Carver new 'Amazing' line source

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonFo

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Mr. Hyperbole - Bob Carver is back with yet another 'Amazing' speaker system. This time a slim 8' tall line source with an interesting layout.

A super-slim forward profile to minimize diffraction of the all-important high-frequencies, it has its mid-bass drivers mounted facing the side.

Pretty interesting config, and I'd love to hear it, but at $22K, I don't believe I'd think twice and just get a CLX instead.

What do you think of this one?

Has anyone heard it?

Article: http://www.avguide.com/article/bob-carver-introduce-amazing-line-source-speaker-axpona-2012

Bob%20Carver%20ALS.JPG

Amazing Line Source - by Bob Carver

The price is a joke I think

I saw a pic of this speaker in development a long time ago and the crossover looked like it would have cost $20 to make. but I will have to read up to see what developments have come about. Initially Bob said time and time again that this would be a speaker everyone could afford ?

Is there such a thing as hyper-hyperbole? Good Lord, that write-up is psychedelic.

What's the +/- 3dB FR ? I didn't see it listed (maybe I missed it).

p.s. I do kinda like the Tim Burton-esque base though... looks like it could suddenly ambulate, which would make for really fun speaker placement tweaking (assuming it’s cooperative and non-lethal)

Last edited:
To infinity and beyond! Sorry, couldn't resist. Actually, I'm considering his new amps, along with cj and AR. I have to listen to them first, though.

Last edited:
The price is a joke I think

I saw a pic of this speaker in development a long time ago and the crossover looked like it would have cost $20 to make. but I will have to read up to see what developments have come about. Initially Bob said time and time again that this would be a speaker everyone could afford ?

Well, actually it may not even have a crossover. The configuration is suspiciously similar to a "folded" version of the Scaena or even its predecessor, the Porzilli Pipedream.
Bob Carver's thing has an odd number of drivers though, 13 ribbons and 22 side firing midranges. Still it should prove to be interesting. I consider the large Scaenas to be the best speaker system I have had the pleasure of hearing. Prior to that, it was the original Porzilli Pipedream, oso I would not count Mr. Carver's "Amazing" part deux out just yet ;-)

Cheers,
Ray

I pretty much agree with this sentiment. They are some awesome sounding speakers.
I keep trying - and failing - to track down the Scaenas for a listen. They were a no-show @ THE Show and weren't on the exhibitor list @ RMAF.:mad: By all accounts they're pretty fabulous.

The last time I listened to them was at Axpona, in Atlanta. With so many shows coming about, I suppose they have to pick and choose.

Hm nothing there that does LF. I wonder how low it goes without assistance.

Raygunn - have you heard AG Trios and basshorns together? If the Scaenas are better I'd be surprised.

The last time I listened to them was at Axpona, in Atlanta. With so many shows coming about, I suppose they have to pick and choose.

I heard the Scaena at the Atlanta Axpona, and they were very, very good, but I still like my Monolith setup better.

I'm looking forward to hearing Carvers new line array at Axpona!

Sleepy, I'm looking forward to your report on the carver. I'm curious what kind of subwoofers they will pair these with.

Don't know about Carver's setup, but the Scaena's have subs for the low freqs. From their webpage:

Bass and sub-sonics are reproduced by our 18" woofers. The cylindrical enclosure is a machined inert enclosure internally braced and shaped for standing wave reduction. Once again, the enclosure has no sound of its own, and clear, thundering, yet natural bass is the result. Our digital electronic cross-over and power amplifier combines the line array towers and our bass/subsonic speakers.

Raygunn - have you heard AG Trios and basshorns together? If the Scaenas are better I'd be surprised.

I would soooo love to hear the Trios and Basshorns. They are my all-time favorite speaker system that I never heard (just ahead of ML Statements).

I heard the Scaena's at RMAF a few years ago, and at the first Axpona in Jacksonville 3-4 years ago. Very impressive, especially with the dual subs dialed in! But you definitely need the right room (and spouse/SO) to accommodate them! I suspect the Carver design will be equally imposing!

I have heard the Avantgarde Trios and they have a very very BIG sound. IMHO they are one of the best speakers I have heard at very low levels as well as reproducing dynamic impact. Their ability to retain detail, imaging, and bandwidth at low volumes is very very impressive. This was many years ago and to be honest, I'm not sure I would place them ahead of the Lotus Group's Granada. These are truly outstanding in doing what the Avantgarde's do but also add in creating more lifelike images than the AG's.

That said, in the environment I heard the AG's in, an Audio Show in London, they did not possess the ability to completely disappear into a believable performance as did the original Porzilli Pipedreams or the current "Naked Pipedream", Porzilli's Scaena's.
Either of these speakers actually capture the size, eigenton, and sheer movement of air in a room like no other speaker I have ever heard. They literally place you inside a performance venue.

At the end of the day, it's whatever floats your particular boat. Hell, after a 30+ year love affair with electrostatics, I find myself going head over heels over an air motion transformer hybrid! So anything is possible.

There are lots and lots of "solutions" out there. No speaker is perfect, so you just have to settle for what is perfect to you, sonically, aesthetically, and financially.

Cheers,
Ray

Todd,

I think the marketing people at Carver and Mapleshade should get together and form a new team. Now that would be psychedelic.

GG

Is there such a thing as hyper-hyperbole? Good Lord, that write-up is psychedelic.

What's the +/- 3dB FR ? I didn't see it listed (maybe I missed it).

p.s. I do kinda like the Tim Burton-esque base though... looks like it could suddenly ambulate, which would make for really fun speaker placement tweaking (assuming it’s cooperative and non-lethal)

According to the owner of Scaena speakers, who was presenting at the show:

"my speakers are like an SUV; Bob Carver's new line arrays are like the Italian sports car of speakers!"

scaena_speakers.jpg

Linesourcespeakersdrivenmyblackbeauty305tubeamps.jpg

Last edited:
TNrabbit >Those Scaena's actually look like ferrari red to me:D They may look a little offbeat but those babies really bring the heat I loved that room at Axpona 11 Atlanta we got to do some late night listening and in a big room I have never heard better sound . Not sure how they would do in an average listening room but boy are they good

Back