Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: System #79 (Revel Studio II's , previous Spire)

Quote Originally Posted by Joey_V
    Dave,

Good choice for a center (even if it is "temporary")! How does it timbre match with the Vantages?

Joey
    Joe, no complaints. My main listening is for two channel music(80-90%) . Truthfully my previous system(all Klipsch7 series stuff) was every bit as good as the M/L on movies but the horn's got to me when it came to two channel music.

Dave

System #79 - Analog is Alive and Well, if in doubt, click the link below !

Click Here to see my System

Quote Originally Posted by twich54
    Joe, no complaints. My main listening is for two channel music(80-90%) . Truthfully my previous system(all Klipsch7 series stuff) was every bit as good as the M/L on movies but the horn's got to me when it came to two channel music.
    I figured the Klipsch would be good for movies, afterall, many theaters are equipped with klipsch speakers. Those guys are made for movies moreso than 2 channel music.

I would like to outfit my HT room with klipsch speakers one day... cost effective but good sounding at the same time.
    Joey "kid with grey hair" V
    System 1: Emm Labs TSDX Transport -> Emm Labs DAC2x -> Cary SLP-05 Pre -> Boulder 2060 Stereo Amp -> B&W 802D3, AQ WEL Power Cords, AQ WEL Speaker Wire, AQ Wind (reterminating to XLR)
    System 2: Rotel RA1592 Integrated -> Sonus Faber Olympica 3
    System 3: Rotel RC1570 Preamp -> Rotel RB1582 Stereo Amp -> B&W CM10s2 (ESL11a replacement??)

Default Look what "I" got for Mothers Day !! ARC LS-26

After listening to it in my system I couldn't return it ! Yes Spike I know I still need to expand my horizons but this thing was such a quantum leap over the SP-16, I figured....... oh hell, why not spend some more of the kids inheritance !
    Dave

After listening to it in my system I couldn't return it ! Yes Spike I know I still need to expand my horizons but this thing was such a quantum leap over the SP-16, I figured....... oh hell, why not spend some more of the kids inheritance !
    Uh oh... poor kids!

What makes this preamp better Dave? Can you expound on this a little more? And, how did you come to this conclusion (ie A/B testing and what material)?

Pics too!!

Nonetheless... CONGRATS on the Mother's Day goodies!
    System 1: Emm Labs TSDX Transport -> Emm Labs DAC2x -> Cary SLP-05 Pre -> Boulder 2060 Stereo Amp -> B&W 802D3, AQ WEL Power Cords, AQ WEL Speaker Wire, AQ Wind (reterminating to XLR)
    System 3: Rotel RC1570 Preamp -> Rotel RB1582 Stereo Amp -> B&W CM10s2 (ESL11a replacement??)

Joey, the A/B testing was done last week @ Overture Audio (see my post on Auditioning the LS-26). The single biggest difference between the LS-26 and the SP-16 is the "lifting of another veil" whereby all the instruments become more clearly focused, identifiable and spacially postioned as if "you were there live". I have spent many hours over the past few months listening to the ARC REF-3 and this thing is mighty close. It was easy for me to discern the difference between my "16" and the "26" whereas I don't know if I could blindly tell the difference between the Ref3 and the "26".
    Last edited by twich54; 05-16-2006 at 05:48 AM.
    Dave

Dave,
    I must have done something wrong. I am a single dad and all I got was a card from one of my kids!

Congrats on the new SP-16!

Kids inheritance, yeah right, let them buy there own ARC stuff and keep yours. I told my kids I am taking my stuff with me when I leave and they can not have it.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Zaret
    Dave,

Congrats on the new SP-16!
    Jeff

Jeff, Good morning, the SP-16 WAS my pre-amp, the LS-26 now resides in its place.
    Dave

Super User

Perfect example of "trust your own ears"!! Congratulations on the baby Ref3!! No comments on...the kids inheritance

Spike

Jeff, Good morning, the SP-16 WAS my pre-amp, the LS-26 now resides in its place.
    Dave,
    See I was sooooooooooooo upset about just getting a card I got it wrong. LOL
    Sorry, but congrats on the LS-26

Jeff

Default Santa Has Landed !!

Got a call from Overture yesterday, the Aries 3 had arrived ! Everything as ordered, 10.5i arm with VPI/DynaVector 20XH cartridge. They did send me the wrong platter though, I ordered the translucent/white one , Black was sent instead. No problem VPI will swap out post-haste.

I am now in analog heaven !
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Dave

O my... what's the retail on one of those?

Daveyman... I'm thinking of going TT... you're not helpign the upgrade bug!

Joey

Quote Originally Posted by twich54 View Post
    Got a call from Overture yesterday, the Aries 3 had arrived ! Everything as ordered, 10.5i arm with VPI/DynaVector 20XH cartridge. They did send me the wrong platter though, I ordered the translucent/white one , Black was sent instead. No problem VPI will swap out post-haste.

I am now in analog heaven !
    Dave, truely a thing of freakin' beauty. I told you I wouldn't be jealeous but now that I see it I truely am. You lucky bastage!

I gotta tell you though, I've never seen it with the black acrylic platter, I'm thinking I like it better than the clear one. I'd be tempted to leave it as is. Must work on securing that BDR clamp for you... Happy listening my friend; something tells me you're going to be listening long into the night, pulling out album after album. Hell, just seeing it makes me want to go home and spin a few slabs right NOW!
    MiTT
    Tim Bingaman

All Music...All the time...Commercial Free...

If you want to see System 95 click here

Quote Originally Posted by Joey_V View Post
    O my... what's the retail on one of those?
    Joey

Too Much !!!!, Table and arm retail for $4700, Cartridge retails for $700, my dealer saved me 10% on the table and 20% on the cartridge, plus the beauty of living so close to Delaware...... NO TAX !!!
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by MiTT View Post
    I've never seen it with the black acrylic platter, I'm thinking I like it better than the clear one. I'd be tempted to leave it as is. Must work on securing that BDR clamp for you... Happy listening my friend; something tells me you're going to be listening long into the night, pulling out album after album. Hell, just seeing it makes me want to go home and spin a few slabs right NOW!

If it wasn't for the fact that within all my pieces of equipment, speaker grills, draperies,etc. there is so much black I would agree, I kinda like the contrast of the white/translucent platter. I'm on my fourth alblum now and it is just starting loosen-up/come to life !! Look forward to hearing how you make out with Black Diamond Racing, Thanks Tim !!

also, I must borrow the words of Dan (DTB300), the piano black finish on this thing is "pure eye candy"
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by twich54 View Post
    If it wasn't for the fact that within all my pieces of equipment, speaker grills, draperies,etc. there is so much black I would agree, I kinda like the contrast of the white/translucent platter. I'm on my fourth alblum now and it is just starting loosen-up/come to life !! Look forward to hearing how you make out with Black Diamond Racing, Thanks Tim !!

also, I must borrow the words of Dan (DTB300), the piano black finish on this thing is "pure eye candy"
    Yes, the fit-n-finish on the VPI stuff is great. I love the piano black finish on mine as well - it just exudes "class". I really am quite happy with my Aerius as well, but I really like what VPI has done with the constrained layer chassis of the III Series. It looks like a mini HRX. Glad you are living in analog bliss Dave.

Hey! I like the Littlelite too...got one myself as you can see - indispensible for those low light level listening sessions!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by MiTT; 12-13-2006 at 05:09 PM.
    MiTT
    Tim Bingaman

All Music...All the time...Commercial Free...

If you want to see System 95 click here