Vista's Versus Electromotion ESL's

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark_inri

Reaction score
I just listened to the ESL's at BB and they blew me away. I called Audio Advisor and asked about them and they told me about the closeout deal on Vista's for $2k a pair.

They said the Vista's were far superior with a bigger sound stage because of the larger surface area and better bass because of the aluminum woofer. I then called Martin Logan and got a slightly different answer. they agreed that Vista's would play louder but said that the ESL's were more accurate, had as good a sound stage and the woofers were different construction but as good.

I'm planning on pulling the trigger on this purchase over the weekend. Any recommendations?

I've never heard a vista, but after a week of my ESLs, I'm in love. They still need more break in until they reach full potential. The ESL uses the new Xstat panel which I'm not sure if the vista has. If not, this might be why ML claims its superior.

However, the vista has a bigger panel and a lower crossover point, aluminum woofer, nicer spikes, nicer binding posts, nicer grilles and a nicer cabinet.

I'd need to find some and have a listen before making the call.

- Camron

I have heard the electromotions and own the ML source se but I just took delivery of some Vistas from AA for the 2k. The Vista's are way better and can belt out the vocals because the panel is far larger. The look of the Vista is better because of the real wood on the cabinet and the sheer size. For 2k there is really no contest because these speakers retailed for over 4k at one point but the electromotion retails for 2k as you know and they can be had for around $1500 without a warranty. The reason for the price difference is better parts bigger panel and cabinetry being more costly to reproduce

The Vista's are no longer in production so once these are gone then thats it. This does not mean they are obsolete though as ML will always have parts in stock. AA is an authorized dealer so ML has your back if your product suffers from any defect for 5 long years. If you have the cash then go grab them and youl be glad you did

I agree with AA, Roberto, and PML.

All other things being reasonably equal, I'd definitely go with the bigger panel. Major increase in overall performance including dynamics, soundstage size / depth, headroom, etc.

GG

Bigger is better... just ask my wife.

Wait... no, better not ask her about that. Just take my word for it ;)

PML, congrats on your new Vistas - Enjoy!

Thanks to all for the advice. I still can't understand why the rep at Martin Logan was pushing me toward the ESL's, but I sense that the folks on this board know what they're talking about and just ordered a pair of Vista's from AA. I'm old school and when it comes to speakers I believe that bigger is better. After all speakers move air. In any event, I am hoping that my Denon 110W/ch into 8ohms will power them adequately.

Thanks to all for the advice. I still can't understand why the rep at Martin Logan was pushing me toward the ESL's, but I sense that the folks on this board know what they're talking about and just ordered a pair of Vista's from AA. I'm old school and when it comes to speakers I believe that bigger is better. After all speakers move air. In any event, I am hoping that my Denon 110W/ch into 8ohms will power them adequately.

My tube setup is only 52 wpc and it fills my lil 20 by 12 room to almost uncomfortable levels lol. The thing I love most about logans is you dont even need loud to hear every detail

Hola Marc. Well I assure you that the Vistas at that price, the dealer is not making any money. That price is below my cost. With the Electromotions, he does. Do not worry about the power, worry about the watts quality that you are going to use to drive them. Happy listening.

I had an opportunity to listen to the ESL and the vistas at the same time. My purchase was the vistas. Better sound in my opinion. I have them in a 5.1 channel setup with my Marantz MM8001 amp running them in bi amp mode. I lOVE IT .

I had an opportunity to listen to the ESL and the vistas at the same time. My purchase was the vistas. Better sound in my opinion. I have them in a 5.1 channel setup with my Marantz MM8001 amp running them in bi amp mode. I lOVE IT .

Dying to try passive bi-amp on mine the amps I have around are all diff impedences & outputs :(

Some say the EM/ESL has the best panel/cone integration. Perhaps only bettered by the active sound shaping crossover on the new Montis.

Its a fruitless conversation we all have
Different rooms & ear canals,weather etc.
Its the same as describing a smell or color too many
Variables..

I went to BB as well and listened to the ESL and Theos. Theos was very impressive, kinda wish I had the extra cash, they were really "big" sounding. the ESL was impressive as well. I almost Purchased the ESL today but ended up getting the Vantage demo model for my 5.1 room. Had the vantage before and really liked it. But if they did not have the Vantage there I would have a pair of ESL.

The thing I noticed most was that it seemed to have a huge soundstage, bigger then the vantage but keep in mind it was in a store showroom way bigger than mine, so perhaps that played a huge role. Either way it sounded really good. I loved my old vantage and will enjoy this pair as well.

Latest posts

Back