Theos, EM-ESL, Linn DS ADVICE

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stng.ml

Reaction score
Hi guys, a few questions for those more experienced than me.

The EM-ESL speakers seem to be getting great press for how well integrated they are. It is a new design, and I am wondering whether the Theos has the same coherency from bottom to top. Anyone have experience with this?

Secondly, I have been advised that a smooth, clear source works well with the ML electrostats. I am considering a Linn Majik DS. Has anyone heard them paired with the newer ML designs? Did they work or was the Linn source too clinical?

For what it's worth, I am currently going to use my Cyrus 7 Integrated with the MLS.

Thanks in advance.

Simon

Hi there - I have not heard that particular Linn DS, but MLs are very transparent and will convey anything further up in the signal chain. There is no problem using most common source equipment with MLs - they don't have any special requirements! It is just that they will certainly convey the source's signature. If the Linn is clinical, and you like that, then there will be no problem, so long as you find it a synergisitic match. The only way to determine that is to listen for yourself.

Now, amps are a different story because the ES panel presents a very unique load. Many amps do not drive MLs well. Very stable, high current designs tend to work best. Look through the systems pages and see the sorts of things we use here.

I haven't heard the Cyrus either, but you may well find you're better off upgrading the Cyrus and using something a little more modest for source - eg. a Squeezebox and a DACMagic or Arcam rDAC. But only you can decide that.

Last edited:
I own a pair of Theos myself. I did consider the EM-ESL but for me the difference was a no brainer. The EM-ESL is a phenomenal speaker, but the Theos just feels more powerful, and 'bigger'. I also have a couple friends who now own the EM-ESL, and they should absolutely great! But I feel like my Theos sound significantly better.

Amey01, JordanD

I listened to the Theos, I was transported, I purchased. Although I suspect I would have been very happy with the EM-ESL pair as well...

I can't wait to get them.

As for the source, I went with a Majik DSI. It is musical in an all Linn system, and I think it will work with the MLs too. I'll report back after some listening and burn in time.

Simon

advice

I would suggest if you intend to go surrond in the future start with the EM'S for now the use them as rears if you choose something larger for the fronts.:cool:

Beek

I love movies, but I'm almost certinaly not going to go surround sound. I just don't have the interest in the sorts of films that need it. Action films generally aren't my thing. Thanks for the advice though. I'm really hoping that my system will give me great sound for movies too, even without the surround.

The one thing I will contemplate is a subwoofer to extend the bass, although I listen mostly to orchestral, chamber, folk and jazz, with a bit of indie stuff thrown in. I'm not sure how important more bass is to me...

Beek

I love movies, but I'm almost certinaly not going to go surround sound. I just don't have the interest in the sorts of films that need it. Action films generally aren't my thing. Thanks for the advice though. I'm really hoping that my system will give me great sound for movies too, even without the surround.

The one thing I will contemplate is a subwoofer to extend the bass, although I listen mostly to orchestral, chamber, folk and jazz, with a bit of indie stuff thrown in. I'm not sure how important more bass is to me...

I agree most new movies suck, I would try to get 2 subs..;)

No, didn't go. I had it in the back of my mind, but never got off my butt. It probably would have depressed me...all that stuff I couldn't afford. As it is, I'm not a serial HiFi equipment purchaser anyway. The ML Theos I bought is my first speaker purchase in about 14 years, and I probably won't purchase again for another 14.

I'm more likely to upgrade my amplification. I'm guessing the MLs will benefit from better amplification than the LINN integrated I'm using (although it sounds bloody wonderful anyway).

Back