hobby and mates. I would guess a very low % of significant others have any interest in their music setup.

After 37 years together my wife just smiles when I suggest I've made an improvement in my system. She could care less but is supportive of my obsession/interest though.

I wouldn't dump your girl friend for this lack of interest. After all, when is the last time you got excited that she found that perfect purse to match her favorite shoes.:)

Glad you are enjoying your Vista's. They will only get better with time.

Its just the nature of the hobby and mates. I would guess a very low % of significant others have any interest in their music setup.

After 37 years together my wife just smiles when I suggest I've made an improvement in my system. She could care less but is supportive of my obsession/interest though.

I wouldn't dump your girl friend for this lack of interest. After all, when is the last time you got excited that she found that perfect purse to match her favorite shoes.:)

+1... exactly my experience as well.

Just remember: there is only one sweet spot! The less time she spends in it, the more time you do. So be careful what you wish for.

If my wife had her way I would be listening to some bose micro speakers that don't take up any room

Try playing some music you hate but she really loves and she will come to love them ....... 10% more than she does now

Thanks for the moral support. Last night I was wondering what I was doing in a relationship with someone who I have so little in common with, but you have enlightened me:

There is only one sweet spot in the room and it is all mine:D

I really haven't any interest what so ever in her massive purse collection that is surely worth the price of a Krell.

She stays out of the listening room and she could care less what I bring home as long as it's inanimate.

As for PML's suggestion, that I put on one of her fav's to lure her in: I must admit that I gave some serious thought to putting Adele on tonight, but...there is really only one sweet spot in the room...

On a more serious note, I was surprised at how quickly the sound opened up last night. I listened for about three hours (yes I have an obsession) and they really brightened and the sub started kicking in. I played Bach's Toccata which has a great deep bass organ piece in it and, Saint Saen's Organ symphony. I also rocked out with a little Carlos Santana. The difference between the first half hour and the last was quite striking.

I received my ML vista last Monday and they are still trying to soften up in the woofer department and I only really get around 2 hours a day if lucky. Hopefully they will really open up in the bass department by the end of the month

Tonight I came home and decided to set up a passive horizontal bi-amp off my old Denon 2807. Wow, what a difference, I was really surprised but now I know how power hungry these babies really are. I sold audio gear many years ago and became very skeptical of overkill on amps, but these guys really like power. In any event, the woofers are really starting to kick. Truth be told, I am a bass fiend and will probably need a sub no matter how much these woofers soften up. Any thoughts on subs for the Vistas?

Tonight I came home and decided to set up a passive horizontal bi-amp off my old Denon 2807. Wow, what a difference, I was really surprised but now I know how power hungry these babies really are. I sold audio gear many years ago and became very skeptical of overkill on amps, but these guys really like power. In any event, the woofers are really starting to kick. Truth be told, I am a bass fiend and will probably need a sub no matter how much these woofers soften up. Any thoughts on subs for the Vistas?

Vista's love the juice.

I will be getting a used Sunfire TGA 5400 tomorrow (400 wpc, 800 wpc, 1600 wpc@ 8-4-2 ohms).

I can't wait.

And don't worry. My wife doesn't get my hobby either. :)

Later

Very well said:D

I have been married for 39 years and the last year or so my wife has been coming in and listening to all sorts of music and i enjoy that very much.

Yes she gets the sweet spot but even in the off seat it sounds fabulous and it's nice to have her there.
She likes it so much now she almost dances out of the seat:cool: But then again she is a retired dancer:rocker:

Best,
Bob

I also have Vistas, purchased new about six months ago, totally awesome step up from the NHT Three's which I found very detailed and dynamic up until then. But yes, a sub is mandatory in my book, but needs to be tight, accurate and fast with lots of headroom, so really needs to be a high power sealed unit. The Velodyne DD-15 that I use in my basement theater room was ideal, but it was needed down there and I can't afford a new DD-15 plus, so in the main floor kitchen-family room I've ended up with a Paradigm Signature Sub 12 with DBX 31-band equalizer in series with it to boost the low end to compensate for loss in the 30'x14' room (only the 20, 25, 31.5, 40, 50, 63, 80 & 100Hz sliders are used, all the others are down at min.). Can get some nice room lock going on in the 30Hz region when the source contains such information. But adding a sub needs bass management which can be a problem in an analog stereo system; for that I'm using an Outlaw RR2150 which has built in analog bass management (Emotiva also have the USP-1 preamp that does the same thing). The other advantage is that the main amp doesn't need to provide the high energy low frequencies so the 160W into 4-ohms rating of the Outlaw is more than adequate for the Vista's. Also prevents any woofer stress on the Vista's at higher listening levels.

So a sub will make the Vista's come alive, it really increases the realism that they provide with any type of music. Wife and I find ourselves listening to light jazz, that we would never have imagined before the Vista's came on the scene. But the sub might end up costing as much as the Vista's otherwise you risk introducing boom and bloat which will cause the wife to keep telling you to turn it down.

A sub is a must. I am running dual Depth i's with my Vista's and it was a marked improvement going from one to two.

They mate very well together.

I showed my wife of 40 years your comment. She gave you a +1. She does like listening to music which we do for 1-2 hours every evening after the Daly show.

She was very supportive of our upgrade to the Montis after listening at a showroom as well.

She tolerates my tweaks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Also stupid drunkin friends.................................

Not to be taken lightly.

I'm prepping for a old-school-buddy blow out here at the house two weekends from now. They're all good guys, but people do "funny" things once the booze variable enters into the equation. I might need some of that police tape you mentioned in some other thread. Or maybe an armed guard (that doesn't drink).

Latest posts

Back