New Motion design

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
All

I have been informed that the Motions are being discontinued for a new design. I was gonna be purchasing some Motion 10's and am a little afraid that once i do, i wont be able to complete the collection. Does anyone have info on this? Or even a picture to see the differences?

hola... I saw them at the CES and their sound is very good, close to an electrostatic...
NEW Motion® 20 & 40 Tower Speakers
MartinLogan is proud to unveil two new speaker models in the award-winning Motion® Series, the Motion 20 and Motion 40. Replacing the popular Motion 10 and Motion 12 models, both floors standing models benefit from a number of design and performance enhancements including nearly twice the internal volume over previous models (resulting in extended bass performance) and elegantly sophisticated aesthetics with rounded edges and a gently tapered top, all wrapped in a high-gloss piano-black finish.
Motion 20 - $1500 per pair* (US)
Motion 40 - $1900 per pair* (US)

Last edited:
From the ML announcement said:
...accentuates the speaker's powerful elegance while oversized 5.5-inch and 6.5-inch black aluminum cone woofers (on the 20 and 40 respectively) paired with a rear firing bass port adds extra punch in the lower frequencies. The oversized woofer design also creates increased cone area for higher output and better bass response.
http://www.martinlogan.com/news/pr/2012/01/11/motion-20-40

I'd be leery about these new claims emphasizing the "oversized" woofers. The Motion 20 has 5.5" vs 5.25" in the older Motion 10. Motion 40 has 6.5" vs the Motion 12's 6.5" (exactly the same size). So, why the fuss about "oversized" woofers in the new models? Somebody here must have some clues about the differences. I'd say to go and listen for yourself to compare new vs old. Who knows? You might save a bundle if there isn't too much difference to justify the extra cost!

Spike

Yes, the Motion 10,12 have reached the end of their life but the Motion 20,40 will step into that space. These are not simply redoes but new designs, based on the LX 16. We go to a more conventional design so they may be less controversial and used anodized aluminum cones versus doped paper of the 10,12s. Very well recieved and not shamed when compared to the CLX that we brought to the show, which Roberto can attest too. Bass and dynamics go up as cabinet volume is up and is a major contributor to a speakers capabilities. Nicer finish with a black gloss finish. Think LX16 with more bass as the direction. Overall, Motion as a family have been very successful so there will not be a departure from its overall design goals. Yes, sales spiels can get a bit hyperbolic, but put more simply, they are new, better performing, looking products.

I just bought a pair of vista for my main HT but I plan to get the motion 40's for my second HT room thats used for video games on the pj ... cant wait

Yes, the Motion 10,12 have reached the end of their life but the Motion 20,40 will step into that space. These are not simply redoes but new designs, based on the LX 16. We go to a more conventional design so they may be less controversial and used anodized aluminum cones versus doped paper of the 10,12s. Very well recieved and not shamed when compared to the CLX that we brought to the show, which Roberto can attest too. Bass and dynamics go up as cabinet volume is up and is a major contributor to a speakers capabilities. Nicer finish with a black gloss finish. Think LX16 with more bass as the direction. Overall, Motion as a family have been very successful so there will not be a departure from its overall design goals. Yes, sales spiels can get a bit hyperbolic, but put more simply, they are new, better performing, looking products.

Just a question to " not shamed when compared to CLX".

What does this exactly imply when your looking at a $ 25K speaker and the cost of these?
Just askin.

Best,
Bob

Just a question to " not shamed when compared to CLX".

What does this exactly imply when your looking at a $ 25K speaker and the cost of these?
Just askin.

Best,
Bob

+1... I'd like to hear a bit more on this as well.

Actually was wondering about this.. was at Future Shop and they're going for $225 a piece (Motion 10's).. was considering them for rears.. may go check them out tomorrow.

All

I have been informed that the Motions are being discontinued for a new design. I was gonna be purchasing some Motion 10's and am a little afraid that once i do, i wont be able to complete the collection. Does anyone have info on this? Or even a picture to see the differences?

All I can say is that they sounded very nice, with authority bass energy fulling all the room. Clear, crispy and with a very good detail. Of course, the CLXs were much better, but these little speakers had, to my ears, the legendary ML sound. I was very impressed. Not a shy sound. Very open, big stage, with good depth, and truly well balanced sound from bottom to top. I really liked them that much. Very easy to set them up. I think it is another option, low cost, that sounds that good. I remain with electrostatic sound of course, but these babies worth every penny and more. I do not know how the ML team did it. To my ears, it is a fine product. They were powered by the new M1 mono blocks from Anthem, with MIT speaker cables as I recall. Happy listening!

Had the chance to audition the Motion 10's at Future Shop today.. bad room, bad source but I heard the potential. As you said Roberto, clean, crisp and good detail. Was seriously considering them for my rears but they just wouldn't work in my place. The entire main floor is open with a 4+ foot wrap around kitchen counter separating the kitchen and living room so I only have a foot or so between the counter wall and my sofa. Right now, the rears are sitting on the counter behind the sofa and the 10's would be firing directly back into the sofa.

So I ended up with the Motion 4's. Got veto'd on putting them on the counter so I need to find a way to mount them under the overhanging counter or find some stands. We were making dinner and listening to music so I thought, why don't I unplug the Vista's and plug the 4's in so I placed them on the A/V unit just inside of the Vista's. So, I'm running the Motion 4's with the Grotto i.. no changes on the AVR to match crossover or anything.. just was going to let them run. All I can say is wow! Those folded tweeters do a really, really nice job. A little harsh but so were the Vista's for the first few weeks.

It's only been a couple of hours and they're smoothing out already. Not bad! These are scary good for the price. Not sure about imaging and depth, but for casual listening, they're awesome.

Not sure what to do now.. still need something a little smaller to hang under the counter.. may end up with a pair of Motion 2's for the rears and might keep the 4's to build an small system on my desk in the office.

All I can say is good on you Martin Logan.. I have a whole new respect for the Motion series.

Back to the OP.. if you get the 10's now, I wouldn't worry about mixing with a new series. They all seem to have the distinct ML sound and should be pretty seamless.. if they're as good a price as I have seen here.. go for it!

Well, Got my Motion 10 for a Valentines present from my wife. I found them at Frys with the worse case setup. Thats exactly how i wanted to hear them. A cheap ass Sony, under powered(75 watts) pushing them. They sounded great. Hooked them to my 1912, and wow! I really wnted to get the 12's, or so i thought, the 10's are incredible. Anyway, got them at Mag, and under 200 ea.

Congrats on your new purchase at a great deal!! Now, sit back and enjoy, before "upgraditis" kicks in :)

Spike

Back