Custom Search

Thread: Bryan Ferry - Mamouna

Blog Entries

Default Bryan Ferry - Mamouna

1. Creator = Bryan Ferry

2. Name of creation = Mamouna

3. Year of creation = Not stated on CD, 1995 ?

4. Genre = Pop / Roxy

5. Mastered by = Bob Ludwig

6. Mixed by = Bob Clearmountain

7. Recording label = Virgin

8. Description:

This is the artist i enjoy listening to the most. For people who like Bryan Ferry's music, in my opinion there can be no better album than Mamouna. This CD contains 10 tracks.
    Subjectively, all tracks are special except, again subjectively, track 9. This CD's recording is above average and has good dynamic range. It is not stated but i imagine the recording is DDD. I took this CD to the audio dealer from whom i purchased in 1995 the ML CLS 1 Ver 2 ESL's. He connected the Martin Logan ESL's to Audio Research tube Power and Pre-amp. Source was a top loading high end micromega CD player. With this high end euipment, electrostatic magic came to life. To a greater or lesser extent all tracks have a dream like sonic landscape. This album paints a vivid, artistic, audio picture comprising of changes in soundstage. The soundstage in turn comprises of different sounds. Listening to the music was like an artist creating art with their brush strokes. Hence, i guess the name CLX Art.

RAH.

Name:  PICT0008.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  42.2 KB
    Last edited by RAH; 03-09-2012 at 04:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RAH View Post

This CD's recording is above average and plays loud even at low volumes.

RAH.
    Rah, thanks for your review, however, I'd like to point out that a CD that plays "loud even at low volumes" does not necessarily mean it was well recorded. If it plays louder than other CDs, then it may be one of those CDs that were very compressed, then boosted, so that they compete well in the so-called "loudness wars" that the major labels have been engaging. To me, to have good sound, there must be dynamic range, not loudness.
    - Steve You got fins to the left, fins to the right...Wilson WP8, Pass Labs XA-100.5, Pass Labs XP-20, BAT PK-V5, Soundsmith "The Voice" Ebony, TTW GEM V2, MacMini, Amarra, Ayre QB-9 DSD, X-CAN V-3, Sennheiser HD-535, Adona, PS Audio PPP, Mogami w/ Neutrik XLRs, Douglas speaker cable, GIK treatments.

Great album, very rich and dynamic bass passages.
    George; Architect
    Aerius 1992 vintage
    Tube powered at last!
    System # 42
    System Link

Quote Originally Posted by slowGEEZR View Post
    Rah, thanks for your review, however, I'd like to point out that a CD that plays "loud even at low volumes" does not necessarily mean it was well recorded. If it plays louder than other CDs, then it may be one of those CDs that were very compressed, then boosted, so that they compete well in the so-called "loudness wars" that the major labels have been engaging. To me, to have good sound, there must be dynamic range, not loudness.
    Your description of the CD makes me interested. I too however are worried about the "loud at low levels" as this is how compressed music is typically described. Going to have to check this out.
    My Home Theater (including full equipment list, pictures, and room build gallery): Home Theater web page

Blog Entries

Firstly, i appreciate everyone's feedback. It is difficult however please allow me to make my statement more accurate. First of all, subjectively this CD is well recorded. Second, it is difficult to say for i do not know whether the CD was first compressed and then boosted. What i do know is that it plays approx. 20% to 30% more dynamically than the average CD at moderate listening volumes. I guess this CD has a good dynamic range.
    Last edited by RAH; 03-09-2012 at 04:49 PM.