Ella Fizgerald / Ella Wishes You A Swinging Christmas

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin

Reaction score
Ella Fitzgerald / Ella Wishes You A Swinging Christmas

Artist / Title: Ella Fitzgerald / Ella Wishes You A Swinging Christmas
Year of Release: 1988
Record Label: Verve / PolyGram Records
Genre: Jazz

Well, I wasn't going to recommend any Christmas music, as my collection is very small. Which is why, I had asked for other recommendations, in another thread on this site. Anyway, this CD has been one of my all time favorite Christmas CD's. Ella Fitzgerald is simply, just an amazing jazz singer... :D Ella made this beautiful record album in New York, back in 1960, with the Frank DeVol Orchestra. Many jazz greats and friends of Ella's composed the wonderful songs, she sings on this album / CD, like: "Good Morning Blues" by Count Basie / Eddie Durham / Jimmy Rushing, The Christmas Song by Mel Torme / Robert Wells, Jingle Bells by J.S. Pierpont / Frank DeVol, White Christmas by Irving Berlin. And a fantastic New Year's tune called "What Are You Doing New Year's Eve?" by Frank Loesser.

As a Christmas jazz album / CD, this one ranks up there with, all of Ella's very best jazz CD's. All of the tunes are scored in a marvelous, jazz style, by Ella and the Frank DeVol Orchestra. In this great holiday CD, Ella chose to stress the festive aspect of the season, rather than the solemn religious, it has more of a party feeling. Ella exercised her freedom to use a greater selection of material too. This is truly as delightful a Christmas CD as you will find in the jazz genre. :D

I hope you will give it a listen and enjoy it as much as I have... :D

Merry Christmas and have a Happy New Year!

Cheers

-Robin

Attachments

• B0000046YM.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
    B0000046YM.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
Back